Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Sarnak

Default Red99 Monk feedback

Melee vs caster discussion is already taking place all over the place. I won't go into that here.

I've leveled a monk from 1 to 50 on Beta, largely through solo effort. I did the same thing on live on a blue server. Here is what I have to say about the experience:

First, the good news. A monk can indeed solo through level 50, making the big whopping assumption that he isn't constantly ganked. The effort involved wasn't that great with the 10x XP, but I definitely lagged behind casters, even with the high spell cost. This means that the class balance is roughly on par with where it was back when Verant was running things. Good job!

I have been able to obtain a red sash and orange headband. Raster is a damned rare spawn, much like the old times. I have not tested the combine for the Robe of the Lost Circle. I'm assuming code and tables were largely copied from 1999 blue, so it's very likely these will work. Even so, I'm hoping to quest the robe in the remaining time on Beta to make sure it works.

Treantfists have both the captain and the cube drops working in Runnyeye. I haven't seen either alchemist (in Misty Thicket and Gorge), although they are working per other players. The Gorge PH cycle isn't in place; it looks like the static goblin spawn on the right when facing out from Runnyeye is being used as a PH instead.

I've documented a bug which will hit monks disproportionately. Mobs that path a long way due to use of Intimidation, or else a long pull, seem to occasionally become unable to be hit, much like a corpse. There is no attack spam, despite autoattack being switched on. This is detailed in the bug reports area.

Intimidation itself is a bit off. I'll see if I can find documentation of what used to be called Instill Doubt for monks. As it was originally implemented, the intimidation check used to require a 3-4 second charge up. During this time, a monk could be anywhere relative to the target. After the attack animation played through a bit, the skill check occurred. If successful, a melee kick was launched against the target, inflicting damage just as if the monk had used Kick skill. Mobs requiring magic weapons to hit, such as ghouls, required that the monk wear magic footwear to use this skill.

Furthermore, intimidated mobs ran more slowly than they do in Beta. It may be appropriate to add a slight snare component (10-15%) to reflect this. On the live machines, I was able to solo into the low 20s in South Karana by chasing around intimidated mobs and attacking. This will not work on Red99. Mobs run too fast, and perhaps more erratically than they did in classic. On Red99, I instead used Intimidation to chase off mobs in order to apply a couple bandages using Bind Wounds.

Disarm skill seems to not be increasing correctly. On live, the skill shot up very quickly. On Red99, I've managed to hit the low 100s with this. In PvP, Disarming another PC would work from time to time, causing the main hand item to pop to the mouse cursor. I have no idea if this will work on Red99 since the skill is simply not going up.

The inability to hand weapons to non-aggro NPCs while sneaking is already documented on both Project 1999 servers. This also impacts raising Disarm skill, since it was common to disarm remotely located guards, then FD and hand them back their weapon and repeat to train up skill on the old Verant servers.

I'm sorry to say that mobs with magic weapons were not capable of being disarmed in old EQ; there is a chance I'm wrong and this initially worked for a while. In any case, prior to Kunark, mobs wielding magic weapons could not be disarmed. I like the way this was implemented on 1999 - the weapon vanishes and no longer affects the mob's attacks, but remains in its inventory. Even so, this is not classic.

There also seems to be some problems with casting mobs. When they initially pop, they nuke your nuts off, much like in classic. After they've been up for a while, or have cast for long stretches, they instead just melee. I'm guessing that mana regeneration on these mobs is very slow compared to classic.

The boat in OOT is traveling the path differently than in classic. Sister island was always the first stop from Freeport. On Project 1999, it is the first stop from Butcherblock Mountains. I recall some talk about the cardinal directions being messed up in this zone in classic. Maybe this was a bug Verant never bothered to fix?

Recipes for raw silk, cured silk and tattered armors all appear to be working correctly. I have not tested Wu's, but assume it works as on blue99. As a side note, silk swatch and silk thread combines should be impossible to fail, even when not trivial. They currently fail as often as other combines.

Quest XP on red99 appears to be missing or else reduced to very low levels for the Lashun Novashine bone chip hand-in. This quest used to provide noticeable hits (1-2%) through level 6.

Thanks for all the work making this great new server!
Last edited by Vohl; 11-04-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Kobold

I had a 60 monk in live, I can second that it was "Instill Doubt". I couldn't use it for soloing myself since the mobs would run erratically, but perhaps your connection was better than mine.

All I remember about disarm was that it was nice to practice while fd on priest of discord. Then sell it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I believe the boat in OOT is reversed on purpose to match the world map. Apparently live was wrong.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Sarnak

The goblin alchemists do spawn, I killed both.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

The skill itself was called Instill Doubt (the button), but in the skillups it was "Intimidation".

Not that this really matters anyway. Most of this stuff seems pretty trivial to me honestly, except for the sneaking/trade thing, but it's cool that you took the time to do such a thorough write-up.

I'm more curious about how brutal it was trying to PvP as a melee. I know it's going to be bad, but I don't think I'm remembering just how bad it actually was.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Sarnak

It's generally poor as a solo melee. No gate, no SoW, bad resist gear throughout most of your levels. This pretty much mimics the experience in classic PvP. The current resists and daunting ability for CC spells to stick for brief instants aren't classic, nor fun.

The story changes somewhat in a group. Healers cause the conflict to draw out and exhaust mana. Once this happens, it's a melee game.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think you're going to solo your way 1-50 on a pvp server. It's doable, but slow, and as a melee any caster that finds you off soloing will kill you easily especially with the slow downtime recovery of bandages and mend.

10x exp on beta can be deceiving. Trust me when its 1-2% a kill plus the constant threat of dying, corpse recoveries, etc. you will probably change your mind about this.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Planar Protector

Not to mention most casters like nekro and mage will have the best solo spots on lockdown. Good luck fighting them off in classic for their spot.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Planar Protector

Lower Guk == all necros. Any attempt to fight them off will result in a charmed pet eating your lunch, feign death, and probably a big train/agro where it's about 1 to 20 odds that you're the one eating the exp death. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Sarnak

Not mentioned, but essential, in the ID game is that you had to leave your special attacks out of roundtime. If ID fired (after the 4-5s delay) and 'kick' or 'flying kick' was spent (in roundtime) you got an automatic fail. if it landed, it used your special attack roundtimers.

disarm doesnt seem to work in pvp, at all, which sucks. also, the weapon did not go to cursor unless their inventory was full, it went to top bag slot open.

i call bullshit on disarming PoD for money, btw, he drops a no drop 12/50 staff or whatever called Staff of Discord that's all/all. It was the best 2hander in game for monks until kunark and it still sucks.

not being able to give mobs weapons/items sucks. using that to give guards 2handers so they dont dual wield and giving targets lightstones so they dont dual wield was classic.

the 'not being able to hit' a mob that's run off.. i can only guess. did you toggle target back to last target to retarget the npc when he was out of LoS? sometimes that can bug your ability to hit a mob w/o click targeting the mob when it returns.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Sarnak

Anyone walking away from this with the impression they can solo to 50 with a monk on a pvp server is in for some real pain. The point I was making was that the class seems to be roughly on-par with classic from a PvE perspective.

Mingo, I agree with the ID use being affected by the secondary attack timer. Verant acknowledged this as a defect early on and took years to address it. By the time SOE tweaked it, the skill was worthless due to high level fear resistance / immunity and the XP rocketsled to the high end that was put in place to keep community relatively coherent. My last attempts to use Intimidation skill on live a few years ago uniformly failed. (This was on green mobs that were once soloable with this skill.)
Closed Thread