Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-04-2024, 04:17 AM
Large Rat

Default Not technically brand new, but close enough!

Hi everyone! I first played everquest a handful of years ago on the blue server before Green came out and kind of bounced off due to anxiety and lack of people to play with, I didn't get much higher than maybe level 15? But I'm ready to give it a big push and really try! I was hoping for some advice on what I should play as a first character to help me get over my anxieties and make friends. I really like tanks, and especially sk seems really cool and fun, but I'm not opposed to any suggestions on class. Thank you all for reading [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-04-2024, 02:23 PM
Kobold

i was in your position a while ago! this game is very daunting and blurry when you're new, mainly because it tells you nothing and refuses to hold your hand, and because it's practically unplayable without the wiki to a mind that's been spoiled by world of warcraft and ffxiv's passive waypoint quest systems

i wrote a short article on what will stand out if you're recently discovering everquest from the perspective of an ex-wow player: https://wiki.project1999.com/Midoo's...r_WoW_Refugees

also here's the p99 wiki repository for all the popular leveling spots: https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide (have had this bookmarked for the last 7 years and still reference it frequently)

lastly remember to google "zone connection map p99" for the game's world map and to look up the p99 wiki page for your favorite class.. have them both open while playing for reference

as for grouping, people are very friendly to new blood and there's always a daily torrent of new alt accounts looking for groups to level. you can /who in a specific zone or /who all X Y for a list of all players serverwide within a specific level bracket. don't hesitate to reach out on discord[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 04-04-2024, 04:00 PM
Large Rat

Thank you for the reply! Looking at your article and really thinking about what I enjoy aesthetically and what you recommend, I think I may play a necromancer to start ^^
Last edited by Yummyfish; 04-04-2024 at 04:04 PM..
Old 04-04-2024, 05:00 PM
Kobold

The cool thing about EQ is that every class has a purpose and use, they did a great job of balancing the game in a way that everyone needs each other in some respect, although some classes are still more in demand than others.

I came back to EQ last year after roughly 20 years away from the game. I felt overwhelmed trying to figure things out and I had played the game almost non-stop for several years so I can only imagine trying to pick it up without any frame of reference.

Alt+O on your keyboard will open your options menu, this can help you navigate to all the keybinds for your keyboard and mouse, it may be a good reference point to learn basic things like how to move, how to turn auto attack on, ect. Although if you already made it to lvl 15 once you probably have the real simple stuff figured out.

With P99 servers being in a very mature state the spots for leveling are a lot less active than they would have been back in late 99/early 2000. Its pretty easy to find general and class specific leveling guides, I enjoyed taking an approach of investing some time in the game learning, and investing time out of the game learning/strategizing for when I played. It reminds me of 99 when I had to share computer time with my 2 brothers and go to school all day.

I'm not going to point you to a specific class as that is really personal preference, it may take some trial and error so don't be afraid to pick a class and start over on a new one after a few levels. I tried a ton of different classes back on classic live before I found my true love for the bard. What I will point you towards is that every class has a page on the P99 wiki that can help you with class/race selection, starting stats, starting zones, and religion options to help you optimize right at the onset. These pages also detail out spell progressions for casters and skill progressions along with ideal gear you can acquire.

Midoo's suggestion for the zone connection map is huge! I found that a few days into my time on P99 green and its been an open tab on my computer ever since, a year later I still reference it nearly daily. You can also find more detailed maps of each individual zone in the wiki to help you with locating whatever it is that you are seeking in that zone.

/OOC will broadcast your message to the entire zone so don't be afraid to just blurt out if you need help or explanation of something, chances are someone in the zone knows the answer you seek.