Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Sarnak

Default Regarding the patch and torched pets

Haynar: A pet will no longer dual wield if they are handed a non-weapon item like a torch.

So what's the way to go now for chanter pets? I know a torch was superior to handing it 2 weapons in most cases. Is 2 weapons the best option? It'll still be less effective than torches.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Planar Protector

How is 2 weapons less effective than torches? Twice the bag space required? Kill your pet and you'll get your weapons back, just like your torches.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Sarnak

I thought with 2 weapons, it had the CHANCE to dual wield, while with a torch it essentially forced dual wielding?
Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Two weapons forces dual wield unless the creature is too low to DW I think?

On 40-50 mobs, 2 weapons will make it DW though.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Sarnak

Oh ok nice so no big deal. Frees up 7 or 8 bag spots with torches in them lol, and I can put more pet weaps to use.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Two weapons forces dual wield unless the creature is too low to DW I think?

On 40-50 mobs, 2 weapons will make it DW though.
As far as I understand it, it works like this (at least for necromancers):

Pets don't naturally dual wield until 34/39. A "good" 34 pet will naturally dual wield bare handed, and a "bad" 39 pet will not dual wield bare handed.

Before this, you can give a pet two weapons to make them dual wield. So a level 1 pet given two weapons will dual wield them, but they wont dual wield bare handed until 34/39 as described above.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

alot of misinformation in this thread.

uteinayr - giving a level 1 pet 2 weapons will NOT cause him to actually dual weild. he'll hold 2 weapons but wont use his offhand until a much higher level (the level they are actually gain the dual weild skill - 34). But for necros, "Naturally dual weidling bare hands" is broken here, and that's the reason why necros need to give their pets weapons 34+. Because there's a bug here that basically makes them not dual weild like they are suppose to Unless you give them 2 weapons.

also, whether or not a torch is better than 2 weapons - there is a myth that the torch caused dual weild to trigger every swing but two weapons would not trigger the dual weild mechanic on every swing. that's probably true.
Last edited by Grimjaw; 06-12-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Old 06-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

The 49/53 pets dual wield just fine without weapons on Blue.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 49/53 pets dual wield just fine without weapons on Blue.
Clarity please.

According to the WIKI level 44 mage pets have 'Innate Dual Wield'.

My experience:
I have seen a level 44 pet (spell level 44 not actual pet level) without weapons quad, which means it IS dual wielding, but I notice it doesn't double attack or hit as often as a pet that I give two daggers.

Now, I don't completely understand why this is happening, but I DO notice a difference.

Moving on:

Pertaining to this thread, a torch was used as a really cheap item to get a pet to dual wield. That is no longer possible with the new patch. Give the pet an actual weapon that has dmg/delay criteria in the stats.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
uteinayr - giving a level 1 pet 2 weapons will NOT cause him to actually dual weild. he'll hold 2 weapons but wont use his offhand until a much higher level (the level they are actually gain the dual weild skill - 34). But for necros, "Naturally dual weidling bare hands" is broken here, and that's the reason why necros need to give their pets weapons 34+. Because there's a bug here that basically makes them not dual weild like they are suppose to Unless you give them 2 weapons.
That makes this patch note sound very weird:

Quote:
Higher level Magician, Necromancer, and Shadowknight pets now have the ability to dual-wield without being handed weapons. The calculation used to determine whether or not this ability exists takes several things into account, but for the most part 39th level and above summons (higher for the Shadowknight) will have this ability. It is possible that you could get a "good" 34th level pet that will, or a "bad" 39th level pet that will not have this ability.
Sounds to me like the ability which was added was for pets to dual wield without being handed weapons, implying they could dual wield by being handed weapons prior to this. Doesn't mean it is right, nor how it works here. That's just what the patch notes had lead me to believe. I'm going to go test now.
Last edited by Uteunayr; 06-12-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Closed Thread