Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops419 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You 100% can buy as much platinum as you want on P1999 or any other game you choose to. It will just be an illicit transaction that starts a chain of events that really works to ruin the server and its economy. If purchased from the server and offset with sufficient ways to remove currency from the game, it does not have "such" a bad effect on the game.

I like to think of it like legalizing marijuana- People will do it anyway, by legalizing it, you reduce the burden on those that must regulate it, reduce the incentive to obtain it illicitly, and provide financial support to the system. Of course there are downsides, but in what situation aren't there?

Also, assuming you pay 10$ per 100k plat, what is that, like 1000$ for your 10 mil plat? How many people do you think would be willing to spend that much money for currency? Not enough to throw the economy into the disarray you mentioned.
The difference between marijuana and in-game store selling currency is the pot doesnt just magically appear out of thin fucking air.

This isn't even a discussion or theory. Games arent flocking to free2play with in-game shops because people dont spend money.

You give a retard an opportunity to get anything he wants for a credit card # and his ass is doing it. Already seen it happen on EMULATED SERVERS for christ sake.

Plus its not just a one time thing, $10 here, $50 next paycheck, $250 for little timmys birthday.

plusplus You cant retire buying Marijuana and trading it for a mansion in malibu for a months work at mcdonalds.
Last edited by Rhuma7; 06-14-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM
Fire Giant

And to everybody taking a diaper-filler shit over instances, get real. EQ2 had instances, and I played on Nagafen from day 1 (Blue for a long time before then also). Never, at any hour of any day, was there a lack of PvP. And as far as items are concerned, this is one of the main reasons I often question if people ACTUALLY played on live.. nothing was EVVVER open. Ever. Never once did I find a LGuk, HS, KC, etc camp open. Guild politics played a big role in handing camps over and such, but the point being is that on a modern MMO, especially EQN which has been followed for years, there would just be too many people camping everything endlessly
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuma7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe as a casual it was "hard" and "time consuming" to get gear in vanilla WoW.

but to say it was... much more than EQ? This man is a troll.

They had instanced zones with no competition for end-game raid content best in slot gear lol that shit was like getting your food stamps on the 1st of the month, just apply and bam, steak dinner.
I completely understand what you mean. EQ was much much more difficult from level [1-endgame). At endgame, I thought they were similar in difficulty as far as filling your role within a raid ( I never raided in original EQ, I only raided Kunark and so on, so i cannot speak for that era) and achieving the legendary items. I simply do not equate waiting with a challenge. For example: A challenge is taking down trak with 18 people. Waiting for him to spawn is not a challenge. Getting FTE is not a challenge.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 had instances
And what a winner of a game it was.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And what a winner of a game it was.
I loved EQ2 up to the end of DoF. PvP was also fun. But whatever, it's cool to hate everything and I'm acting all square and whatnot.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops419 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And just to pose another question for those completely against instanced zones or encounters of any sort...
EQ is probably one of the largest worlds ever created. Yet, do you honestly feel there's enough game to go around for everyone who wants to play on this server? I mean, I understand that many people will respond with "well if they can't hang, then F-them" or "they don't deserve it" or "Thats the fun" or something with that general sentiment. But, the single most important thing to remember is that for a game to be successful, have dedicated devs, have a decent population, and strong financial support it cannot be a game of attrition. There must be some balance struck between offering all players a sense of accomplishment and opportunity and the hardcore players a level of separation and superiority.
If you cannot agree on some middle ground between these two things, you are forever destined to exclusively play on underdeveloped, underfunded, and underpopulated games such as P1999 or Wurm Online or the like.

