Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Large Bat

Default Pet taking half exp

So I play a mage here on p99 and I only played a mage on live for many years. Im pretty new to server. Pet takes half of your exp when solo'ing unless you do more than 50% damage. According to the Wiki as long as you did at least 1 damage to the mob you were fighting then you would receive full exp, why did this change? As a mage we are built to be solo'ers. We have strong pets and the ability to keep those pets alive. We are not the strongest dps in the game and not always a first selection for a group which is why being able to solo is one of the aspects people enjoy about being a mage. However if you have to out damage your pet to gain full exp then you are basically stuck with 1% a kill. If you are out damaging your pet then you are medding after two kills. So basically you can solo and gain the same amount of exp you would in a full group at a tiny fraction of the speed that a group can kill in or you are forced to group anyway. This a link to a post from a guy that copy and pasted from the Developers corner http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960. It is dated 2002 so im just wondering was that change made later or is this a p99 thing with pets. I love to play my mage as a solo class but it would be incredibly slow to level one up solo'ing so there really is no point unless you are farming for gear. Maybe we all need to just quit and make OP enchanters or rogues with epics at level 1.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Sarnak

Seems like the article you linked was specific to charmed pets v. dire-charmed pets. Magician/Necro pet aren't even addressed.

edit: I shouldn't have skimmed. Says 'summoned' in there.
Last edited by Nocte; 02-03-2014 at 07:02 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Kobold

Mage pets are pretty OP. you should not be trying to out damage your pet, ever.

Either 1)reclaim your pet when the mob is at low hp and finish off with a low level nuke or full XP

2) just toss your fire pet a occasional heal and let him destroy all. While taking a XP hit you will still solo faster than most

3) duo with any other class and the penalty is negated.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

Fire pets were stronger then certain blue con mobs. Mages would go afk with pet at a single spawn, by the time it repop'd the pet regen'd full hps and just left there mage afk exping over night while in bed.

At that point it went to 1 damage for 100% exp, later changed to 51% or more unless grouped, I don't know why but its screwy, it also affects anyone with a pet including charmed mobs.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) duo with any other class and the penalty is negated.
Which isn't historically accurate either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueuser [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems there was an additional caveat on live that isn't in effect on P99:
Quote:
I was just informed by Scott Hartsman that I made a mistake about the pet experience thing. Pets only take experience from a group if they outdamage the entire group. If they do, then they gain a share as if they were a group member. If they do not, they take no experience at all.

This is how it's been working the whole time, and it makes a lot more sense. I'm sorry for the mistake.
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20030...ML/000514.html

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Large Bat

Situation 1 - You are soloing and you have a summoned pet or a charmed pet (not including Dire Charm)- read atleast before you add a comment thanks, that was for Nocte post about my link, its in the very first paragraph lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Sarnak

Whoops. Thanks for being a sweetheart about it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Large Bat

fire pets are stronger then most blue cons? people im not talking about level 4 mages ok, yes you are right level 4 mage pet is stronger then most blue cons. My mage is level 30 and fire pet gets raped by blue cons i have to heal him constantly just to keep him alive, there is no chance of me even doing damage if I want my pet to live. I want to know why this was changed, why do mages need to do 50% or more damage to gain full exp while solo'ing, why was it changed?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Large Bat

mage pets are not that overpowered. it is recommended that mages chain cast pets at higher levels in order to kill 1 mob. If pet is OP then why would that be necessary. My pets DPS is not very high at all. Pet misses more then half the time when attacking, if you relied on pet damage alone your dps would be very little. This post really has nothing to do with that fact regardless but why mages ability to solo and gain full exp was nerfed in the first place.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Large Bat

Was it like that on live? In other words, did pets take half the mage's exp on live if they did majority damage? I don't remember that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]