Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor
Question Thurgadin Mines - Lesser Tar Goos and Coldain Heads?

So I was bored the other night and chatting with a friend, and I decided I would murder the lesser tar goos that show up in the mines under Thurgadin. I used to do it occasionally back on live for Coldain heads. If I was lucky, I would get one in four kills, usually one in eight or nine. Rest of the time was rarely the random Coldain or Giant beards, or mostly nothing. I know on live they eventually nerfed the tar goo drop of Coldain Heads to be much more rare (I think might have been around early to mid Luclin).

However, after around 22 kills (I eventually started taking screenshots of each kill to keep track, but only after the first like, six or so), I have yet to receive...anything from the lesser tar goos.

They should drop:

Loot:
Uncommon: Coldain Head
Rare: Woven Frost Giant Beard
Ultra Rare: Braided Beard of the Coldain

Also see:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5416

And for post nerf rates:

http://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/show...-giant-faction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarskunk (06-07-2003, 09:37 PM)
Wait a sec - the tar goos in Thurg drop coldain heads when killed - is there a dwarf faction hit for killing them? How rare are the heads?
Nope, no hits of any kind if I recall correctly. From the 20 or so I killed, I think I got 1 or 2 heads.

Is this just a case of RNG hate, or does this not work right here? No heads, no beards, not a thing.

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the bugs section.

More evidence:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?faction=188

Quote:
Best way to raise faction...
#
Mar 09 2001 at 7:27 PM

Spend some time killing things in the mines of Thurgadin. As of March 9th, they are still dropping coldain heads, and give no faction hit when killed. They also drop the heads more commonly than dwarves do.
Also,

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/z...tml?zstrat=102
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Asgard>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Last edited by Thulghor; 08-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: I'm dumb.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Aviak

When hunting the spiders for silk I got a Coldain head drop from the goos.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiltjag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When hunting the spiders for silk I got a Coldain head drop from the goos.
I'm up to the thirties without anything, probably more. Haven't counted my screenshots yet.

If this is all just the random numbers hating me, I'm gonna cry a little inside.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Kobold

I was down there for about three hours before I realized I was trapped and had to get a group gate out. I got 4 heads in that time.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Banned

Activating logs is an excellent way to record relevant data without needing to screenshot everything [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was down there for about three hours before I realized I was trapped and had to get a group gate out. I got 4 heads in that time.
I was able to jump across the pits to the ledges and make it out, although that ladder back out is really difficult to get up, even for a shrunk ogre. I hate platforming in an MMORPG. One of the things I detested most about SWToR was the Datacron hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Activating logs is an excellent way to record relevant data without needing to screenshot everything [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I have logs on. Been too lazy to check them for an exact. Angry screenshots seemed more appropriate at the time.

With that said, I'm going to try a zero count at some point tonight and get a more accurate reading. Maybe this is all an RNG thing. Seems like it has it out for me if it does.

Still, pretty sure these were more common on live. Would be nice to see if anyone else here remembers doing this on live during early Velious, and how the rates were.

EDIT: Hey! My Magelo profile from Brell Serilis and back in the day still has all the bags of Coldain Heads I farmed up doing this exact thing:

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/226049

So many heads in the bank. Like a freaky serial killer.
Last edited by Thulghor; 08-19-2015 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Weirdness
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 AM
Fire Giant

Seems to be about 1 in 20 to 1 in 30, which is pretty low compared to live rates. Spoke with a shaman named Purdii today who was doing it, who corroborates the rate.

Think my 37ish kills was just bad luck.

I'll see if I can get a better source for the pre-nerf live drop rates, other than my own personal experience and experience of others.
Closed Thread