Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 AM
Kobold

It would be funny to run around on a server like that just shooting arrows at mobs people are fighting so they lose all that exp. Hilarious.

Anyway, I like the idea of a timed lifespan. Ban PLing and have characters that eventually time out and return to level 1 with some or all of their gear.

Last edited by Randy; 03-02-2015 at 01:53 AM..
Old 03-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just had an idea for p99 after Velious: A ruleset for individual players called 'Hardcore Characters'. You'd flag at the Priest of Discord in any town by asking him to flag your character.

The rules would include:

-Can only flag at level 1, and all gear and spells in your possession would be deleted.
-Can't receive outside help with NPCs. The moment you receive outside help, you get a 85% penalty to exp gained from the kill.
-Cannot be buffed or healed except spells cast on yourself or by an NPC.
-Cannot accept items or money in trades.
-You cannot loot any items or money from an NPC if you did not kill it solo.
-85% exp penalty for the Hardcore Character upon entering a group.
-Corpses cannot be rezzed with this flag on.
-Exp Gain increased by 250% while following all of the above rules. (ie; if you join a group, the bonus is negated and a 85% penalty is applied)
-This flag can never be turned off.
-Characters would have a silver name while this mode is enabled.

There is an optional 'super hardcore' mode, all previous rules apply and:
-Cannot use the bank under any circumstances.
-All bags appear as non-bags to your character and will refuse to store items.
-Characters would have a black name while this mode is enabled.

Would you play something like this? I would.
I am for special rulesets, but I don't get this one. What's the hook here exactly?

Getting a 250% exp bonus for solo'ing doesn't seem hardcore to me. It seems like easy mode, even with the restrictions you mentioned. I guess it would be substantially harder for non-solo classes, but even then.

Not being able to accept rezzes? That's just weird. Its like being not able to accept ports or have your corpse dragged. It isn't hardcore mode its just slowing you down with an artificial and not fun time sink.

Anyways, I'm all for special rule-sets, especially temporary ones that don't impact the integrity of the server. I would be up for having a "GM event" with a rule-set like this where the first person to lvl to 60 received a reward of some kind, etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

I do not like his idea ^^ but then, I suppose it was not aimed at me ^^ Iam down with the 85% do penalty and even harsher death penalties, but the rest seems to turn the game into soloquest, gutting our beloved mmorpg of its mm.... ^^
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

I'm sure after Velious is released, people will be too busy playing Pantheon II and Half-Life 4.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hardcore to me always implied permadeath. I'd play on a server with the same rules, but with an EQ-style permadeath - corpse locked on dying and 100% xp loss (down to level 1, 0 xp) which can only be countered by a Cleric rez.

That would be a neat little project if the devs ever got bored with P99 stuff.
It's a video game. Using the word "hardcore" to describe a video game, its rules, or its participants, suggests only and exactly that the poster is delusional and needs desparately to reconnect with the real world.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

I'm all for a challenge, but this honestly sounds worse than dark souls.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a video game. Using the word "hardcore" to describe a video game, its rules, or its participants, suggests only and exactly that the poster is delusional and needs desparately to reconnect with the real world.
Honestly can't tell if you're trolling. So... well done?

Also, a dude.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly can't tell if you're trolling. So... well done?
I'm an old guy. In my youth I encountered the term "hardcore", and it was used to describe unusually dedicated Army Rangers and Marines along with most anybody who was Special Forces, SEALs, Air Force Search & Rescue, and select other crazies like Smokejumpers. It has always struck me as lame and utterly lacking in perspective to use it to describe a ruleset for a video game. The curse of a living language I guess, wannabes and marketers and politicians will corrupt anything and everything and the mob goes along thoughtlessly.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm an old guy. In my youth I encountered the term "hardcore", and it was used to describe unusually dedicated Army Rangers and Marines along with most anybody who was Special Forces, SEALs, Air Force Search & Rescue, and select other crazies like Smokejumpers. It has always struck me as lame and utterly lacking in perspective to use it to describe a ruleset for a video game. The curse of a living language I guess, wannabes and marketers and politicians will corrupt anything and everything and the mob goes along thoughtlessly.
That is literally the same meaning of the word. How are you not understanding this?

(People who prefer an easier-than-normal path) Casual <----- Normal ----> Hardcore (preferring a harder-than-normal path).

Is all the military circle-jerking draining the blood from your head?

Also, a dude.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is all the military circle-jerking draining the blood from your head?
take your excess saltiness to RNF, pal
Closed Thread