Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Default Re: serverwide /ooc & /auction

This isn't really a rant or a flame. It's a tasty critical sandwich. Nom nom nom.

First, thanks to the admins/devs for your time, your effort, and your money to make P99 as close to early EQ as possible. Those efforts are appreciated.

Now, the fun part. I speak for a lot of players when I say I'm more than ready for /ooc and /auction to be zone-specific, rather than server-wide. There are enough active players at this point. It's time for us to take our gear to EC, or GFay, or wherever it's going to happen, and make this a truly classic server. The trade-zone atmosphere is a very large chunk of the classic experience that we're just not getting here. Limit the perverse spamming, nerd-debates on religion, politics, has-been martial artists, and whining about raid policies to one zone, not every zone. I suppose to put it more bluntly, server-wide chat undermines what you've set out to achieve with the afore-mentioned time, effort, and money, and as a result, the spirit of your project. I'm sure a lot of very "vocal" folks on here will disagree with this, but I really don't think they're even looking for a live experience, or perhaps have no idea what a live experience is.

That's honestly my only real beef with P99 at this point. There are hundreds of other little nitpicky things, but those are getting worked on and fixed with every patch. I can even forgive the boats, because let's face it, those were always broken on live as well. This server has come a long way in what, seven months? Gets better with every patch. Always room for improvement, though. And an absolutely monolithic improvement would be the removal of server-wide chat.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Planar Protector

I have never heard this idea suggested before!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Aviak

Are you a dumbass or do you just play one on the internets.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have never heard this idea suggested before!!!!!!!!!!!
Precisely, Robin.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you a dumbass or do you just play one on the internets.
We're purposefully being assholes to get a negative reaction from total strangers....we're all dumbasses here.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Large Bat

i think the global chat helps new people know its populated. im sure you see people everywhere - i ahve to tell you that as a australian time zone player, i dont see people in freeport, and i *maybe* see 2 people in east commandlands. probably both AFK.

keep the chat.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i think the global chat helps new people know its populated. im sure you see people everywhere - i ahve to tell you that as a australian time zone player, i dont see people in freeport, and i *maybe* see 2 people in east commandlands. probably both AFK.

keep the chat.
1). /who all

2). So you go to the zones that are populated, just like we did on live.

3). There's more than 2 people in EC. "Orc 1 and Orc 2 are camped, thank you", and all...

Bleh, I'm in a contrary mood tonight. Sorry about that.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

I guess another solution (the one Sony came up with, at any rate) would be to enable chat channels. Not at all classic, but neither is serverwide /ooc and /auction...
Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Fire Giant

I think chat channels are broken on EMU, but I'm not 100% sure.

And I don't know about abolishing global ooc entirely, but I'm all for 1-2 messages per minute for EVERYONE because, as I've said before, NO ONE NEEDS TO TALK THAT GODDAMN FUCKING MUCH IN OOC.

Thank you.
Abomination Snowman - 60 Grave Lord
Proud owner of Innoruuk's Curse that did NOT come from TMO's bank or RMT.
Niluvien Forestwalker - 52 Ranger
Russled Jimmies - 54 Wizard
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

I know at least stormhaven has working chat channels

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Closed Thread