Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Fire Giant

I don't buy the whole "mage is boring" argument.

I have played with lots of Clerics, and 99% of them do absolutely nothing besides sit and click CH. Absolutely nothing else. I can't imagine that anyone would consider this "not boring", and there are many clerics on the server. Their XP bars are moving with minimal effort, however, and its very easy to get a group. They are not sitting there saying "wow, this is so much fun." They are AFK half the time.

This is also mind numbingly easy. As is root rotting melee mobs with JBB.

Moving the XP on a mage - not easy. Soloing on a mage - certainly not as easy as it is on other classes. I think many people on P99 confuse the words "boring" and "hard"
Last edited by Tuljin; 10-30-2014 at 04:51 PM..
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Most classes are boring:

Clerics heal, Wizards pew pew, Rogues stab stab, Monks herp derp, Warriors slash slash, etc.. Everyone is either dps, healer, tank, or bard/enc.

Play whatever pew-stab-herp-slash-heal/buff you want.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Fire Giant

^^^^ This exactly
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most classes are boring:

Clerics heal, Wizards pew pew, Rogues stab stab, Monks herp derp, Warriors slash slash, etc.. Everyone is either dps, healer, tank, or bard/enc.

Play whatever pew-stab-herp-slash-heal/buff you want.
shaman click click

but enchanter... Juggles 50 spinning plates and DOMINATES THE UNIVERSE [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Moving the XP on a mage - not easy. Soloing on a mage - certainly not as easy as it is on other classes. I think many people on P99 confuse the words "boring" and "hard"
I don't understand where you're getting that solo EXPing a mage is hard.

1) Go to an outdoor zone and find a safe spot to pull to.
2) Summon fire pet.
3) Send pet at monster.
4) Keep a good distance away from monster. If pet is dying, recast and /pet go away as the new one is about to pop.
5) When mob is fleeing and almost dead, reclaim pet, nuke monster with a cheap nuke, get full EXP, repeat.

It's one of the simplest ways to EXP in the entire game. Maybe if you're high level and trying to do difficult cash camps, there's some strategy required, but for most of the mage's solo EXPing career, it's incredibly simple and easy. I have a lot of alts and my mage is one of the ones that I can just never stand to play for very long because it's so goddamned boring. Even quadding on my wizard was more exciting for some reason (although it's similarly straightforward).

Of course, you could say the same for a lot of classes - a solo monk is very straightforward to EXP. Really, any class other than a bard or a charmer (druid/enchanter/necro) is pretty simple. But some of those other straightforward solo classes (say, shaman or monk) have some interesting things to them. Shaman, even soloing, has to think about whether root-dotting or meleeing makes more sense, has to consider which buffs and debuffs to use, how to use his pet and to what extent it's worth keeping it buffed, is busy cannibalizing a lot of the time, and all of that is solo EXPing. In group situations, shamans juggle a whole lot of roles. Monks, when grouping, have to think about pulling, and there are cool things to learn like sneak pulling and the mechanics of feign death and so on. But mages, both solo EXPing and EXPing in groups, are incredibly one-dimensional, and yes, are easy.

Maybe I'm ignorant - I admit I haven't played mages an enormous amount because I find them so boring. How is solo EXPing a mage difficult and complex? Are you just exclusively doing dungeons when leveling and relying on things like root nets and earth pet for CC? When you say they're hard to EXP, do you mean that they level more slowly than other classes, or that there is actual challenge involved?
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

ok - one very important feature for a mage that seems to be overlooked is... Skittles.. holy crap... skittles... taste the magebow.. the rainbow that is a mage.

What do I mean? I mean an epic mage.. is the coolest looking darkelf (yea cus darkelfs are cooler than all) in eq. look how these pixles add up and let it paint a picture in your mind of the coolest looking bawler on our server, the darkelf mage.

1. Robe of the elements/CT robe - a rainbow in its self, very magical
2. GEB's yea simple, yellow.. magical
2. Gloves of Fire - ok now were getting unique, that bawse ass orange glove?
4. Ip Big ass classy lookin yellow shield
5. Epic - dayum rainbow on a stick?
6. that orange plate hat /drool

that shit, all that together on the blue skin of a dark elf? AWESOME, almost worth the ugly pets (not a fan of the class gameplay tbh) but god damn a mage can look cooler than any other caster, other casters can come close.. but those gloves + the epic.. so purty.

yea so tl;dr mage can look like a bowl of skittles and it is bawse.
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 10-30-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

^^^ unless you're in TMO/IB or play on R99 acquiring said mage epic is about as easy as having a 3-way with a couple Kpop idols on a plane going into space piloted by NDT who is also having a 3-way.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^^ unless you're in TMO/IB or play on R99 acquiring said mage epic is about as easy as having a 3-way with a couple Kpop idols on a plane going into space piloted by NDT who is also having a 3-way.
well yea i know but the dream is alive hehe

also - the epic u still have those orange gloves and dont have to buy a CT robe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Fire Giant

The epic is probably the biggest thing. So many mages have cried so many tears over their epic. Biggest strength of mage IMO is the epic- aside from being an absolute beast, they're mana free once item is summoned, you can always keep one in reserve and you can corpse some extras for emergencies. It isn't even a TMO/IB thing at all; if every single Innoruuk was permanently class R, there would still be a terrible shortage. That shit is just rare. I bought mine for 167k and feel like I got the bargain of the century; I can't imagine getting one that cheap now.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Fire Giant

Your gonna see a surge of mages when/if the planes revamp comes out. Mage epic is one of the best epics because its a spell so you always have it.

Biggest reasons people don't play mages is boring and no mana regen sustain. Enchanters get clarity and necros get lich with lifetap. Mages get mod rods and phantom armor life regen.

Also mages declined like this on live till PoP when they got AA's and 60+ pets that were better then the epic.
Closed Thread