Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Kobold

Default Any problems logged with Pottery recently?

I tried to raise my pottery skill this morning from 21 to 120+ for the Thurg gate potion, and got very very low skill up rate.

I followed the wiki, doing Unfired Small Bowls and got 6-7 skill-up for maybe 60 tries. I got lots of fails but that's ok, trivial is at 102... I got the feeling that skill up is more frequent when you succeed, as i got a little better rate by doing Ceramic Lining (trivial : 36)

I got no problems with smithing and tailoring Monday, getting a skill up each 2 3 tries max.

Last info, I got around 180 str and 165 int with TS stuff.

Any advices / comments? May this thread must be locate in the bug forum instead?

Thanks !
Loukhum, 49 Ogre Shaman
<Europa>
Old 08-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Aviak

I raised it recently to like 135, did notice I would get no skill up for long stretch and then there will be 2-3 skill up on consecutive attempts. I guess this is normal, really have nothing to compare it to.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Fire Giant

Default Pottery

Not sure if you already leveled it up or what, but the wiki's suggested path is missing a couple steps that cost a bit more (a lot more than their path, but still not very much in the grand scope of things), but produce skill-ups MUCH better I found. I just recently did 4-122 pottery myself. The path I did was Medium Jars to 36, Smokers to 82, Small Bowls to 102, then the Medium Bowls to 122, hope this helps someone.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if you already leveled it up or what, but the wiki's suggested path is missing a couple steps that cost a bit more (a lot more than their path, but still not very much in the grand scope of things), but produce skill-ups MUCH better I found. I just recently did 4-122 pottery myself. The path I did was Medium Jars to 36, Smokers to 82, Small Bowls to 102, then the Medium Bowls to 122, hope this helps someone.
Mmmh it seems coherent with my feeling. I gonna test it tonight. thanks!
Loukhum, 49 Ogre Shaman
<Europa>
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Fire Giant

The fastest way to level a tradeskill is to actually make something. If your skill is 1 and you try to make something thats trival at 102 you fail to make it almost ever time so you dont get a lot of skill ups.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fastest way to level a tradeskill is to actually make something. If your skill is 1 and you try to make something thats trival at 102 you fail to make it almost ever time so you dont get a lot of skill ups.
Thats why you raise your int or wis to get a better chance of skilling up on a failure.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This right here. I did pottery 21-120 just this week. People writing those guides discount the fact that your skill up % get a small bonus from successful combines. So while a little more costly making some of those other combines. It goes quicker
Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

The formula for determining whether you get a skillup or not is described here:

http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/show...killup-formula

There are two checks that you have to pass to get a skillup. The first one takes into account your character's WIS or INT or other primary tradeskill stat, a difficulty modifier for the tradeskill you're trying to raise, and whether or not you actually succeeded in making anything. Every point you can increase your primary tradeskill stat will increase your chances of passing 0.25% - 0.5% depending on the difficulty modifier of the tradeskill. Succeeding in the combine will double your chances of passing this check.

And there's a second check to make it more difficult to gain points as your skill increases. Your chances of passing this check go from almost 100% at skill 0 to a minimum of 5% at skill 190. That's right. At 190 and above you will never have more than a 5% chance to skill up.

The bottom line: to maximize your chances you need to maximize your INT or WIS or other primary stat at 255, and you need to make things that are close to but not quite trivial. And no matter what you do skill gains at high levels are going to suck.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Skeleton

It still seems too difficulty to skill up, I gave the first 80 medium jar combines a try this today with an 85 int bard and only got from skill 0 to 9 during that time. I'm not sure but it seems like I'll need to do atleast 2x the combines listed in the guide. Wasn't it generally considered that the guide was made for any character regardless of their int/wis? Was it classically like this?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Didn't read thread.

On live pottery was the same as leveling other skills, but you could buy pretty much everything from merchants, and could have it skilled up very quick. Around Luclin or PoP they made pottery more difficult to skillup, which is probably what you're experiencing here.

No I have no proof other than remembering how glad I was to have skipped pottery up a month before the change went live. It's still not hard, just more tedious.