Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Default Northface worth it?

I know I sound like a tool, but I want to get one this year. I keep hearing how fucking warm and long they last. I don't like big hefty jackets for warmth. anyone have one? or yall just rockin Colombia?

also expensive as fuck!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Fire Giant

L.L Bean flannel jacket.

$80
Old 09-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

I have had many different brands in the past few years.

The best is Patagonia, period. Theirs are the warmest and best made.

North Faces are not as warm as you are thinking, unless you go with a full goretex one, and even then, I am a bit skeptical.

If all you care about is staying warm, then do what Zadrian says and buy a flannel jacket, it will keep you much warmer than a North Face or anything like it.

If you really want to be warm, buy some lined bib overalls. I have a Carhartt pair and it is next level warmth.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Fire Giant

I live in one of the coldest places in North America.

I bought my first North Face last year, and it is truly awesome. I went with a Goose Down Parka.Besides the standard stuff it has a media pocket and headphone conduit built in which is nice.

We had the coldest winter in 100 years last year and i honestly never was worried about anything covered by the jacket... extremities got a little frozen more then once.

Big Plug for Northface and for Sorel Boots from me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod View Post
if pitborn isn't online in your emulator, it probably should be wiped clean.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

I love north face. Good quality jackets. Like Tewaz said, make sure you get a good one with goretex. Patagonia makes great jackets too but I always thought northface looks better.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know I sound like a tool, but I want to get one this year. I keep hearing how fucking warm and long they last. I don't like big hefty jackets for warmth. anyone have one? or yall just rockin Colombia?

also expensive as fuck!
I worked for REI for a few years a while, so I may be able to offer some advice/suggestions. What are you looking for/talking about specifically? Base layer, fleece, soft shell, down jacket, etc? Where do you live/what is the climate like? What activities are you looking to do while wearing said piece of gear? Do you have a price range?
Bhear Ghrillz - Level 51 Druid - Dial A Port | Oggre - Level 44 Warrior | Revenance Vampirus - Level 40 Necromancer | Mottley Crue - Level 30 Rogue | Renovatio - Level 3 Cleric | Abradolf Lincler - Level 40 Cleric | Drowning - Level 35 Enchanter | Oradan Omnipotent - Level 57 Magician | Chubbz Zilla - Level 40 Monk - Scaled Brotherhood
Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

im looking at the denali hoodie one, its like $300 from what I understand and I don't mind it. I live in Chicago suburbs so it gets real cold outside. and the weather has been fucked up lately just a couple days ago it was like late November weather. so i want to have some high quality warmth. i don't want the big winter jacket yet. although i might get one later in the year. and i want to wear it around the house also with that being said it has to be one of the sweater/hoodies, so not a big coat
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Do what the bears do. Eat like crazy all summer, add a few extra layers of fat, and sleep all winter.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

goose down best down
Old 09-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im looking at the denali hoodie one, its like $300 from what I understand and I don't mind it. I live in Chicago suburbs so it gets real cold outside. and the weather has been fucked up lately just a couple days ago it was like late November weather. so i want to have some high quality warmth. i don't want the big winter jacket yet. although i might get one later in the year. and i want to wear it around the house also with that being said it has to be one of the sweater/hoodies, so not a big coat
We used to laugh at all the people who would come in looking for that. It's not a bad jacket, if it serves the functions you're looking for. It was just the "it" jacket for anyone 15-25 or so. It didn't matter what they were looking for, or needed, they just wanted to be seen in that particular jacket.

It's basically just a 300 wt Polartec fleece. Any knockoff or equivalent will keep you similarly as warm, and most likely be a lot cheaper. The Denali has a couple things going for it though. The nylon blended areas around the shoulders are nice, especially if you're a student or carry a backpack/shoulderbag often, it won't wear out/pill the fleece in those areas. The nylon is also give you some water repellency.

Also, unless they changed it on the new models, they should have under arm vents, or "pit zips" as we referred to them. This will allow you to regulate your temperature, especially if you're doing any more strenuous or aerobic activities. Just open the vents, and cool down.

Lastly, the Denali was designed to work with any other North Face outer shells that accept zip in liners. Find a shell you like maybe down the line, and bam, you've already got yourself a removable liner, no need to find another. Obviously it can be worn under any shell, but if you like staying with the brand, it's certainly convenient.

To sum it up, if you're just looking for a warming layer, moderately water repellent, and slightly wind blocking, and if you don't mind the price tag, it's not a bad way to go. If you've got any other questions about the Denali or questions on any others, let me know!
Bhear Ghrillz - Level 51 Druid - Dial A Port | Oggre - Level 44 Warrior | Revenance Vampirus - Level 40 Necromancer | Mottley Crue - Level 30 Rogue | Renovatio - Level 3 Cleric | Abradolf Lincler - Level 40 Cleric | Drowning - Level 35 Enchanter | Oradan Omnipotent - Level 57 Magician | Chubbz Zilla - Level 40 Monk - Scaled Brotherhood
Closed Thread