Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Planar Protector

Default Property is theft.

Still you are yet to put together a cogent argument against this point.

There are several valid criticisms of this idea, of which my favorite is "fuck you, I am a greedy bastard and I like the idea of owning private property," but no-one has put one forth.

First, we have to understand that the phrase refers to land and excess resources, rather than possessions and use-rights. Understood in this, the proper fashion, one can see that theft does not in fact presuppose property in the sense that I am using property, and is clearly a valid proposition.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still you are yet to put together a cogent argument against this point.

There are several valid criticisms of this idea, of which my favorite is "fuck you, I am a greedy bastard and I like the idea of owning private property," but no-one has put one forth.

First, we have to understand that the phrase refers to land and excess resources, rather than possessions and use-rights. Understood in this, the proper fashion, one can see that theft does not in fact presuppose property in the sense that I am using property, and is clearly a valid proposition.
Yay more inane drivel brought to you by hasbinfat
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yay more inane drivel brought to you by hasbinfat
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

So your telling me an agreement between two or more people to respect possession is theft?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Fire Giant

So how do you build anything if no one owns land? Who has the right to build there?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Sarnak

we stole it from the injuns fair & square
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, he's saying that the money in your pocket is fiat which means it's not backed by any gold or silver and is actually a debt. Therefore, you own nothing, you are stealing. As in theft.

BURN
No one was contending this. And he didn't state this. He's talking about barter or any form of property. Not currency. No where did he say money, fiat, or debt.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So your telling me an agreement between two or more people to respect possession is theft?
what about people who are not in on this agreement?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Planar Protector

To be clear: the type of property i am referring to as theft is "private property." This is mostly distinguished as exclusionary "owned land" and exclusionary "excess resources," as opposed to "posessions" and "personal property," which can be seen as "things you need or have some use-right to" and "use-rights to land" and "things which are produced from the land you're using, within reason."
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

And yes, this comes mostly from Proudhom, but has been a major theme in philosophy in general since then, being added to and discussed by many. And no, I am not trolling, and by that I mean I am an artist.