Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Kobold

I'm not sure why people don't understand that a game can request to change the system gamma. It's not a conspiracy involving the staff installing spyware in the patch. This is something that is normal, you can test it by running games in windowed mode and adjusting the graphics settings. Some games will adjust the settings (temporarily until you exit) for the whole system. The under options for your graphics card you will find something which says Choose how color is set...A - Other applications/games control color setting or B - Use(force) nvidia/ati/system etc settings.

The problem is that now you have to force the system to run gamma higher than 100% in game. When you exit the settings no loner revert to your default and have to be manually adjusted every time. It sounds like a rework is in the pipeline which is good news!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Using photoshop I altered the kunark loadscreen to match what I'm seeing since this patch went in. I tried doing this with my cellphone but the images are so crappy looking I feel it would just confuse the issue more.

First image is the un-altered Kunark loading screen. If your system gamma is currently normal, it should look normal. Second image is an extremely close approximation of what I now see as my loading screen. I'm running winXP with a Geforce 8600 GT, latest drivers.

http://i.imgur.com/VLNgTFW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/POQf1Hr.jpg
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was my change FYI. And it looks great on machines I used to test. Not too dark, unless you were in a dark dungeon with no light.

Testing these type of changes for the masses is difficult, except on beta. I have another attempt to fix, but it may never get tried due to the complexities of testing.

If I were able to reproduce the results other have had, then I could test if it is possible at all.

To the people screaming and complaining: It was put out to test on the beta server. Testing takes place on beta. Get used to it.

H
Hi Haynar, i would want to say you that it Darkenst same way than in beta when i try to log in into blue (to Character Select screen....)

60 Shaman - Spertox <Omni>
Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was my change FYI. And it looks great on machines I used to test. Not too dark, unless you were in a dark dungeon with no light.

Testing these type of changes for the masses is difficult, except on beta. I have another attempt to fix, but it may never get tried due to the complexities of testing.

If I were able to reproduce the results other have had, then I could test if it is possible at all.

To the people screaming and complaining: It was put out to test on the beta server. Testing takes place on beta. Get used to it.

H
I would request this change not go live until it is perfected at a later date. Even if it's non-classic, the pre-patch gamma was great as-is.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I shouldn't have to deal with a darkened gamma forced on everything else I am doing outside of this game.
LOL I thought I was just losing it... but did it really darken my browser
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Aviak

Understood that this change is for testing on the beta server, but will this change be rolling out to blue along with the recent Dec 1st patch notes? Haynor can you confirm?

Hope this change isn't rolled out until all the kinks are worked out because the problems seem widespread (1 in 3 messages in ooc are about how dark the game is). For me the game is close to unplayable (super dark, ui is darkened). I've used flux, maxed gamma, have ultravision and light source and it is still really dark.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Developer

Cant confirm, but would expect the gamma changes to not go out as is.

H
Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL I thought I was just losing it... but did it really darken my browser
I mite just be losing it
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Cant confirm, but would expect the gamma changes to not go out as is.

H
Any chance you can expound on this a bit? Not 100% clear currently.
Agoraphobia - Rogue
Refund - Enchanter
Stryche - Shadow Knight (Current toon)

<Azure Guard>
Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicatin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any chance you can expound on this a bit? Not 100% clear currently.
Srsly? He was perfectly clear.