Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

that's a good point

first and only samsung appreciation thread
Old 08-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ahh ok, but if I have a cable box that has an HDMI out, then i'm good to go on that

what is going to be my main difference between, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM-...ywords=benq+27

and

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2720Z-2...ywords=benq+27

in terms of performance and what my eye can actually recognize?
The only real difference is the panel. A panel is like 90% of the performance of the monitor/TV though.

More generically one is using a TN panel and one is using a VA panel. It's odd that they are advertising a VA panel monitor as a "gaming" monitor though, in most regards that is the one thing VA panels are shitty at. TN panels are faster response, but worse contrast radio and color reproduction. So the VA panel (more expensive one) will look nicer but you'll have ghosting/blur issues with fast motion especially while gaming.

You have to be careful with response time measurements. They are like wattage ratings on a stereo - complete bullshit marketing numbers. They usually measure transition from gray to white to gray which isn't real world meaningful, and if you were to measure to the exact same monitor black to white to black it would be much higher, which is usually the kind of actual performance you'll see especially in gaming.

Without seeing them its hard to tell, but it is unlikely I'd pay double the price for a VA panel, especially when both are at the 1920x1080 resolution point. I'm a big fan of S-IPS panels, even for gaming now that they've crept down in both price and response time.

If you want something really nice check out:
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors

They are an American company based out of California that is importing the Korean panels used in most 27" IPS monitors and assembling them in the US. That means you can have an American company to deal with rather than rolling the dice buying a Catleap/Auria etc. Unfortunately they are on constant backorder because the demand is so high, they build these things specifically for gaming but they carry an awesome S-IPS panel. I've had my eye on their company for about 2-3 years now and I've been impressed so far. Can't beat $369 for a brand new 27" SIPS 2560x1440 monitor!

The caveat with 2560x1440 monitor is that its DVI only. This is the same for any manufacturer, at least for now. The reason being an HDMI cable at current spec can't handle the bandwidth required to power such an awesome picture. They do make a multiple input version, so if you had a cable box it would be able to take the signal...but only on a DVI input would you be able to handle the full 2560x1440 resolution. Doesn't matter for cable though, since that shit comes in at 1920x1080 max anyway, at least until we get some true 4K content!

So for about 10% more than that BenQ VA 1920x1080 monitor you could have a 2560x1440 S-IPS panel built for gaming with inputs for your TV as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only real difference is the panel. A panel is like 90% of the performance of the monitor/TV though.

More generically one is using a TN panel and one is using a VA panel. It's odd that they are advertising a VA panel monitor as a "gaming" monitor though, in most regards that is the one thing VA panels are shitty at. TN panels are faster response, but worse contrast radio and color reproduction. So the VA panel (more expensive one) will look nicer but you'll have ghosting/blur issues with fast motion especially while gaming.

You have to be careful with response time measurements. They are like wattage ratings on a stereo - complete bullshit marketing numbers. They usually measure transition from gray to white to gray which isn't real world meaningful, and if you were to measure to the exact same monitor black to white to black it would be much higher, which is usually the kind of actual performance you'll see especially in gaming.

Without seeing them its hard to tell, but it is unlikely I'd pay double the price for a VA panel, especially when both are at the 1920x1080 resolution point. I'm a big fan of S-IPS panels, even for gaming now that they've crept down in both price and response time.

If you want something really nice check out:
http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-monitors

They are an American company based out of California that is importing the Korean panels used in most 27" IPS monitors and assembling them in the US. That means you can have an American company to deal with rather than rolling the dice buying a Catleap/Auria etc. Unfortunately they are on constant backorder because the demand is so high, they build these things specifically for gaming but they carry an awesome S-IPS panel. I've had my eye on their company for about 2-3 years now and I've been impressed so far. Can't beat $369 for a brand new 27" SIPS 2560x1440 monitor!

The caveat with 2560x1440 monitor is that its DVI only. This is the same for any manufacturer, at least for now. The reason being an HDMI cable at current spec can't handle the bandwidth required to power such an awesome picture. They do make a multiple input version, so if you had a cable box it would be able to take the signal...but only on a DVI input would you be able to handle the full 2560x1440 resolution. Doesn't matter for cable though, since that shit comes in at 1920x1080 max anyway, at least until we get some true 4K content!

So for about 10% more than that BenQ VA 1920x1080 monitor you could have a 2560x1440 S-IPS panel built for gaming with inputs for your TV as well.
Did anyone read this? lol
Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did anyone read this? lol
Skipped right over it.
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
WIPE IT CLEAN ITS TERRIBLE
#elfpals discord
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Do I fucking care if you read the advice I was giving after being asked? You can't afford that shit anyway bro all your money gone to failed pixel investments.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do I fucking care if you read the advice I was giving after being asked? You can't afford that shit anyway bro all your money gone to failed pixel investments.
loool he mad
Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
WIPE IT CLEAN ITS TERRIBLE
#elfpals discord
Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eslade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Please ban Samsung for having a trademark name. At least be consistent with rules.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

I bought a way too expensive 60 inch from Samsung and it is amazing for PS4 and my computer. Looked awesome playing ESO. I still would suggest finding one at the local pawn shop. Preferably one with a tube that will explode when you shoot it after too many pain killers and bud lights.
Closed Thread