Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

So here is something. I went into my desktop (windows 7) color settings (control panel -> appearance and personalization -> display -> calibrate color). After completing the prompts, I went back into game and it was 100% fixed.... until i camped. As soon as I /camped to character select, it reverted back to dark as hell. The game is doing something to your desktop gamma settings. I don't know how.

While at character select I completed the process again. While entering the game, it reset to really dark again.

While I would really not want to go through this process each time I log in, relog, etc. It is a temp fix that hopefully gives some of you guys info as so why/how EQ is doing this.

Edit:

It is almost as if the game is ignoring your system gamma and forcing its own gamma onto the user during the loading process. While that's fine, its currently a little too dark.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellringer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is almost as if the game is ignoring your system gamma and forcing its own gamma onto the user during the loading process. While that's fine, its currently a little too dark.
I'm a bit confused about a lot of the comments where people are questioning why EQ suddenly controls your OS gamma settings - wasn't this always the case? I get that it was likely dependent on your system, but as long as I can remember window mode always made the rest of my desktop washed out.

Seems like they just "locked" a max gamma. Which for people who didn't have it change their OS gamma it suddenly does?

I dunno. I don't get it. All I know that we can do is report what type of system we have and describe what is going on and try our best to screenshot/record it.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The game is doing something to your desktop gamma settings. I don't know how.
Pretty sure they are forcing it on the system settings using their nifty DLL they have running to track down multiple IP address infractions, botting, hacking, etc.

Not classic, but for what it was being used for (curbing hacking) and not what it could be used for (gathering system information, keyboard logging, etc), most people weren't complaining.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused about a lot of the comments where people are questioning why EQ suddenly controls your OS gamma settings - wasn't this always the case? I get that it was likely dependent on your system, but as long as I can remember window mode always made the rest of my desktop washed out.
Never happened to me using WinEQ2 and either ATI or Nvidia cards (I had both at different times) once windowed mode was made available. It's possible WinEQ2 had some sort of fix that it ran to prevent the washed out desktop.

Also, even if what you say happened did - that's the complete opposite of what's happening on P99. I could deal with my desktop being washed out, but P99 is making the desktop gamma lower which makes doing anything else on my computer a huge fucking chore. The worst part is when closing EQ it doesn't restore the gamma correctly.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

Hokay.

Windows 7
AMD Radeon 6700 Series (6770 I belelive)
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
4 GB RAM
Old 12-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure they are forcing it on the system settings using their nifty DLL they have running to track down multiple IP address infractions, botting, hacking, etc.

Not classic, but for what it was being used for (curbing hacking) and not what it could be used for (gathering system information, keyboard logging, etc), most people weren't complaining.

Never happened to me using WinEQ2 and either ATI or Nvidia cards (I had both at different times) once windowed mode was made available. It's possible WinEQ2 had some sort of fix that it ran to prevent the washed out desktop.

Also, even if what you say happened did - that's the complete opposite of what's happening on P99. I could deal with my desktop being washed out, but P99 is making the desktop gamma lower which makes doing anything else on my computer a huge fucking chore. The worst part is when closing EQ it doesn't restore the gamma correctly.
Have you done any of the suggestions in this thread? I.e., not use wineq, set to 100% and camp fully/restart, etc?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Talked to a few folks in game (and out)

I'm a statistician IRL and I'm going to ignore everything I know

People who think it looks decent/classic/not awful = desktop
People who think it's literally unplayable = laptop
People who don't care = zanderr = mac desktop and laptop and no shits given

Causation and stuff
I liek!!!1

I run bootcamp on an iMac and play in windowed mode through WinEQ 2...you do not want to play full screen on a 27 inch monitor. I downloaded f lux per Cucumber's advice, and that seemed to make everything much better. You can just disable it when you're not playing the game if you don't like how it tints your monitor to protect your eyes.

I have not tested on my 13 inch macbook pro bootcamped.

Yeah, it looks different than before, but with f lux, it's pretty tolerable. Long-term I suppose it would be nice to have this fixed or reworked, and I can sympathize with people who don't want to put more software on their computer to make the game run better. However, for the time being, I highly suggest trying f lux.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by zanderklocke; 12-02-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

have ultravision, light source, 100% gamma, just maxxed my screen brightness. I can see but this is not ideal.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Aviak

WinEQ has an option called "lock gamma" that seems to prevent whatever this horrible dark filter is.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you done any of the suggestions in this thread? I.e., not use wineq, set to 100% and camp fully/restart, etc?
I don't use WinEQ2 on for P99 as the default windowed mode with Titanium client has always worked fine for me.

Also, you and other people suggesting 3rd party program like F.lux to get around the issue makes you guys sound like total hypocrites. Play without F.lux if you want the intended developer experience rabble rabble.

I don't want to have to use WinEQ2 or F.lux to get around this issue, doesn't that prove the whole change is retarded?

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, definitely install f.lux and just crank it to the brightest setting for now if you haven't. Plus f.lux is awesome in general.