Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-04-2024, 10:48 PM
Large Rat

Default Crashing While Zoning, Entering World as of 2/2/2024

Greetings,

Ever since this past Friday (Feb 2nd, 2024), I've started crashing a lot while zoning and while Entering World from character select. I believe I've also crashed when selecting a server (p99 Green), but that's much less frequent.

I'm now crashing about 50% of the time while zoning and while entering world, which is significantly higher than the ~3% I was experiencing prior to Friday.

I've tried the following Troubleshooting steps already:
  • Rebooted my PC
  • Unplugged and replugged my laptop
  • Rebooted my Router (speedtests are > 300mbps down)
  • Swapped to mobile hotspot
  • Updated Windows 11
  • Updated Video Card Driver
  • Deleted Log Files
  • Deleted eqclient ini file

p99 is currently borderline unplayable for me; however, while I'm IN a zone already, it's completely stable (made it through an entire Ring War).

Any suggestions, solutions, or even just known, outstanding technical issues would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Zezelryck, p99 Green
Old 02-05-2024, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

Set compatibility mode on eqgame.exe to xp sp2 or sp3.

-Mcoy
Old 02-05-2024, 02:06 PM
Large Rat

Thank you for the reply. I set compatibility mode a few months ago. That's what got my baseline crashing down to ~3%.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:01 PM
Aviak

Based on my limited knowledge of how all this works, it kinda sounds like a login server issue, or at least some kind of server-side issue.

I have generally the same experience but not as bad as you by the sound of it- I crash on about 20% of all zoning\log in\camp out attempts (meaning after you've counted to 30 and it attempts to return you to the character select for that account), but if I'm already in a zone I can stay online for literal days and never lose the connection. I basically never go linkdead or crash while I'm just inside a zone, even during giant competitive raids with like 300 people in zone. This has been my experience regardless of OS, compatibility mode, which network\router\isp I'm on etc etc..

Only thing that's strange is that you say this was very rare for you before a specific date and is now super common.
Last edited by Ciderpress; 02-05-2024 at 05:03 PM..
Old 02-05-2024, 06:25 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but if I'm already in a zone I can stay online for literal days and never lose the connection. I basically never go linkdead or crash while I'm just inside a zone, even during giant competitive raids with like 300 people in zone.
Same. Totally stable when in a zone. I did have some weird lockup issues in Wakening Lands for a while, but none recently. The significant uptick in crashing while zoning/logging in/logging out started this past Friday and there's nothing I can clearly attribute it to (no hardware changes, software changes -- other than updating my windows and graphics driver AFTER the issue started).
Old 02-07-2024, 04:37 AM
Large Rat

Also tried using a hardwired connection versus the WiFi I had been using for the past 6 months. Speed increased from 300mbps to 500mbps, but still crashing the same in p99.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:07 PM
Large Bat

I have the exact same issue and it started the same day. I crash about 50% of the time while zoning. Totally fine in zone.

I have tried everything above as well as...
  • Deleted character settings file
  • Fully reinstalled Titanium
  • Set up dgVodoo2 (again)

The game is pretty much unplayable for me especially being a wiz, we zone a lot.

Please help.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:23 PM
Large Bat

I just installed and tested WinEQ2. Crashed first time I zoned.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:59 PM
Large Rat

Haven't crashed at all today. I think the quake might have fixed it LOL.
But seriously, might be okay now.

Will confirm in another day or 2 if no more crashing.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:47 AM
Orc

Im still having the same problem