Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

Default PoP starting to dwindle...hovering close to 300 now

The other week, I made a post about the population going below 400. People chalked it up to being holidays. Now the population is starting to hover near 300. I know a few people who already left because of the grind, people just zoning over and over to avoid pvp etc.

Any thoughts to improve? Things like lovely exploiting his way to 50 really does not help matters.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

Fixing the numerous game-changing (breaking) issues would be a good start.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Kobold

im surprised there are as many as there are that will put up with the xp rate tbh, its brutal as fuck and im a no life loser who loves the old sting again but i can see with adhd and WoW players nowadays mmo pop really isnt looking for this, clearly hardcore niche. also darwoth.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

I gotta be honest, I love the nostalgia, but my body just isn't ready for this grind, especially with swtor and gw2 coming out soon.

I think not having a boosted xp rate, and not having some form of item loot, makes this server feel too much like blue99.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

pop is right where i expected it to be at this stage, number of new release wow knockoffs and their betas coming out, most of the bluebies went back to argueing over who gets to campo what on the blue server and the add retards that want max level 3 days after logging in are finishing fading out.

when things stabilize peak will have 250 - 350.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

You really can't blame the dwindling population on the slow grind. Slow exp makes people log in because there's more they have to do. Every other pvp server started to lower in population once everyone hit 50 in a week.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think it's fine, if you're so worry, advertise to other popular boards.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really can't blame the dwindling population on the slow grind. Slow exp makes people log in because there's more they have to do. Every other pvp server started to lower in population once everyone hit 50 in a week.
coming from a bluebie... I quit playing on red once I got sick of the slow exp (a. being classicly slow exp, b. being pvp makes it hard to sit down and grind). I've already spent an eternity grinding on Blue, don't really feel like doing it again. It gets rid of the casual players like myself.

Not that I think exp rate should be increased, but yeah you can blame dwindling population on a slow grind.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchew [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on Blue
as i said
Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree on that, but also agree that the exp grind here is simply too brutal - particularly with all of the pointless hybrid/race exp penalties.

I've spent 15+ hours on my paladin (having turned in 60+ gnoll fangs for exp), and I'm level..... *drum roll* ..... eight. Level 8. I'd say 95% of the players in the Qeynos area skirt PvP and even help eachother simply because they don't want to make the early grind any tougher than it already is.

I don't think the server is in trouble because the pop is in the 300's - at least not yet. Didn't most people predict it would start in the 400's and drop to a steady 300'ish? If it goes down to 200's, then it's cause for major concern.

I'll float this out here again: I think serverwide ooc/auction should be re-considered given the current population. The channels right now simply go completely unused, and I've had some unguilded friends talk about quitting because they are lonely and bored.

The divide between the casual and the hardcore player is going to widen, which will mean a gradual decline in people stuck in the early levels. I really feel like the server would only stand to benefit if the 1-30 grind was increased substantially (the 30-50 grind could stay brutal), or we're going to see casual players that are level 18 four months from now with nobody to group with and nobody to talk to.