Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Fire Giant

Guys, no offense, but it's all just forum spam until we see a video. I'm saying it's not possible, even with a perfect ping (by not possible I mean the songs will all drop briefly, and that's even if the ping is perfect and there are no resists/missed notes). Please prove me wrong though. My experience and testing hold this to be true.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

ive played a bard casually and i can keep 4 up at once. not for 2 minutes straight and without some song loss but it is possible to have 4 at once.

didnt read all f it so im sure to have missed something. i dont have nor know to run fraps. ha now ill get trained ksd and ninja looted because people know i dot fraps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Fire Giant

You can have six or more song effects up at one time for an instant. That's not the point. The issue is maintaining a stable four song twist. Come on, this isn't rocket science. I'm saying a permanent stable four song twist is not possible without continual song drop i.e. It's not possible.
Last edited by t0lkien; 07-06-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Old 07-06-2013, 01:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On a raid with lag it's better to sing 3 if on resist duty (2 rythms with drums + another).

On a raid when not on resist duty, you can still manage 4 songs no problem.

Only when in groups or soloing should the 5 song twist become relevant, I've posted about it on p99 multiple times. It has to do with what Dalven was talking about.

About your math, songs aren't 12 second duration. Songs are 12.1 to 17.9 second duration, depending on the server tick. This important difference gives plenty of room for a stable 4 song twist.

Astuce
As you say there's no point messing about with 4 songs on raids - as t0lkien points out a 3 song twist is the only way to guarantee no drops. I've never really had a good grip of the math of it but from personal experience I've always found four or five songs works for me in groups.

Quote:
My point about a song dropping though - some songs are useless unless they are up all the time. If a mob aoe lands on the tick the resist song was down because I was trying to get a bit more AC/Haste/Regen onto my group, there was no point in having it up at all. It's risky and inelegant to twist songs that are dropping continually IMO. The effect you point out about server ticks just makes it all the more inexact. We never really know when this is until it ticks - despite the tools that help us guess. Mix in lag with this - both yours and others' - (I'm on a constant 250ms which is not bad compared to the 500ms+ I had on live) and it's a total crap shoot.
Like I say I've never really been into the math but Astuce makes a good post here and there's some further discussion in that thread on different ways bards on the server twist 4 songs. For me the momentary drop in effect is worth getting a whole extra song in. Its a fair point someone might get nuked if it hits in the time the effect is down but these things can happen and in my experience chances of it are fairly low. Hopefully you or someone else will be doing interrupts anyway.

Quote:
Re. aggro dumping, with high damaging mobs I've found it counter-productive to be the puller if I have a tank who can't grab aggro. Body pulling can be terribly inexact (I've run over mobs and stood on top of them and still not gained aggro on p99, while the mob 5m away immediately aggros - something is definitely different to live), so it's usually necessary to land a Bellows or something. I've also been hammered into paste multiple times because my group couldn't regain aggro no matter what they did after I've done that. In the end it was more efficient for the tank to pull. The caveat is that this usually hasn't happened with SKs and Paladins.

Not to dispute your comments on pulling, because as I said, I've never majored on it and only once or twice done it in raids, and always outdoors. I would however say that FD is *the* premium tool for splitting mobs. The proof of that was that in Velious, every single raid I went on had a monk puller. Past Luclin I never once saw a Bard pull for a raid either (though my raiding diminished a lot before I quit). Actually the proof for that was Thott's constant whining
I should emphasise that when I'm talking about playing a bard I'm talking about it from a grouping perspective. I don't have much experience Velious or onwards but bard pulling effectiveness post Velious isn't relevant here, although they got Fading Memories to level the playing field in PoP didn't they?

I've played with and seen some great monks in action pulling on raids and in dungeons but I'll maintain for places with a ton of casters and tight clusters the monk will want the bard out there pulling. Ultimately I think bards have a better range of pulling tools and can be more flexible in a group situation when it comes to pulls. Dumping agro is only one method of pulling effectively - bards can split mobs just as effectively in a group scenario.

I've found that pulling with projectiles generates a minimum amount of agro and have never had issues with tanks pulling it off me. Using charm to bring in mobs is another option - once you break the charm the mobs agro list is reset and a tank can pick up the mob with ease. There are numerous ways to overcome this problem and in most cases it won't be one as long as you're not pulling with snare.

Thott as a high level bard and in charge of an uber EQ guild was probably more concerned with bard pulling at a raid level, where the focus was definitely put on FD pulling, because he was likely sick of having to sing resist songs at all the raids.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but years of playing on live show this not to be true for me. I can never keep four songs up reliably and have never seen another Bard do it either. This is easy to show if you stand somewhere and just twist four songs that have icons. One will inevitably start dropping (they'll rotate naturally). If it's different on p99... well it's different. On live that's how it was. I'll test this on p99 now for confirmation. Hang tight.Yep confirmed as the same on p99 for me. A four song twist has icons dropping. You guys are either theory crafting and not observing it ingame, or my ping is making the difference (though I can't see how that's true as it's consistent), or there is some other factor at work that I'm not aware of. I don't know what to else to say...

