Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Kobold

Default Barbarian Weapon Question

I have a level 56 barbarian shaman that I haven't played in months. Now that my cleric is about to reach level 60, I'm probably going to pick up the shaman again. I don't want to be a shaman that sits around and right clicks my JBB for dps and buff bots during down time. I'm curious as to which weapon is better for an active melee dps type play style, Granite Face Grinder (better damage ratio) or Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer (with the proc). Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

I hear that Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer procs like mad.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Fire Giant

It doesn't proc nearly as much as it did pre-kunark but BSH is still the way to go imo
Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Planar Protector

I'd trust procs over melee skills with a Shaman in the high levels. You're gonna get 2-4 procs per min which on a PWS or Barb Hammer *should* give more damage. Procs don't scale with spell/item haste or skill points either. Maybe a Sham with a cloak of flames would maul with a grinder.

Total speculation though. Never played a sham past 24 to be honest.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

Finding a rogue to duo with and going max ac imho.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiskull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a level 56 barbarian shaman that I haven't played in months. Now that my cleric is about to reach level 60, I'm probably going to pick up the shaman again. I don't want to be a shaman that sits around and right clicks my JBB for dps and buff bots during down time. I'm curious as to which weapon is better for an active melee dps type play style, Granite Face Grinder (better damage ratio) or Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer (with the proc). Any input would be much appreciated!
Keep clicking JBB
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep clicking JBB
Yea, even when I have 255 str and AQ with a GFG, I still do less damage than spamming JBB unless its a highly resistant mob
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

You're going to be doing wayyy less damage in melee, as well as putting yourself and your group at greater risk, with a melee weapon instead of using the total no-brainer JBB.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're going to be doing wayyy less damage in melee, as well as putting yourself and your group at greater risk, with a melee weapon instead of using the total no-brainer JBB.
I disagree with you when you say that you put yourself and your group at greater risk. While it all depends on level and camp, Shamans are built to be able to take a few hits, especially on a slowed mob. Whether I would like to admit it or not, I have been the tank for a few groups, and managed to do the job quite well.

I do agree, however, that JBB is higher DPS in 99% of cases, so if you can afford one, stick it with and find a main/offhand with a decent amount of either wis/hp/mp/sta on it so you can buff up your mana/hp pool for canni and spells.

Doing melee in a group, especially when you will never likely pull aggro, is not going to put your group in danger, but it is questionable as to how beneficial it will be to the group as your damage output will be poor.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

You may disagree that it puts a good team in "great risk" but it's definitely greater than sitting back clicking. Forget aggro as much as having a clear view of adds and what-not.

If a jbb is more damage the only reason not to use it is if you can't afford one. Boring or not sometimes numbers just work that way. I certainly would rather have a shield in the offhand and give up my melee dream in that case.
Closed Thread