Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Aviak

Default pathing in eqemu is borked

you have to understand that mob pathing is an extremely hard thing to reproduce on emu servers. it takes up lots of server cycles and is a pain in the ass to implement. the eq99 devs deserve kudos for what they've done so far. play on another emu server and you will see what i mean; walls and floors don't exist (as far as mob pathing goes) in most dungeons. my biggest complaint for pathing here is that I wish CT worked better.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Aviak

I haven't come across one damn thing thats screwed up in my 4 hours of messing around in riverdale and misty thicket. Actually its better than I remember original. Probably cuz I was 14 playing on dial up when I first played.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Sarnak

There's some scattered problems but overall things work quite well.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Kobold

Pathing works - in outdoor zones.

Otherwise, I have found major problems in all dungeons I have been to, City of Mist, Befallen, Paw and especially Lguk. The most dangerous problems occur in areas that have a vertical aspect, Lguk dark tower is incredibly dangerous to have a pet up in (especially the crappy enc pet which loves to fall off every edge it sees, and charge mindlessly ahead into groups of enemies whilst finding a path). The castle in live side is also very risky and hard to navigate, where mobs routinely run up against walls and then pop up unexpectedly right next to you or in the next corridor. It is very difficult to work out a safe pull there.

Massive trains result from a single pull falling off a ledge, running in the opposite direction or going through a wall. You will learn to avoid these areas through experience (loss). These issues are common enough that the careful player mustn't trust the mobs to path correctly and it is usually a better bet to root first and ask questions later, even if this method is technically less efficient.

I'm not saying the server is unplayable, but if you want to solo or make riskier pulls in dungeons you better have Feign Death or a full group. The pathing situation is pretty dire, and even if it is super-hard to fix, it is still a major problem that should be addressed if possible. I'm unwilling to test areas for repeatable bugs because bad pathing usually means a corpse run and exp loss!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

fucked up pathing is classic
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Kobold

Don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to the devs or anything like that. P99 is by far the best emulated server out there and it's well worth playing. I just was hoping somehow something magical happened and they were able to fix pathing lol. I give them mad props for everything they've done here! I really think that pathing is not something they have the ability to fix, but not sure on that.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will learn to avoid these areas through experience (loss).
i chortled
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't come across one damn thing thats screwed up in my 4 hours of messing around in riverdale and misty thicket. Actually its better than I remember original. Probably cuz I was 14 playing on dial up when I first played.
of course pathing in outdoor zones is fine. even if it's technically wrong there's no way for us to notice it because a mob with incorrect pathing still looks like he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do outdoors - wander aimlessly.

it's a whole different ballgame inside a dungeon. you will see mobs walk through walls, teleport, run randomly into another crowd of mobs and aggro a whole room for no reason, etc. and it's all because the pathing is fucked up.

i don't really blame the devs, pathing has to be one of the most time consuming things to fix. each mob / area that is pathing incorrectly must be validated and fixed separately and that's got to be a mountain of work considering how many mobs and how large the dungeons are in everquest. however, it is what it is. enter at your own risk.
Closed Thread