Here's a challenge though - keep up a four song twist reliably over a minute or two and post the fraps video.
No one is saying that you can sing four songs without the icons and effects dropping. I'm arguing that the effects dropping for a marginal period of time doesn't matter. As I've said the chances of a momentarily lost effect causing a wipe are pretty slim - this obviously isn't the case for mez/snare but this is easily mitigated by paying attention.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't believe you guys. Thott didn't either by the way (http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/powercurves.php):

Quote:
The reason that bards can do decent damage around level 50 even with the flat curve is that the songs themselves limit a bard prior to level 46. Before 46 a bard doesn't have 3 decent damage songs to sing, so damage is limited to just 2/3 of what it could be based on the curve. So the curve increases in max possible damage output with a more normal shape due to when the songs become available. Yet a bard is surely singing three songs, a decent bard is at least, prior to 46, so switching from 2 to 3 damage songs isn't an increase in damage, it's trading something else the bard was singing for damage. It increases the speed, not the efficiency, of damage the bard can do. And thus the graphed curve is accurate, and it's flat.

I.E. Three songs is the standard full twist. And as I said, that is proveable just by standing there and twisting 4 icon songs. Show me the video of a solid four song twist over a few minutes, or honestly, it's all theorycrafting.
That quote is taken out of context of that article to be fair. In it he's talking about the power of bards relative to increasing level was crap compared to other classes and complaining about it. He mentions the 3 song twist as being standard while giving an example relating to this, which is probably just arbitrary. I don't see any discussion about the relative benefits of twisting 3 songs vs 4 songs.

People were having this same discussion back in 2001.

This guy thought the idea of twisting 4 songs was dumb but acknowledged that people did it. This other guy kinda liked the idea and goes into it in a bit of depth.
<Asgard>
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Aviak

I think the 3 song vs 4 song twist is kind of funny. If your doing your rotations right 4 songs is no issue. Song one will be flashing when you get back around to it, and your already casting it again, by the time it drops off you have your song back up, and your continue down the line, never really loosing any of your four songs. Now granted it is much easier in a group because your already running at least 3 songs before a pull, in a fight you throw auto attack on, and start running your song rotation. I hot bar my 4 fight songs and it makes it smother, because your not clicking all the time. Raids is standard practice 3 songs. but I think this has been said more then once in this discussion
Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Fire Giant

Mathematically 5 songs is doable (4 songs + BoH). I haven't played much lately, but when I grouped I'd throw up Regen/Clarity/Haste/Snare+BoH routinely. Snare would never drop because it's a detriment, and regen / haste would only sometimes drop if I got lazy or distracted.

If you are doing non-benificial songs, you can do 5 songs straight up. I do fear+snare+3dots all the time. If you're real good, you can do 6 songs at once, which would be 3 AE's dots + 3 single target dots for some nice DPS (with instrument swapping). Same goes for Mez. It's easy to keep 5 non-resist happy mobs locked down indefinitely.

But if I need to keep 3 songs up all the time, for like resistance fights, I only twist those 3 songs (with BoH since no epic) to ensure there are no dropoffs of coverage.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Orc

so after much failure on kiting orcs in kelethin, I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible. Hit boxes are so wonky that if you pull more than 2, you're screwed and they stun you. Plus 40% exp penalty. Yah woo go bards. /rant off
Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one is saying that you can sing four songs without the icons and effects dropping. I'm arguing that the effects dropping for a marginal period of time doesn't matter.
Yep, and that's my only point. For sure, twisting four or more is a play choice. I'm not standing on my soap box and casting forth some sort of Bard morality about it, I'm just underscoring that a permanent 3 song twist is the best we can ever do without songs dropping. Thank-you for getting it Dalven!

It's important that this is the reality, and that it's recognised so we do don't get posts confusing people with misinformation, untried theory crafting, and erroneous anecdote that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cords [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the 3 song vs 4 song twist is kind of funny. If your doing your rotations right 4 songs is no issue. Song one will be flashing when you get back around to it, and your already casting it again, by the time it drops off you have your song back up, and your continue down the line, never really loosing any of your four songs. Now granted it is much easier in a group because your already running at least 3 songs before a pull, in a fight you throw auto attack on, and start running your song rotation. I hot bar my 4 fight songs and it makes it smother, because your not clicking all the time. Raids is standard practice 3 songs. but I think this has been said more then once in this discussion
What? No wait we just spent two pages dis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mathematically 5 songs is doable (4 songs + BoH). I haven't played much lately, but when I grouped I'd throw up Regen/Clarity/Haste/Snare+BoH routinely. Snare would never drop because it's a detriment, and regen / haste would only sometimes drop if I got lazy or distracted.

If you are doing non-benificial songs, you can do 5 songs straight up. I do fear+snare+3dots all the time. If you're real good, you can do 6 songs at once, which would be 3 AE's dots + 3 single target dots for some nice DPS (with instrument swapping). Same goes for Mez. It's easy to keep 5 non-resist happy mobs locked down indefinitely.

But if I need to keep 3 songs up all the time, for like resistance fights, I only twist those 3 songs (with BoH since no epic) to ensure there are no dropoffs of coverage.

