Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Player - Where do I begin?

About to start an Iksar Monk but I haven't played since classic EQ. Just curious if anyone has any good links to some guides for someone basically new to the game. I'd like to try to see as much of Kunark as I can since I've never seen any of it before. Is it feasible to stick to Kunark?

What are some must see spots?

Any guilds out there?

What are some spots I can solo as a monk if I can't find anyone to group with?

(Mods if you're seeing this I made a post in Server Chat but it never showed up and I figured this would be a more appropriate place for such a post)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Fire Giant

Pretty much all you need is here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page

and here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide
Last edited by Canelek; 08-14-2017 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: added additional link
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Sarnak

Posting this here since you made two threads:

I strongly, STRONGLY suggest that since you plan on Iksar Monk (best class ever!) that you watch the Youtube series Everquest Classic Adventures by Reptox, an Australian player who documented his travels.

Here is the first episode
It starts off slow, but after about 3 episodes he really gets great at telling a story and taking you on an epic journey. I was a completely new player when I saw these videos and they are what made me try P99 for the first time. I cannot stress just how much information and help I learned from these videos.

(Just a word of warning, he does change youtube accounts about halfway through the series. The series continues on the new account with this video)
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Fire Giant

You can stay on kunark for all of your characters life if that is what you want to do. First, FoB and Kurns, then probably lake of ill omen until about 30 (random mobs first, then sarnak fort), then you can move to the frotier mountains giant fort and then to overthere and city of mist. In the 40ties dreadlands can be fun.

All these locations are solo friendly. If you like to group there are several nice dungeons in kunark, but for some of them you need to bring your own group. Generally you will profit from at least having a healer with you, makes things faster.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Sarnak

The first thing I did was found a company called the Itsy Bitsy Spider Trading company to raise funds for gear. A few of my fellow hatchlings would farm spiderling silk in field of bone and run it to EC to sell by the backpack. This was pre-velious so things have changed quite a bit since then. I'm sure that there are things these days that would sell well in bulk. It's important to point out that selling in bulk allows you to make sales to those players who don't have time to sit around buying things a stack at a time. For example, a 60 necro might be willing to drop 200p (or whatever) on a backpack of bone chips, if it means he won't have to stock up for a while. Gearing yourself from nothing was something I took quite a bit of pride in.

Is this the most efficient use of your time? No way. You are better off power gaming to 60 any way possible in crap gear and worrying about funds and gear once you get there. That is not my playstyle. It took me 2 years of regular playing to get to 60 and I don't regret a moment of it. This is a video game in which there is a lot of depth in the sub 60 game. Do yourself a favor and just be a n00b. Make dumb decisions. Spend money on fashion quest. Make friends. Find adventure. Have fun.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanshub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first thing I did was found a company called the Itsy Bitsy Spider Trading company to raise funds for gear. A few of my fellow hatchlings would farm spiderling silk in field of bone and run it to EC to sell by the backpack. This was pre-velious so things have changed quite a bit since then. I'm sure that there are things these days that would sell well in bulk. It's important to point out that selling in bulk allows you to make sales to those players who don't have time to sit around buying things a stack at a time. For example, a 60 necro might be willing to drop 200p (or whatever) on a backpack of bone chips, if it means he won't have to stock up for a while. Gearing yourself from nothing was something I took quite a bit of pride in.

Is this the most efficient use of your time? No way. You are better off power gaming to 60 any way possible in crap gear and worrying about funds and gear once you get there. That is not my playstyle. It took me 2 years of regular playing to get to 60 and I don't regret a moment of it. This is a video game in which there is a lot of depth in the sub 60 game. Do yourself a favor and just be a n00b. Make dumb decisions. Spend money on fashion quest. Make friends. Find adventure. Have fun.
First thing I did on my first character was farm 1000 Spiderling Silk in that little cave in the fIeld of Bone, then run to EC using nothing but the P99 map as a guide. NOt only did I get a bunch of plat, but i had an amazing adventure.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

Add Amyas to your friends list and hit me up in game. I'll get you off to the right start.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Aviak

Default iksar monk

my main is a lvl 40 iksar monk hit me up for pro tips.

swooshin

there is a spider cave in Fob lvl 3-4ish with a named mob drops crappy newb gear buts fun fob experience, also named i have killed a dozen times Carrion Queen likes to hang out between ruins and road at bottom of hill from Cabillis she is a hard lvl 8 i think,

lvl 10 Kurns like everyone said.. but lvl 19 when u get FD hits up kurns yard trash.. start picking fights.. pull wolfs into burynia or marauders and let them fight to the death and then finish off the survivor./.

fd non stop until u arnt failing and hit me up when ur 20-22? and ill see if we cant run you through Dal'Nir for some crescent armor. im still rocking my set at 40 and its not bad

and Monk is a great solo class, i basically hang out in zones with easy blues i can fight on 50% health than bandage between fights and go again. -(cheap mans fungi tunic)

also you can FD/AFK - go do house chores. come back full health with mend up

but best exp is a dou with necro or dou with shaman.

... Good Luck! and i also usually keep some some decent weapons in bank for new players. nothing like a decent weapon to change low lvl game play/.

(dont forget to keep 1hb,h2h, and 2hb up)
and bind forage and sense heading to your strafe keys
and Medicine bags sold by female vendor upstairs in FoB weigh alot less than rhino hide bags..

--- but i would leave kunark at lvl 24+ visit EC tunnel sell ur bone chips and whathave you as mentioned but also camp Shralok in Kirchicor forest .. and do the hole high keep thing.. there is a bank in zone which if faction is up and u can sneak/ fd use i think

Crystal caverns in velious (lvl 34?)was good for that same reason bank on bottom floor. and group members always got a kick when they were invising and levitating to float down I would just jump down and FD when i landed.. lol

but stay in kunark if u want.. its possible. (sow potions easly bought in EC save alot of time running through some of those big kunark zones though.. LoIO, Fm, OT, DL

good luck!
and have fun!
most peeps on p99 blue are real generous and kind!
only ran into one guy who had a stick up his butt. but he was a necro... and might have just been role playing... but idk....
Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fd non stop until u arnt failing and hit me up when ur 20-22? and ill see if we cant run you through Dal'Nir for some crescent armor. im still rocking my set at 40 and its not bad
Let me know and I'll tag along to watch and not intervene in any way *cough*.

-Mcoy
Old 08-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Kobold

Gah dalnir run sounds amazing ive never been there
Closed Thread