All that being said. P1999 is a really great, nostalgic experience. Yet, the moment you choose to try to camp some select item you've been wanting, complete an epic, or raid in general; you find that there is not an opportunity for the <20 hour a week player.
These are legitimate problems with non-instanced MMORPGs. These issues have been largely avoided by the modern incarnations of the genre. But to suggest that instancing is the only way to solve these issues demonstrates a complete lack of imagination.
How large is Unrest really?. Is the FBSS bottleneck in classic EQ really the best a non-instance MMO can hope for? Is there something about open world raid encounters that inherently makes them only viable for the most hardcore of gamers? Or is this just some of the problems that exist now that can be overcome...
Instancing, in my mind, always was a lazy fix to a complex problem. Just give them all their own dungeon. No need to ambitiously make a huge dungeon larger than Dreadlands, filled with all kinds of unique mobs and items. We ca just give everyone their own copy of a KC crawl to the boss.
The majority of the industry simply has not been trying. Why would they? Most modern MMO gamers seem to have no idea what they are missing.
Unlike the problems of open world content, which can be fixed simply by providing more viable content (including removing the severe bottlenecks that exist in EQ); the problems with instancing are inherent in its design. Its the difference between a training simulation in the matrix and an actual alternate digital world.
Last edited by JurisDictum; 06-14-2013 at 04:39 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhuma7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The difference between marijuana and in-game store selling currency is the pot doesnt just magically appear out of thin fucking air.

This isn't even a discussion or theory. Games arent flocking to free2play with in-game shops because people dont spend money.

You give a retard an opportunity to get anything he wants for a credit card # and his ass is doing it. Already seen it happen on EMULATED SERVERS for christ sake.

Plus its not just a one time thing, $10 here, $50 next paycheck, $250 for little timmys birthday.

plusplus You cant retire buying Marijuana and trading it for a mansion in malibu for a months work at mcdonalds.
I understand your first point, but the others don't make sense to me. Of course people spend money, that was one of reasons I said I support the F2P model. Some people pay and those that don't still are given a place within a well-supported game and the population is increased.
No-Drop/attuneable/bind-on-equip items are a great way to negate the effects of inflation. I can't think of a single game that doesn't embrace this.

I do not understand your last sentence at all.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved EQ2 up to the end of DoF. PvP was also fun. But whatever, it's cool to hate everything and I'm acting all square and whatnot.
Horses for courses. It's cool you liked it. I dumped it after a week as a total turd of a game that utterly disappointed after years of rhetoric on the forums. EQ2 is a good example of most things I despise in an MMO, and over designing things that were imagined as needing to be re-designed. I agree EQN is probably going to be similar, and I'm as equally uninterested in it.

There are two camps on this issue, and we're not going to agree. You guys have a plethora of instanced psuedo-MMOs to choose from. Go to town. The rest of us - probably the minority - will be in other worlds.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I understand your first point, but the others don't make sense to me. Of course people spend money, that was one of reasons I said I support the F2P model. Some people pay and those that don't still are given a place within a well-supported game and the population is increased.
No-Drop/attuneable/bind-on-equip items are a great way to negate the effects of inflation. I can't think of a single game that doesn't embrace this.

I do not understand your last sentence at all.
Lets say on a given day on p99, people loot a total of, 5k platinum.

over a month thats only 150k.

Lets say we have an ingame store that sells platinum.

The entire economy is based on how much platinum people actually have and items are listed at prices people can/will buy said item.

If theres an influx of 1 billion platinum on the first day, nobody but people who bought platinum will be able to afford items with this huge influx of platinum in the market.

The only way to compete is to buy. Pay2win.

EDIT: As far as retiring in a mansion in malibu on a mcdonalds salary. The dollar is much more valuable and a persons time is even more valuable. It only makes sense to skip being a scrub and shelling out a few bucks to completely deck out a character and within a year of having buyable currency you wont be trading with currency, it will be traded in stone of jordans. Which is a sure sign you fucked up.
Last edited by Rhuma7; 06-14-2013 at 04:31 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Horses for courses. It's cool you liked it. I dumped it after a week as a total turd of a game that utterly disappointed after years of rhetoric on the forums. EQ2 is a good example of most things I despise in an MMO, and over designing things that were imagined as needing to be re-designed. I agree EQN is probably going to be similar, and I'm as equally uninterested in it.

There are two camps on this issue, and we're not going to agree. You guys have a plethora of instanced psuedo-MMOs to choose from. Go to town. The rest of us - probably the minority - will be in other worlds.
Well, when you constantly subject the world to your own standards, you'll find yourself in the minority on anything. It'd be cool to have it zone like EQ1 did, it's just a dated concept. And calm down lol. fuckin Fred Flinstone up here bitchin because they dont make cars with open floors anymore