*sigh*
Last edited by t0lkien; 07-06-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like I say I've never really been into the math but Astuce makes a good post here and there's some further discussion in that thread on different ways bards on the server twist 4 songs.
I'm calling theorycrafting on this stuff. I don't see it in experience. It's telling there was no discussion about this on live back in the day - and those guys then were *serious* min/maxers. Bards were parsed to within an inch of existence.

Quote:
That quote is taken out of context of that article to be fair. In it he's talking about the power of bards relative to increasing level was crap compared to other classes and complaining about it. He mentions the 3 song twist as being standard while giving an example relating to this, which is probably just arbitrary. I don't see any discussion about the relative benefits of twisting 3 songs vs 4 songs.
Haha I knew someone was going to say this. You miss the point - it's proof that 3 songs was understood as the minimum twist. The context is not relevant, only the thinking behind what is being said.

As I said though, I know you get it, and the choice to twist more than 3 is situational. The important point is that songs will drop, and that should be understood. The thing I'm trying to mitigate here is the silliness that goes on when people start expecting Bards to twist 4 songs, and "five if you're really good HYUK!"
Last edited by t0lkien; 07-06-2013 at 08:58 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What? No wait we just spent two pages dis...
*sigh*
Well, you spent two pages saying it wasn't possible, then trying it yourself with your own methods and finding it not possible. You aren't considering all of our though songs in the equation.

Mathematics:
Each song has a cast time of ~3 seconds
Each Beneficial Duration song lasts between 12 and 18 seconds, depending on where the song was cast in regards to the server tick.

12/3 = 4, so mathematically he maximum number of songs you can play at any one point is 4, since that's the hard minimum. If you can automate the process so there's no lag, then you have 4 beneficial durationsongs that are only broken up by missed-note garbage.

However the example I gave presented two different songs types: Non-buffs (clarity song) and detrimentals. Clarity buff doesn't have a timer, it's just flat mana. The Snare is a detriment, and those have a duration lasting between 18 and 24 seconds. So, by switching out two duration beneficial songs, we now only have the probility of a song dropping every 4 cycles, and those would be the Haste or the Regen.

Both of those songs wouldn't be seen as huge detriment to the group if they drop for a few seconds, so it isn't a horrible situation. If you are twisting resists? Then yeah, you probably want to keep it safe.

If you switch out more of those songs for the detriments, then you run into why bard fear kiting works. Since the minimum duration on the detrimental songsis 18s, that means you can at max have 18/3 == 6 detrimental songsrunning at a time. Since there isn't a grace period with the detrimental songs, it's advisable to only run 5 at a time to take into account server ticks.

So yes, it is possible to twist 4 songs at once, hell even 5. If you are wanting to just twist beneficial duration songs, then you won't have much luck. Even when I had it going with two macros using stopsong, I'd still get a drop of a quarter of a second every other cast due to innate UI lag.

You can test it yourself with the following macros:
Macro1:
/stopsong
/pause 28, /cast 1
/stopsong
/pause 28, /cast 2

Macro2:
/stopsong
/pause 28, /cast 3
/stopsong
/pause 28, /cast 4

Spamming those two macros still leaves you with about a second of wasted time for letting the client cast the next song. If stopsong were instantanious then the above macros would allow for seamless twisting of 4 beneficial duration songs.

But the question was how many songs you can twist at once, and if you are including our entire bevy of songs then yes, the most you can twist is 5 + BoH (or any clickable bard song).

As with all things Bard, this isn't a cut and dry example of "give me a hardline guide on how to do something!" The amount of songs you can twist at any given point is entirely determined by the situation that you are presented with, and augmented by the skill of the player involved.

So I guess what you are wanting is a breakdown like this?
How many songs can I keep up if I am responsible for resists?
3. One of either our two "3 resist type" drum resists or of our 5 "single resist" singing songs, Guardian Rhythms, and any other beneficial song (typically Cantata).

How many mobs can I keep mezzed at once?
5. Any more than that and you'll run into big mistakes with resists. Subtract one/two if you want to Charm safely.

How many songs can I play if I am soloing and don't need the buffs?
5. Fear + Snare + 3 Drum Dots work great. Still a go-to even with Epic.

If I'm in a group, how many can I keep up if I'm not CC and this isn't a resist fight?
4, depending on your situation. If the only beneficial song you need to keep up is Regen (or additionally haste), then you can run a Snare+Regen+Clarity+Haste setup where the only drop is in Regen/Haste, and that only impedes on the group a tiny bit considering the benefits from snare/clarity being added to the mix. You can switch out snare with Mez, Charm, or any other detrimental song as needed. Or in an all-caster group drop Haste for double dose of Clarity. Or a triple dose by dropping Snare.

So I guess you want to hear that yes, you are in fact correct that it is unrealistic to keep 4 beneficial duration songs up and going for an entire fight that lasts longer than 24 seconds (the amount of time needed for the songs to drop on the second pass). But not all of our songs are constrained to the same timers, so the answer isn't cut and dry. Some setups can be very successful with twisting 5 songs.
Closed Thread