Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Large Rat

Smile This EQ sever is....?

So... I recently attended the midnight release of Starcraft 2 and while there met an individual who spoke a great deal about Everquest while we were on the topic of MMOs and his discription of what classic ever quest was like is so mind-bogglingly different from mainstream MMOs like WoW that I was amazed and sad I missed out on a great era of gaming. Then I youtub'd Classic Everquest just to get a look at what it used to be like. There was a related video that led me to finding this site.

NOW from what I understand in this "classic everquest" server:

You are (severally) penalized for dieing,
Zones are expansive
Boat rides take time
Is not easy brainless button mashing ( at least not like 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead(and all that within 90 seconds))
If you die finding your body could be difficult.

Or at least something like the above. I'm looking for a more challenging MMO. Is that what everquest is like? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Hope so cause I'll be a happy leveling maniac if it is.

Any insite would be highly appreciated. ^_^
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

That's one part of it. I think the biggest part about the classic everquest experience is that the game almost forces you to interact with others. Higher level mobs (and some camps) are extremely difficult to solo, if not impossible.

People on this server are in general also very helpful and fun to interact with. No matter what class you are, you can almost always find some way of contributing to the community.

Hope you enjoy the game! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

Yes.. and yes..

Although - there is a portion that's a 'grind' to it, of course. You may end up in a zone killing bandit after bandit.

It will be just a smooth grind fest of XP. This is... assuming you can.

1. Break the Camp decently
2. Maintain the DPS to keep the mobs dead enough before new ones spawn

Breaking the camp - no, not at all mindless button mashing. You may need to 'lull' some of the mobs to keep them from assisting the one you pull - or control them when they do come (crowd control) or 'split pull' with a class that can feign death...

Some camps are pretty easy to 'break' - others can be quite difficult. The idea being if each mob spawns every 12 minutes, you'll want to kill one... wait a minute.. kill another... etc - so they don't spawn all at once the next time. Some people seem to have serious trouble with this concept, lol.

Unlike many MMO's mobs are not 'tied' together in 'locked encounters'. Nor is any encounter 'locked' - if you pull a mob, beat on it for 5 minutes and it's at 60% health and some jackass comes and burns it down in seconds - doing more than 50% of the damage - it's his kill.

Not that it happens often - but it can.

Yes, corpse retrieval can be a serious test in dedication, patience, and tenacity. There is no 'soul rezzer' - if you cant get it - somehow and can't get anyone to help... Well, you can keep at it.

I've been persistent enough to always get my corpse back in EQ. (there is a /corpse command that you or other - with your consent /consent helpfulperson can use to pull it to a safe spot)

One thing that's also cool about the game is that you can make decent money just by killing and selling junk - by and large. Unlike WoW - where 90% of the money you get comes from the auction house.

You aren't penalized for deaths at all - until level 5, then you loose XP. No 'debt' or anything - yes, you can loose a level and probably will. Of course, you can usually get it back moderately fast, it just sucks when it's a 'spell level' and you get gimped by one death.

No 'quick travel' - short of being a class that can do that - like a Druid or a Wizard. You'll have to wait on boats, run decent distance, and along those routes - danger certainly exists...

A lot of other - well, LOL!! MOST MMO's - the whole group, like a bunch of lemmings can just charge full speed into many dungeons, and DPS it down. That won't work here. You'll need to learn how crowd control works. Not too difficult at all - although *some people* will make you think it's like advanced calculus.... learning not to break 'mez'. (mesmerize)
Last edited by Overcast; 08-04-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So... I recently attended the midnight release of Starcraft 2 and while there met an individual who spoke a great deal about Everquest while we were on the topic of MMOs and his discription of what classic ever quest was like is so mind-bogglingly different from mainstream MMOs like WoW that I was amazed and sad I missed out on a great era of gaming. Then I youtub'd Classic Everquest just to get a look at what it used to be like. There was a related video that led me to finding this site.

NOW from what I understand in this "classic everquest" server:

You are (severally) penalized for dieing,
Zones are expansive
Boat rides take time
Is not easy brainless button mashing ( at least not like 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead 1 1 1 he's dead(and all that within 90 seconds))
If you die finding your body could be difficult.

Or at least something like the above. I'm looking for a more challenging MMO. Is that what everquest is like? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Hope so cause I'll be a happy leveling maniac if it is.

Any insite would be highly appreciated. ^_^
well i can speak for everyone when i say we are insanely jealous of you as a first time player.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Kobold

I think one of the main things that makes EQ tough is the learning curve. There is a lot to this game that must be learned before you are successful at playing it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Sarnak

I don't think EQ is harder than, for example, WoW. It just requires more time to get anything done. Time != effort.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Large Rat

^_^ Now I'm pumped to bittorren it up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. This does seem to be what I'm looking for.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think EQ is harder than, for example, WoW. It just requires more time to get anything done. Time != effort.
Agreed. I'd play Eve but.... its just to much...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes.. and yes..

Although - there is a portion that's a 'grind' to it, of course. You may end up in a zone killing bandit after bandit.

It will be just a smooth grind fest of XP. This is... assuming you can.

1. Break the Camp decently
2. Maintain the DPS to keep the mobs dead enough before new ones spawn

Breaking the camp - no, not at all mindless button mashing. You may need to 'lull' some of the mobs to keep them from assisting the one you pull - or control them when they do come (crowd control) or 'split pull' with a class that can feign death...

Some camps are pretty easy to 'break' - others can be quite difficult. The idea being if each mob spawns every 12 minutes, you'll want to kill one... wait a minute.. kill another... etc - so they don't spawn all at once the next time. Some people seem to have serious trouble with this concept, lol.

Unlike many MMO's mobs are not 'tied' together in 'locked encounters'. Nor is any encounter 'locked' - if you pull a mob, beat on it for 5 minutes and it's at 60% health and some jackass comes and burns it down in seconds - doing more than 50% of the damage - it's his kill.

Not that it happens often - but it can.

Yes, corpse retrieval can be a serious test in dedication, patience, and tenacity. There is no 'soul rezzer' - if you cant get it - somehow and can't get anyone to help... Well, you can keep at it.

I've been persistent enough to always get my corpse back in EQ. (there is a /corpse command that you or other - with your consent /consent helpfulperson can use to pull it to a safe spot)

One thing that's also cool about the game is that you can make decent money just by killing and selling junk - by and large. Unlike WoW - where 90% of the money you get comes from the auction house.

You aren't penalized for deaths at all - until level 5, then you loose XP. No 'debt' or anything - yes, you can loose a level and probably will. Of course, you can usually get it back moderately fast, it just sucks when it's a 'spell level' and you get gimped by one death.

No 'quick travel' - short of being a class that can do that - like a Druid or a Wizard. You'll have to wait on boats, run decent distance, and along those routes - danger certainly exists...

A lot of other - well, LOL!! MOST MMO's - the whole group, like a bunch of lemmings can just charge full speed into many dungeons, and DPS it down. That won't work here. You'll need to learn how crowd control works. Not too difficult at all - although *some people* will make you think it's like advanced calculus.... learning not to break 'mez'. (mesmerize)

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ Yayness thanks for taking time to describe to this extent.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Kobold

As long as you can handle the 11 year old graphics you'll love it.
Closed Thread