Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm off of work until Monday (procedure is Wednesday), so hopefully that's enough time!

I'm making a big ol' pot of chicken + rice soup for the recovery time. Plus I am using it as an excuse to eat as many mashed potatoes as I want. Don't judge me.
I wouldnt suggest the rice. those grains will get stuck in the holes in your mouth and could cause all kinds of issues.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not meaning to be a fear-monger here, but this statement is uneducated and under researched.

I'm unable to comment on Shanna's particular instance, but the wisdom teeth removal industry is a fraud perpetuated by A) dentists and B) big pharm (specifically pain killers) to fleece insurance that the rest of us pay for.

Google deaths from wisdom teeth removal. People die almost every day from having this procedure, so they're really starting to crack down on unnecessary removals.
Yeah, the truth is on the internet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The only danger I could really foresee is going completely out and not coming out. There is some danger of death from shock or infection too. But all these are absurdly rare.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

nothing ever goes wrong or they wouldn't do it

best mindset because you're gonna do it anyway
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So nobody was totally put under?? fffuuuu----

Will my mouth taste like shit? Like blood and other goopy bodily fluids?

My office requires someone sit in the waiting room during the procedure to ensure I have a ride home. Probably because I'm going to be all fuxed up on anesthetic.
I was totally under - I had all 4 out at once. When I woke up everything but my teeth hurt. I was laid up for about 3 days. Be careful rinsing and you won't have any issues with fluids.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Necessity of having them pulled is arguable, but in the USA we aspire to have good teeth. Based on culture or pharmaceutical greed, doesn't matter. You're going to do it anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sularus Oth Mithas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was totally under - I had all 4 out at once. When I woke up everything but my teeth hurt. I was laid up for about 3 days. Be careful rinsing and you won't have any issues with fluids.
My jaw was sore when I woke up. I swore the doctor braced his foot on my chin to yank one of them out.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Kobold

I had mine out last summer. Was put under, which was freakin' awesome, I'd like them to just knock me out the second I enter a doctor's office in the future.

In short -- hate needles, hate blood, hate anything being done to me. No big deal.

I'm good with pain, though. It did hurt a bit at home at the start, but I took the tylenol and it was okay after a couple of hours. Surgeon said the side that hurt he "had to be rougher with" -- very glad I wasn't awake.

Female. Didn't get dry socket. Just follow the rules.
Last edited by thrump; 07-01-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Lot's of good info and stories in this thread. I appreciate it :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldnt suggest the rice. those grains will get stuck in the holes in your mouth and could cause all kinds of issues.
Ack, good idea. Will ditch the rice.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Was it awful? How sedated were you? Was recovery a pain in the ass?

I'm pretty nervous about it (happening on Wednesday) mostly because they have to knock me all of the way out. WHAT IF I DON'T WAKE UP? WHAT IF I'M STILL CONSCIOUS DURING THE SURGERY?
I had all 3 of mine out about 30 years ago. I wasn't sedated. Just a bit of local. One would have been impacted, if allowed to continue growing (and the dental insurance company didn't want to cover that one ?!). The surgery was split across two visits-- one Friday, one Monday. It's an extremely weird feeling to watch some guy intensely unscrew things out of your jaw, but I'm the type that likes needles and blood and stuff. Raavak, you're not too far from the reality. It looked like he was bracing his foot on my chin (but it was probably the chair)... and unscrewing, unscrewing, chisel chisel, unscrewing... fun! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I used plenty of ice, afterwards, for the swelling, but there wasn't a whole lot of pain. I was on no meds, other than Advil. But I'm the type that would rather endure a little pain than take painkillers. Stiches fell out in several days. IIRC, the inflamation/swelling caused a serious post-nasal drip that gave me a sore throat afterwards. That was the worst of it.

If you have a history of bad reactions to anesthetics, then I would make sure the dentist knows. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry much.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Fire Giant

+ 1 for no rice.

Had mine out a few years ago. Was put completely under. Just felt like I dozed off for a minute, didn't even realize they were gone at first.

Didn't bother me much during or after. Was fun to poke at the holes with my tongue til they healed up =p
Closed Thread