Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

Great patch. Thanks, guys. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
if you are strictly following the timeline
It's not even realistic to expect them to follow the timeline exactly. With their limited time and resources, I laugh inside every time someone expects Kunark to be made x months to the day from the moment the server went live, especially considering this post. Scroll down to Aeolwind's post. The change was put in to address a risk vs reward imbalance, leaving those in game for too long, especially one that inflates an economy to this extent, is a bad thing for everyone. If everyone and their brother hadn't spent all day, every day, farming the hell out of the easy plat right next to the vendors 24/7, they might coulda let it slide longer. The players vote on where to swing the nerf bat, with their feet.

Quote:
i would have to say that your proof counteracts the changes of this because as you can read before your bold print toward the end of the first paragraph it clearly states
If you want to argue what they could better spend their time on, consider what they could spend time on if they weren't called to justify every single change to a couple of folks who have contributed zip to the community, made no personal effort to understand what's realistic within the limitations of the project, and want to come in and play dolly dressup lawyer over every damned detail. Let alone be more willing.

Sometimes what's not in your best interest, is in your best interest.
Last edited by mmiles8; 07-14-2010 at 04:07 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Sarnak

To the dev team ... be carefull of the side effects when you start "balancing" out stuff in a way that is not classic:

1°) Some people will stop looking for historical data cause "what's the point? The dev team will implement it the way they want anyway".

2°) You will be harassed with balance requests "hey you nerfed this. Why don't you nerf that?"

3°) There will br growing concern from the player base thinking that some arbitrary decisions (because balancing is always subjective) may have been taken by people who have interest in those.

Not a good move. Give a clear explanation each time you do something that wasn't classic, or the side effects I enumerated (and you don't want) will occur
Kaska, Phantasmist <Divinity>
Fuam, Druid 57 <Divinity>
Willo, Cleric 54 <Divinity>
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good, so here's a perfect example of a change to something that does not make sense and was fixed by Verant at a certain point much later in the timeline than was done here on this server. A post above showed this change didn't go in until after Kunark was released.

I agree that it doesn't make sense from a risk/reward standpoint, but you can't make that change if you are strictly following the timeline. Otherwise by the same reasoning, I would ask that you remove the class-based XP penalties which also were stated by Verant as not making sense, and change them earlier in the timeline as you have done here with the guard spawn time changes.

Again, tremendous amount of respect for the amount of time you guys put into maintaining this server for us, and I'm not trying to be rude or imply you're accountable to us in any way, but don't you see it's a tad hypocritical to have it both ways? This change kinda shows you're intentionally picking and choosing things to fix ahead of the classic timeline.
Well said sir. I am in agreement with the above and the respectful manner in which it was expressed.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Sarnak

Think People just in generally (incl myself) expect the P99 to be an exact copy of the EQ timeline on live, wich when you sit down and reflect on it just isn't fair to expect.

The P99 Team is by far as big as Verant/Sony.

The EQEmu isn't a 100% copy of EQlive. It's propably not more than 80% correct. There is countless things that just can't be made work 100% like EQlive with EQEmu.

And yet we expect things to be 100% correct.

Wether It's correct to make certain patches to stabilize server economy even its not 100% consistent with EQlive timeline ... hard to say

Personly, I think people have considerable more platinum on P99 than they had on live, so Yes, I think its fair to do it. There is too much plat flowing around allready.

But then again. personly I'd also like something added to eg. Lower Guk named camps that would make it very undesirable to try solo camp these spawns, just like city guards.... but again that aint classic, as necroes always used to solo these things to make huge amount of plat on selling fbss, ssoy, smr and 2h mithril.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
We're all sick of this classic, not classic, oh it's classic again, tug of war bullshit.

You guys are fucking retarded. Seriously.
Have you considered cancelling your account and demanding a refund?

These guys put forth THEIR OWN TIME to create something. If a handful of you have nothing better to do than come along and contribute jack squat to the project, but expect to tear them down for what they're trying to do, leave.

These people are human. All humans have a burnout meter. I'll be damned if some whiny thumbsucker gets the pleasure of pushing them closer to burnout because his misery needs some company.
Last edited by mmiles8; 07-14-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles8 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you considered cancelling your account and demanding a refund?

These guys put for THEIR OWN TIME to create something. If a handful of you have nothing better to do than come along and contribute jack squat to the project, but expect to tear them down for what they're trying to do, leave.

These people are human. All humans have a burnout meter. I'll be damned if some whiny thumbsucker gets the pleasure of pushing them closer to burnout because his misery needs some company.
^ this
What the fuck is wrong with some of you? (and by some of you, I mean Charms atm)
Seriously, can you not understand that they make some changes outside of the time line to benefit the server? Unless you are just really pissed off that you cant make extreme amounts of plat and exp at the same time anymore, and are just venting, I don't understand.The server will never be 100% classic, that is a fact, but they are trying to recreate it as best they can, like adding in shared exp penalties. But if something is fucking up the server, like a huge inflation of plat, or no one hunting in dungeons, then they are going to fix it, and for good reason too (especially if it was changed in the classic era)

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Last edited by utenan; 07-14-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for the Pet fixes Haynar! I can definitely notice a difference for the better.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ this
What the fuck is wrong with some of you? (and by some of you, I mean Charms atm)
Seriously, can you not understand that they make some changes outside of the time line to benefit the server? Unless you are just really pissed off that you cant make extreme amounts of plat and exp at the same time anymore, and are just venting, I don't understand.The server will never be 100% classic, that is a fact, but they are trying to recreate it as best they can, like adding in shared exp penalties. But if something is fucking up the server, like a huge inflation of plat, or no one hunting in dungeons, then they are going to fix it, and for good reason too (especially if it was changed in the classic era)
The point is we're asking for consistency in how these changes are made.

They can't say "Well, this was changed after Kunark but we're changing it now because Verant admitted it was a bug at that point and fixed it" regarding the guard spawn times, yet at the same time say "Well, the class-based XP penalties were changed in Velious because Verant admitted it was a bug at that point and fixed it, but.... yeah, we're just gonna leave it in because that's how it *was* back in classic, dudes. You all dealt with it in classic, so that's how it is here."

Yes, I know "yes they can say that, STFU and GTFO if you don't like it", but I guess I'm looking for these changes to be made consistently, reasonably, and rationally. Instead of just "Hmmm that makes the game harder for the player and existed at some point in the Classic/Kunark/Velious era... ADD IT NOW!@# Hmmm that makes the game easier for the player... hold off on that one until it actually happens in the original timeline."

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by doacleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guard changes were made because they were highly unbalanced. For a pure risk vs reward standpoint, killing guards offered far less risk compared to a dungeon (sow available, zone lines available, less trains, etc), while offering spawn rates 4x that of a dungeon. In other words, a far easier encounter that potentially offers 4x the experience. It didn't make sense, and thats why it was fixed by Verant back over a decade ago.

Again, we have nothing against players hunting guards. EQ has never placed any restrictions upon what you can and can't kill (like WoW for example). But there has to be a certain amount of balance in the game.
I totally agree with the reasons for doing this both by the P99 staff as well as Verant back in the day.

However, even I'm a little surprised that this was changed pre-Kunark.
May of 2000 should be after Kunark is released, after The Hole and a few months before epic quests go live. Besides following progression, it also makes sense since there is so much more content available for the population.

What could be changed now is the guard stats. That would roughly fall in line with classic progression.

(I have never killed a single guard yet on P99 myself so this doesn't effect me at all, unless you consider how many more people will be LFG in dungeons now).

---------------------------------------------

On a side note, I'm also excited to hear about the pet fixes!
Closed Thread