Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Orc

I don't remember it not working either. I've never played first person other than adjusting to traveling needs that I can recall.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Skeleton

I also kite using the tap turning method described by Falkun and Juryiel. It’s definitely possible in first person, but more difficult. Also, I was able to strafe in Velious on live quite easily by using mouse-look and auto-run while turning.

This thread may be a bit misguided to begin with because bard AoE kiting absolutely happened on live during classic, at a scale similar to what people attempt on p1999. However, the knowledge of various methods for bard AoE kiting are more widespread on p1999 due to YouTube and the fact that mostly veterans of EQ play on this server.

I also believe what Falkun said about having an easier window to land the AoE on classic is right too (although I'm not sure how, the range should be the same). I almost never AoE'd on live anyways because it was more dangerous and required a lot of focus…I usually opted to swarm kite instead, which seems to not work very well on this server and thus everyone AoE's instead.

So far I've tried to teach a few other bards to AoE kite and recommended several YouTube videos as a reference, yet I don't think any of them really managed to pick it up. My point being that it's already pretty difficult and takes practice. Even once you've got it down it requires a lot of concentration, some danger of physical strain, and of course there's the high risk of dying (admittedly, this is easily outweighed by the exp rate).

I think the main thing to succeeding at AoE kiting is to keep your moves consistent and change one thing at a time until you land the DoT, then remembering what kinds of moves you made to get there. With practice, this method can be applied regardless of where the camera is, and dedicated bards will be able to kite as long as the classic mechanics aren't nerfed.

TL;DR: Strafing and AoE kiting happened on classic, AoE kiting was/is difficult on both p1999 and classic, and most folks I knew (myself included) generally preferred swarm kiting (which doesn't quite work on p1999) because it was less demanding mentally/physically.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

I think you're wrong on multiple assumptions.. Not only can you tap turn to AE kite, but it's both easier and safer compared to strafing.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoneo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ Mouse wheel and strafe both worked on live in 99. You got this all wrong Secrets.
No, Secrets is definitely right on the scroll wheel. I want to say that was added around luclin, possibly late Velious because I specifically remember the patch and thinking, neato, now I don't have to deal with those weird pre-defined camera angles for my screenshots.

I am not sure about strafe keys though. I ya be just used right mouse click + left/right to strafe though I cannot recall if that was how it worked in Classic or not since it never much mattered as I spent most of my time on my ass.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

I have mass aoe'd in first person with just tapping the right key.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Skeleton

I think Secrets is referring to the method wherein, at the end of your tightest circle, you strafe across the mobs to land the AoE.

It's easier to get close to the mobs that way without getting hit. I've been able to land dennon's using just tapping, but to land chords of dissonance on p1999...I'm not sure there's a way to get close enough without taking a hit if you don't strafe.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Banned

I tried to bard kite once but I ran out of desk

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Sarnak

Tap circled while looking at the ground (so I wouldn't get graphics lag) and damage spam off; using points of reference on the ground to determine the circle size.

"Living my life 6 seconds at a time." - Unknown
Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh what?! Lol mouse wheel worked in 99 also strafe. This is all wrong.
This is false regarding the mousewheel. Case and point: EQMac client. Try and do it on the EQMac client, then get back to me.

Strafing did work in 1999 but only while holding CTRL. I'm moreso referring to the only modifier that is allowed for strafe is CTRL in classic, refer to the EQMac client again for that.

As for the right click to Strafe function, it did NOT work in classic unless you are talking about first person camera views.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Last edited by Secrets; 01-09-2015 at 11:09 PM..
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Kobold

I've leveled two bards on this server to 50+ using AoE kiting. I did it without using the mousewheel (nor zooming in/out at all)
Closed Thread