Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should the Summoned:Sword of Runes be fixed?
Yes, it is broken and way too overpowered! 45 56.96%
No, leave it working as is. 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb Sword of Runes - broken/overpowered?

Anyone else agree that the Summoned: Sword of Runes (lvl 29 mage spell), being able to proc on any target, mob or player for 41 or less unresistable damage is broken and overpowered?

The proc itself (as per current ZAM data) is a lvl 8 spell, Ward Summoned, which shouldn't even exceed 14 damage, and should only target summoned mobs exclusively, just like Ward Undead should only hit the undead.

I know many people here will say, "hey...that's the way it was in classic!, and only fixed during Velius era." Just cause it was broken on Eqlive, doesn't mean it should be broken on every other progression type server too.

There are many things that weren't fixed/taken out in "classic" that were taken out here already for the sake of balance! Those overpowered insta-cast AE Wands were classic, and they were taken out right?
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Last edited by Scrooge; 12-19-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Please shut the fuck up about this already. They just got nerfed and to be honest weren't even a big deal in the first place.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone else agree that the Summoned: Sword of Runes (lvl 29 mage spell), being able to proc on any target, mob or player for 41 or less unresistable damage is broken and overpowered?

The proc itself (as per current ZAM data) is a lvl 8 spell, Ward Summoned, which shouldn't even exceed 14 damage, and should only target summoned mobs exclusively, just like Ward Undead should only hit the undead.

I know many people here will say, "hey...that's the way it was in classic!, and only fixed during Velius era." Just cause it was broken on Eqlive, doesn't mean it should be broken on every other progression type server too.

There are many things that weren't fixed/taken out in "classic" that were taken out here already for the sake of balance! Just to name a few:

-Those overpowered insta-cast AE Wands were classic, and they were taken out right?

-The Pet XP 75% penalty for soloing pet classes that do not outdps their own pets wasn't put in into P99 until very recently, yet Red99 started with it.

-What about mobs not dropping player-given items? Like weapons or anything else for that matter. That's how it was in classic after all.

-Druid/Necro Charm being MR based
The sword discussion by itself is fine. Using ad hominem arguments for most of your examples weakens the discussion for me. :P

Not everything is always developed on time, and there are continuously new features being added. Lots of them are overdue.

Quote:
-The Pet XP 75% penalty for soloing pet classes that do not outdps their own pets wasn't put in into P99 until very recently, yet Red99 started with it.
It was implemented on both servers at the same time, because r99 is an exact copy of p99, minus timeline differences and pvp. This has absolutely nothing to do with sword of runes, or trying to nerf pvp players over pve.
Quote:
-What about mobs not dropping player-given items? Like weapons or anything else for that matter. That's how it was in classic after all.
This is just a bug. Has nothing to do with sword of runes. Developers have looked into fixing it more than once. It's a complicated fix because it opens up the possibilities for item exploits.

This is the first time it's been asked of me... do I personally think the sword of runes should proc on any npc? I do for a classic museum, yes. For actual gameplay? No.

If the majority of players think it should be removed, this is a non-classic 'pick and choose' change I'm comfortable with making because they add X amount of dmg to any fight.

There was lots of complaints before.. about how 'we didn't add sword of runes procs on all npcs because we arbitrarily choosing classic elements'. Now, the exact same argument is made in opposition of them.

At the end of the day, people will blame the developers either way. So, people reading this, stay the fuck on topic and not try to relate this topic to everything else you think is wrong. With the last patch, the procrate on the swords was changed to its classical rate. After the patch, how does everyone feel about it?

Sword of Runes is the topic
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
VIP / Contributor

Hmmm at one point, if i remember correctly, I thought the swords procced on anything as long as it was in a pets hand and not a PC. Then they changed that so it only procced on what the spell required it to. I have no evidence to back this up, only 10 year old resinated memories...
Banned

this post upsets me.
Planar Protector

since its been nerfed it should be good now so at least the casuals have a chance to take some benefit out of it too now till it will be changed in some months.

there is just one thing that made me mad about all of this: only insiders did know about this so I'd recommend to make an own spreadsheet on p99 wiki about all classical changes made and when those changes will be rolled back. same with drops like guise, manastone etc
Old 12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
since its been nerfed it should be good now so at least the casuals have a chance to take some benefit out of it too now till it will be changed in some months.

there is just one thing that made me mad about all of this: only insiders did know about this so I'd recommend to make an own spreadsheet on p99 wiki about all classical changes made and when those changes will be rolled back. same with drops like guise, manastone etc
dude, you guys ask so much and give so little.

Also, what do you mean "only insiders knew"? Everyone who has seen a pet on blue knew. The rune sword proc was not a secret by any means.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

Procs about once per 30 seconds, not op doesn't matter.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The 14 dmg bit hurts your argument a lils. This proc correctly should be doing 38-45dmg (iirc) or w/e it does now, not 14.

As far as proccing, seemed like a bug to me that they fixed once but left out pets. Then they finally fixed it on pets, but it took them quite awhile. I defer of course to the devs on this grayer area.

What *should* be fixed is animals being able to use swords (shaman pets, charmed elephants/griffs/dogs). If you can't visibly wield a weapon you shouldn't proc it. I don't remember too many animal type npcs that drop'd proc weapons off the top of my head but I'm very certain I never saw people doing this with shaman pets, only ENC/NEC/MAG.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Um... No. they are fine now.

14 dmg, what are you, new?

So Immersed
Closed Thread