Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Kobold

That 'solution' has been posted many many times in this thread, and does not solve the problem for a lot of people.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Large Bat

That's awful
Old 09-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Kobold

Six crashes at character select (so far, I haven't stopped yet) and one crash attempting to port into Overthere in the last half hour. Yeah, there's still a problem.

I wish there was some kind of indication that the guys still look at this issue at all.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Aviak

This is mostly anecdotal but before the bounce Friday this was getting worse and worse, after the bounce I have only crashed once while zoning and I have been playing quite a lot & zoning quite a lot doing ports.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknspank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I regularly get zoning crashes. The most reliable way for me to reproduce them is:

- Run under WinEQ2
- Begin zoning process
- Click outside the EQ window (I have 3 tiled screens as my desktop, regular multi-monitor not a 3x spanned one using Eyefinity or the like)
- Click back into the EQ window before zoning has completed, EQ crashes
- If I wait until zoning has completed everything is OK
I guess I can relate to this.

I tab out when I'm zoning to check wiki or forums or something. Clicking outside the EQ window 9/10 times makes the client crash.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Six crashes at character select (so far, I haven't stopped yet) and one crash attempting to port into Overthere in the last half hour. Yeah, there's still a problem.

I wish there was some kind of indication that the guys still look at this issue at all.
Solutions are constantly being attempted and implemented. The development team is aware of the problem, and have already resolved the crash issues for many people.

The problem is that there is no obvious common denominator between all of your computers/connections, which makes it exceedingly difficult to nail down the exact problem. Troubleshooting an error like this is usually a process involving hundreds of people - or potentially thousands after the game is released, if the bug slips through Q&A because it only appears in <1% of users, as it does here.

I would try running the game on different systems if available. If crashes continue to happen, it would point to a network or software problem (if both PC's have similar software). If crashes are reduced, it would point to a mix of hardware/software/networking. If they cease completely, its likely hardware/software.

I know some of you have done extensive testing, and I know that a few of you have even posted the results of your test in this thread. I would highly recommend anyone experiencing this issue to submit ALL your test parameters, giving as much detail as possible as to the tests themselves. This will help us understand what's working and whats not.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

So I recently started having this crashing alot problem, and I dont know if I have any solid ideas as to why but hopefully this info helps.
The problem didn't really start for me until recently in the past few months, and has been alot worse lately.
I will be trying to log in to the character select and constantly getting booted back to the account log in, or I'll get into the character select and crash while trying to get online on my toons, or the crashes will occur after i've logged in and attempt to zone load.
While sometimes the problems can persist alot, often retrying numerous times I will eventually be successful trying to get in, or other times it will constantly crash and seem like I wont be able to play at all or eventually it will go away and start working normally again.
The problem didnt really become apparent for me until I created different accounts to hold mules to bank extra inventory I couldnt hold on my main toons, and I found while attempting to do xfers with a players help I would have trouble after trying to log into a different account then the one I normally play on, but I did find completely exiting the login and relaunching before entering a different account name and password to try and log in helped resolve crashing I found related to trying to log onto a different toon on another account then the one I just logged out of while trying to do an xfer.
there is also another thing, I play p99 from different locations sometimes, normally, and when I usually dont see this problem at all is when I am at home, playing on my older desktop using crappy wifi internet, and usually I account any crashes I experience to the fact that someone else int he house might be using a device on the internet causing me to time out and crash as a result.
Then on other occasions, when I am at a friends house playing on their newer laptop, using better hardline high speed cable, I found the problem happens alot, sometimes constantly, and only successfully being able to log in after many attempts, and then usually end up crashing at another point later when I try loading into another zone, but then on the same pc sometimes the problem goes away all together and I wont see the problem of crashing alot again for hours or days.
I thought it might have had problems to do with background programs running on the computer like antivirus and internet security programs, torrent downloading programs, steam or chrome, etc, related programs that could have an affect on internet connectivity, but often found shutting these programs down had little affect to releive the troubles.
I also thought that maybe it happens alot more during busier times when alot more players are on the server.
I also had a theory maybe it was related to some change in the game to do with the latest updates after they came out, or possible changes related to preperations for the upcoming velious release.
I don't know if any of this information helps, but if any of the staff want to message me sometime, I'll try and check in every few days and give some personal contact info if we want to test some things out and see what the problem might be.
My computer at home i usually play on and dont experience these problems doesnt have internet security, torrent downloading programs, or steam on it, so their might be a link between background programs, but disabling them on the laptop i play on at different times didnt seem to help releive the problem either.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I really enjoyed playing P99. However I moved and now P99 is very unforgiving with the kind of internet I have now. So every time I zone there is a really high chance the game will just freeze up. Then when I try and log back in it will freeze up most of the time. I’m at the point where enough is enough. There for I have found another really well done EQ server Chronicles of Norrath and I will be playing there from now on. I really wish you all (P99 admin) would have fixed this problem.

Take Care all
Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.0, update KB2670838 has been known to cause all sorts of issue's with older games. You can try uninstalling it to see if it fixes any problems for you. (Google KB2670838 to get an idea of what I am talking about)

How to check if you have update KB2670838
Open the command prompt. Type...
wmic qfe | find "KB2670838"

If nothing comes up, you're golden.

If it lists the update + Computer Name\User Name + date installed, then you have update KB2670838 installed.

How to uninstall update KB2670838
Open the command prompt. Type...
wusa /uninstall /kb:2670838
When it finishes, reboot your computer
Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 AM
Kobold

Wink

WinEQ2 seems to make a difference. I'm able to zone a lot more without getting kicked, but I just got booted to login zoning out of KC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg.txt
2016-01-01 01:31:13 Cleanup 10
2016-01-01 01:31:13
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Resetting UI.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Resetting character select UI.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Resetting game UI.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 UI Reset.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Cleanup 11
2016-01-01 01:31:14
2016-01-01 01:31:14 CRender::InitDevice: Using 32bit mode.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 CRender::InitDevice: Using vsync 0.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 CRender::InitDevice: Using 24bit depth buffer with 8 bit stencil.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 CRender::InitDevice: HardwareTnL Enabled.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Using hardware vertex shaders.
2016-01-01 01:31:14 Initializing render system.
2016-01-01 01:31:15 Trilinear Mipmapping available.
2016-01-01 01:31:15 Vertex Shader Version: 3.0
2016-01-01 01:31:15 Pixel Shader Version: 3.0
2016-01-01 01:31:15 Initializing engine internals.
2016-01-01 01:31:15 CRender::InitDevice completed successfully.
2016-01-01 01:31:15 Parsing INI file ./eqlsUIConfig.ini
2016-01-01 01:31:15 INI file ./eqlsUIConfig.ini loaded.
Happy New Year!!!