Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 05:29 AM
Kobold

Yeah, I disagree with Torven on modern QoL features. I don't care about having a "classic experience"... I want to have a fun experience. If I want to play something in the classic spirit, I'd play p99. I quit p99 specifically because QoL was being taken away.

While the current pet XP situation is better than when it was 75% I still don't like it. I'm gonna give the server a try, but if the solution to everything is the nerf bat I may not stay long. For me, the gameplay of EQ is boring and the fun comes from the social interactions that come with it. If any balancing is to be done, I'd prefer it to be done in the spirit of making things more fun and fast instead of slow things down like nerfing pets is doing.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

Well, p99 is meant to be a museum piece, like experimental archaeology experiment to recreate what was. I can see why people are sticklers for classic here.

I don’t think Quarm is trying to achieve that so can be excused to make some fun/qol concessions.

When does quarm start and where is the patch?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Large Bat

The biggest problem I've had with P99 is the fact that its intent was to replicate "classic EQ" for the most part, broken bits and all. While I can't speak for everyone, I can't imagine most P99 players wanted things like pets not persisting across zone lines, basic loot items not stacking in your inventory, no buff timers or DoT messages, etc.

What I've always wanted to see is classic EQ with sensible QoL features included. This seems to be as close as anyone has come to that, and I'm psyched.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, p99 is meant to be a museum piece, like experimental archaeology experiment to recreate what was. I can see why people are sticklers for classic here.
And the "classic museum" concept never works out because it's fundamentally a bad idea. Even P99 developers have made custom changes to fit their own preferences, ie. reversing the boat route through Ocean of Tears, quest exp nerfs, etc.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When does quarm start and where is the patch?
Server starts Oct 1st. In beta currently. Project Quarm uses TAKP client which can be downloaded at TAKP website. OP has link to discord for Project Quarm patch DLL file to add to downloaded TAKP client folder to enable being able to log in to Project Quarm on TAKP login server.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Server starts Oct 1st. In beta currently. Project Quarm uses TAKP client which can be downloaded at TAKP website. OP has link to discord for Project Quarm patch DLL file to add to downloaded TAKP client folder to enable being able to log in to Project Quarm on TAKP login server.
so they haven't made a website yet or a wiki?

now it feels like they are kinda phoning this in

project seemed to start strong, people liked TAKP, but didn't like the boxing. Quarm promised single box takp, and now are basically re-writing it so that the 1 box takp plays like p99.

plus with all the nerfs to what everyone loved about the takp server, buffed xp, no pet xp losses, etc

channeling and resist mechanics actually work right on takp so that whole OP enchanter argument is moot.

im growing a strong feeling of 'meh'
Old 09-07-2023, 03:58 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so they haven't made a website yet or a wiki?

now it feels like they are kinda phoning this in

project seemed to start strong, people liked TAKP, but didn't like the boxing. Quarm promised single box takp, and now are basically re-writing it so that the 1 box takp plays like p99.

plus with all the nerfs to what everyone loved about the takp server, buffed xp, no pet xp losses, etc

channeling and resist mechanics actually work right on takp so that whole OP enchanter argument is moot.

im growing a strong feeling of 'meh'
We'll have a website up soon. Have someone making one currently. It'll be a landing page and a link to the discord / getting started / client custom files patch a-la p99.
Forums are an outdated medium and I don't intend to have one. Wikis should be community-run, as should the reddit, as those are community-hosted resources.
The DB is open source, so I imagine somone will make an alla clone with our data.

So, actually, starting Luclin we'll have the buffed xp. Most of the mechanics like pet xp loss will be gone in Luclin as they'll be not relevant anymore.
Luclin is when the game started to revamp the new player experience significantly which included stuff like partial resist changes, removal of the 1.25x or six level rule, lull changes, focus effects, etc...

So, initially, yes - the game will function more like P99. But over time, the QOL will return as expansions are unlocked, which will actually serve as the new-player the catchup mechanic that the devs decided on in Luclin/PoP.

There's a method to the madness, not just changes for the sake of changing them.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Last edited by Secrets; 09-07-2023 at 04:01 PM..
Old 09-07-2023, 04:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweibierbitte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I disagree with Torven on modern QoL features. I don't care about having a "classic experience"... I want to have a fun experience. If I want to play something in the classic spirit, I'd play p99. I quit p99 specifically because QoL was being taken away.

While the current pet XP situation is better than when it was 75% I still don't like it. I'm gonna give the server a try, but if the solution to everything is the nerf bat I may not stay long. For me, the gameplay of EQ is boring and the fun comes from the social interactions that come with it. If any balancing is to be done, I'd prefer it to be done in the spirit of making things more fun and fast instead of slow things down like nerfing pets is doing.
I disagree with all modern QOL features, but there's something to be said about scrollwheel, a camera that doesn't stutter on moving, spell loadout sets, autofire, buff timers, DoT damage, melody, etc - those are reasonable accommodations for a game in 2023.

They don't fundamentally change the gameplay, which is the most important part of EQ to replicate. But there's some exceptions to even that, too, like monks being awful in PoP for a period of time.

We may opt to apply gameplay changes that would be majorly impactful. For example, CT may be harder than we found evidence of in Classic, as CT was rootable, fearable, snareable, debuffable, etc... as he virtually had no magic resist. He was later changed from a 325 max hit to a 425 max hit in Kunark.

So for cases like that, we'll opt to make the gods harder than they were - likely will make CT have Velious-era immunities but retain their level 55 status until Velious, when the CT 1.0 revamp occurs.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:09 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
things like this are actively reducing reasons to play quarm

if it's gonna mirror p99, people will just remain on p99
The issue is charm is majorly impactful in classic - to the point where it needs a downside. This is the proper downside to charm to prevent its abuse. I heavily dislike how overpowered charm ends up being, so the risk/reward factor is penalized for the only area in which charm matters - rate of experience. Yes, it may impact Magicians and other pet classes, but those are also strong (& grouping will negate the issue entirely, anyway, as the pet change applies to a single pet doing 50% of the damage, so multiple active pets will not reduce experience.

Separately, we've made changes to avoid abuse on launch during the 'level rush' - such as bards being limited to 4 targets at a time in newbie zones like North Qeynos and Qeynos Hills, and 8 (maybe 15) mobs in non-newbie zones.

I think with all the changes we've made, there won't nearly be as much abuse from individual players - and grouping will hands down be the best experience you can have on launch. Some Bard players may get ahead still, same with Enchanters at a specific level. Some folks may opt to do early quests to get out of the launch rush. Whatever the case, I'm excited to see on launch how folks do.

Old 09-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

will quarm still have the max lvl summoned pets only?

on takp all summoned pets are max lvl
Closed Thread