Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

Default AE groups in Chardok – tactical question

Gnomish Greetings!

When I did AE on live in Sebilis we always used an inside corner to AE the mobs. The enchanters would wedge themselves in the corner in order to have the greatest chance to channel through the hits – because the mob was less likely to move them. The wizards would use Thunderclap to faced toward the corner to push the mobs as far in the corner as possible so that the puller had more room to arc into the AE range with more mobs.

The times I have been in Chardok the AE groups have used the outside corner by the entrance. It would seem to me that the enchanters would have a higher chance of being pushed along the wall and be interrupted than they would wedged in an inside corner. Why do they do this? Is there a problem with the zone that makes this a better tactic in Chardok?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Push is very, very rarely the cause of an interrupt in there. 95% of the time an interrupt is caused by a bash or an instant death, neither of which are stopped by casting in a corner.

Besides that, I assume that corner is used because it is right by entrance allowing for the easiest set up, safe medding, quick CRs, and the use of pullers who need to gate out to clear aggro but still want XP.

I guess you could use a real corner to fight in instead of a corner to lure mobs around, although it seems like that would have the potential to have deaths on pull because of spells going off on the cleric between DB and DA or enchanters being targetted with nukes by mobs that haven't reached the pack yet once stuns have begun or mobs getting bugged into walls.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 04-05-2014 at 12:31 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

I would say the main reason is mobs bugging in walls. Having an inexperienced DPS push mobs towards the wall can have the mobs warp out of stun range...summon you across the map. Not fun.
Mackaroni <Seal Team> - Human Monk
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

The reason that groups use the corner they use is for positioning caster NPCs. If you use any of the other corners, casters can potentially be separate from the melee NPCs due to casting.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

^
Line of sight forces the casters to come around the corner in the same location as the melee. If you posted up in any other corner at the entrance they'd stop and cast a round before running up into melee range. Since pulls take longer than the duration of Aura + Barrier this would lead to dead clerics on every pull as there is really no way they'd survive being cast on by the number of casters who come in.

Also, Live Sebilis AOE groups only brought 12-15 mobs at a time. In Chardok there are 120+ mobs. If someone screws up a stun rotation than the entire group dies pretty much instantly. There will be the odd couple of mobs who resist and get some attack rounds but that's much more preferable over having your cleric nuked to death mid-pull.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 04-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

i miss AE in seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

Why is AE in Seb not possible?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is AE in Seb not possible?
It is. It's just not worth the risk/reward compared to Chardok.

Pulls are manual and smaller.

Mobs are SoWed. Unlike Chardok, you can't really go non-kos to pull shit from way back. Chardok is also structured where you don't even need to be non-kos to pull either. In order to pull a huge pull in Sebilis, you would need no mobs to see invis, so that you could root a mob and then invis to the group. This might have been reasonable prior to the patch that made more stuff see invis.

I guess you could pull a ton of mobs in Sebilis via mobs falling through the world at either Disco or Chef, but I don't know why you would do that instead of going to Chardok.