Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Planar Protector

Default Make public class distribution?

I thought about making this a poll but decided against it since I already made a poll and don't want to saturate the use of it. That and this is something that would have to be moderated or sanctioned probably, in my estimation. The point of the question I'm asking is, do you think that publicly making available the popularity of certain classes in comparison to others might help to fill in holes so people can form solid groups?

For example, what if there're not enough people playing clerics? Or warriors? Or dps? Should we as players know that so we can make an educated choice about which alt to actively play at any given point?

What I'm thinking of is a list of all classes with a % of the population next to each one, and a preferred % attached to it to represent the optimal % for solid groups across the server as a whole. This could further be organized by level: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50. There could also be an activity field added which would represent the % of people in that level range that're actively playing.

---------Overall: Current %/Active %/Optimal % | Lvl 1-10: Current %/Active %/Optimal % ......
Cleric..............................[x]/[x]/[x]............................................[x]/[x]/[x]
Ranger............................[x]/[x]/[x]............................................[x]/[x]/[x]
Druid......
Wizard......

This is of course not classic. It's just something I was wondering about. For example, lets say you got a level 26 cleric that you rarely play. You go to the website and see that there's a shortage of active clerics 21-30 and 31-40. Using this knowledge, you decide to play the cleric after all.

Or do you think this is too much information? Or not relevant? Remind you of population control? Should we control it by default, or only control it in certain circumstances, or just let nature do its job?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by stormlord; 03-29-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Kobold

Druid 40%
Magi 25%
Necro 25%
Ranger .01%
Paladin .01%
All others [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

I see something like this being welcomed in a WoW community.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Aviak

You're trying to describe this:

See Aion: http://na.aiononline.com/livestatus/server/
Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

I think this would be a pretty cool idea - but not sure how the community would receive it. In light of keeping everything classic, this probably wouldn't fly. But you never know... Great idea though!

And as to my opinion on Class Distribution... tanks are needed. I've been monk tanking all week (which isn't bad with a cleric by your side). And I have yet to group with a warrior (they are more rare than a Ranger, which I've grouped with!)!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

i wouldn't think anyone would try to keep this secret -- it just seems like a pita to compile all the data
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wouldn't think anyone would try to keep this secret -- it just seems like a pita to compile all the data
select class, count(distinct player) from players group by class
Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
select class, count(distinct player) from players group by class
This is a very complex sql statement!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

so, it'd be easy to do? wouldn't it be skewed data though due to peoples' playtimes not being represented, just character levels? also, wouldn't the data be skewed towards level 1s? if good data were easy to get i'd say let's go for it
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so, it'd be easy to do? wouldn't it be skewed data though due to peoples' playtimes not being represented, just character levels? also, wouldn't the data be skewed towards level 1s? if good data were easy to get i'd say let's go for it
That's the rub.

You could certainly do something like the following:
select class, count(distinct player) from players where level > 5 group by class

Furthermore, you could (I assume) filter based on last login:
Code:
select p.class, count(distinct p.player) 
from players p 
left outer join accounts a on p.account_id == a.account_id
where p.level > 5 and now() < adddate(a.last_login, interval 7 day) 
group by p.class
which would give you (minus some syntax and obviously the fact that I'm taking a shot in the dark at the schema) players over level 5 whose accounts have been active in the past week.

This is all based on data I would expect to be available. There's probably a better way of representing someone's "activity" level, but without knowing the schema it's pretty hard to speculate on.
Last edited by Ferok; 03-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: code tags
Closed Thread