Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Skeleton

Default High merchant prices, or am I just forgetting?

Been 8 years since I played EQ1 (been playing EQ2 for a long time), but I just started a baby cleric yesterday. He's an Erudite, hailing out of Qeynos right now. So I went to buy him leather armor, remembering that ac was king in this game and leather's a great way to get ac early on cheaply. Plus, erudites in leather looked awesome.

Then I checked merchant prices.

2pp for the legs! Most pieces over 1pp! My jaw dropped. But then I thought about it this morning... wasn't the money conversion different in EQ1?

So, could someone refresh my memory? 2pp - does that equal 200gp (as in EQ1), or does it equal 20gp? If it's 20, that's no big deal... 200 would be nuts.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Sarnak

Money is based on 10 here. 10gp=1pp
Hope that helps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

it would actually be better if they used x100 conversion...
I would not have to carry around piles of plat then...
Silver coins would actually mean something...

I remember when i went to play eq2 and ask my RL friend who was already playing for some start up money.. he gave me 5 gold [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I said WTF? he said - this will get you all the twink gear you need... he was right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

The above posters are correct....10gold=1plat.

However, you can save yourself some money and have some fun by making your own leather armor. Just combine the proper pattern and a ruined animal hide in a sewing kit. Much more rewarding to make it on your own [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Skeleton

Nice, thanks. I'll try the sewing thing, I actually wasn't even thinking of that.

As for your friend, yeah, 5gp will get you decent newb gear, but at lvl 90 trash mobs can drop 8-10gp each. He could've at least given you 1pp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Try and find a tailoring vendor in particular (with sewing kits and patterns), they are more likely to have patchwork and tattered pieces already made by passing players if you have a bit of spare cash from selling rusty weapons etc etc.

Also a quick note, though its generally common knowledge - you'll need ruined cat pelts to make medium armor as an erudite, bear pelts are for the "large and in charge" and wolf pelts are for the scrawny gnome/wood-dark elf types [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Skeleton

Doh, bummer, I haven't seen any cats around Qeynos hills. Wonder if I can survive the trip through highpass at lvl 5.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doh, bummer, I haven't seen any cats around Qeynos hills. Wonder if I can survive the trip through highpass at lvl 5.
That would be a harrowing trek, for sure
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Aviak

Don't remember the female merchants name right off hand (she is on the left side of room as you enter the door), but she is in Mac's Kilts in Halas. Turn in white polar bear pelts to her for free leather.

I guess you can do it as an Erudite Cleric.
Human Shadowknight
Oddkin
Darkelf Necromancer
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That journey is the very essence of classic EQ. I request, nay DEMAND, that you at least try!
Closed Thread