Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 07-20-2023, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone actually tested this with harmony? I feel like it didn’t work on spells with longer recast times for whatever reason. Could be wrong though, maybe I just didn’t get the timing down.
You need to set a timer for X seconds (recast timer) - Y seconds (cast timer) + 0.5 seconds (padding) and wait for that timer to finish before casting the spell again.

You cannot finish casting the spell, click your GCD, and then immediately recast Harmony. You will get the "Recast timer not met" error message.

You can test this on any spell that has a recast timer significantly longer than it's cast time.

The reason why you probably think it doesn't work is because it's not really worth the trouble to do this on a spell with a long recast timer. You typically only apply this strategy to spells like Cannibalize. The recast timer and cast timer are similar enough to where you can spam the spell faster without a timer.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-20-2023 at 04:38 PM..
Old 07-20-2023, 04:37 PM
Aviak

Thanks all, if anything I need a 2 min timer from my first harmony cast to make sure it doesn't start fading before I start pulling.
Old 07-20-2023, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks all, if anything I need a 2 min timer from my first harmony cast to make sure it doesn't start fading before I start pulling.
That makes sense.

Using this method https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...69&postcount=6 , You would be able to Harmony 9 times instead of 8 before the first Harmony faded. Not a huge boost, but it's something that may help you on a specific camp. Or you could Harmony 8 times and have an additional 17 second padding to do whatever you need to do.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-20-2023 at 04:48 PM..
Old 07-20-2023, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, your point wasn't correct. If you just click the GCD item right after you cast Harmony, and proceed to cast the spell without using a timer, you'll get a "recast time not met" failure.
If you instead put the spell in a non-top spell gem, then the GCD item is not relevant; the gem will remain grayed out for the full 12 seconds and no cooldown time will be saved.

DSM's description is the only way to reduce the cooldown, and does so by as much as is possible.
I wasn't saying DSM's whole post was wrong; almost everything he said was correct. All of this GCD stuff works fundamentally the same as it does for a resetting slow (a mechanic that DSM and I, both being Shaman players, are very familiar with).

I quoted one specific sentence in my reply, about a separate timer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to keep a separate timer so you know when there is only 3 seconds left before the server recast timer finishes.
Myh point was, it doesn't matter when you click the GCD reset: you only need one timer (for 9.5 seconds), not two separate ones.

In retrospect, I'm honestly not even sure if DSM even meant "separate" as in two timers, or as in "separate from the in-game gem timer". But either way, the point of my second post was, he could have just agreed that "you don't need a separate timer" ... but instead (in typical DSM fashion) he responded with three argumentative paragraphs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Myh point was, it doesn't matter when you click the GCD reset: you only need one timer (for 9.5 seconds), not two separate ones.

In retrospect, I'm honestly not even sure if DSM even meant "separate" as in two timers, or as in "separate from the in-game gem timer". But either way, the point of my second post was, he could have just agreed that "you don't need a separate timer"
You only need one timer you keep track of yourself via your phone, computer, gina, etc. This timer would be for 9.5 seconds, so you can know when to cast Harmony again. As for your point, it wasn't clear at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Couldn't you just click the GCD item right after you cast Harmony, and not need a timer?
As you can see, you simply asked if you needed a timer at all. There is nothing here about two timers. Your comment was vague, and didn't specify you were confused about what I was saying with regards to what I meant by "separate". We are not mind readers, so if it isn't in the text you write, we can't see it. Thank you for clarifying, and I agree I wasn't very clear about what I meant by "separate". I was trying to drive home the point that the timer that you set for 9.5 seconds is not the same as the recast timer. It is a timer you set manually yourself via your phone, computer, gina, etc.

Quote:
... but instead (in typical DSM fashion) he responded with three argumentative paragraphs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your idea that I was being argumentative is nonsense, so please stop making stuff up. Why do you always feel the need to make comments like this? It doesn't help OP, it isn't correct, and it simply makes you look silly. Next time please spend more time writing your comments properly, so we know what you are talking about, and less time posting nonsense like this.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-20-2023 at 07:38 PM..
Old 07-20-2023, 08:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Got it.
I completely misunderstood and thought you meant there was no need to keep a manual timer apart from the built-in UI spell gem cooldown.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason why you probably think it doesn't work is because it's not really worth the trouble to do this on a spell with a long recast timer. You typically only apply this strategy to spells like Cannibalize. The recast timer and cast timer are similar enough to where you can spam the spell faster without a timer.
This gets used a lot for CotH accelleration. Playing a Rogue, I didn't know about the mechanics mentioned here until very recently, when someone pointed out I wasn't CotH botting as well as I could while manning a bot to help CotH a raid to triples. I wasn't using a GCD reset to interleave the cast and refresh time since I didn't realize how the top slot refresh mechanics worked and didn't think there would be an effect of resetting global cooldown on such a long recharge spell.

CotH takes 12 seconds to cast and 15 to recharge, so you can save 11+ seconds per cycle if you do it right like you suggested. I think I have since seen some mages suggest using Manna robe as a perfect spacer that also gets a bit of mana recharged for this.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This gets used a lot for CotH accelleration. Playing a Rogue, I didn't know about the mechanics mentioned here until very recently, when someone pointed out I wasn't CotH botting as well as I could while manning a bot to help CotH a raid to triples. I wasn't using a GCD reset to interleave the cast and refresh time since I didn't realize how the top slot refresh mechanics worked and didn't think there would be an effect of resetting global cooldown on such a long recharge spell.

CotH takes 12 seconds to cast and 15 to recharge, so you can save 11+ seconds per cycle if you do it right like you suggested. I think I have since seen some mages suggest using Manna robe as a perfect spacer that also gets a bit of mana recharged for this.
Ah I never thought about that. Nice tip!
Old 07-21-2023, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone actually tested this with harmony? I feel like it didn’t work on spells with longer recast times for whatever reason. Could be wrong though, maybe I just didn’t get the timing down.
It can actually cut a lot of time of COTH too but there is a window where you can outrun the client and get the “this spell is not yet ready” message. Even top slot Flash of Light can be cast too quickly and get the message.

The real answer for this is to practice with a GCD. Whether you want to count a couple seconds or just get used to a slight pause before casting. Much of the game is instinctual and practice, often with silly things.

Edit: didn’t read the second page again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 07-21-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-21-2023, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It can actually cut a lot of time of COTH too but there is a window where you can outrun the client and get the “this spell is not yet ready” message. Even top slot Flash of Light can be cast too quickly and get the message.

The real answer for this is to practice with a GCD. Whether you want to count a couple seconds or just get used to a slight pause before casting. Much of the game is instinctual and practice, often with silly things.

Edit: didn’t read the second page again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You won’t get the msg on coth if you wait on rest of spells to reset then use click to reset coth gcd. Saves couple secs and doesn’t screw ya with msg. It’s just timing it proper. Some spells don’t need it, mage aoe for instance scintillation requires nothing can insta click it.