Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea exploiting what the game isn't meant to do is wrong in the GMs eyes. If you feel innocent you're gonna need a nice rule lawyer and to wait. Sounds sketch. I was always put off of running by the frame rate bug everyone used.
What the game is "meant" to do, and the player made agreement are two different things.

player-made agreement = FTE foot race, maximum SOW speed.
anything that allows someone to travel at faster-than-sow speed is considered illegal.

things that may be considered against what the game is "meant" to do:
- alt-tabbing to drop frames and increase run speed during de-elevation = travelling faster than SOW.
- strafe running = travelling faster than SOW.
- jumping whilst running = travelling faster than SOW.

if SOW is the maximum allowable speed for an FTE foot race, then strafe running and jumping whilst running must also fall into the category of "travelling faster than SOW".

policing one method (alt-tabbing) and disregarding all other methods just emphasises how grey this grey issue is.

so either burden everyone with iron-gripped, draconian blanket ban of all forms of faster-than-sow travelling, or just accept alt-tabbing as just another quirk of a very old game.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Kobold

How does it feel to be a cheater apologist?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fianna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How does it feel to be a cheater apologist?
He's from Taken

He knows no other life
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4990 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol Dald you were Myth Lords? I was with them for a lil bit myself before I ended up in Machin Shin and eventually Dark Horizon. Your name isn't very familiar from back then though. I think by the time DoDH was out I was in DH.
I was in Machin Shin for awhile. Was an officer and raid leader over there from around SoD -> VoA.

And regarding the "nothing faster than SoW" stuff that's been brought up.

You guys should check out Live after the latest patch.

Quote:
- Added a velocity label to the stats page of the inventory window which will display your current movement speed.
- Changed the display of the 'Attack' statistic to show its component parts: 'Offense' and 'Accuracy':
- - The Offense stat increases your likelihood to deal more damage when you land a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Mitigation stat.
- - The Accuracy stat increases your likelihood to land a hit on your opponent in melee combat and is countered by your opponent's Evasion stat.
- Changed the display of the 'Armor Class' statistic to show its component parts: 'Mitigation' and 'Evasion':
- - The Mitigation stat increases the likelihood for you to take less damage when you are hit by a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Offense stat.
- - The Evasion stat increases the likelihood for you to avoid being hit by a melee attack and is countered by your opponent's Accuracy stat.
- - Spell descriptions that report the amount of Armor Class granted by buffs should now report a more accurate value.
I was messing around with the Velocity value for a bit the other day. When standing still it has a 0 value (the value is in units moved per second). When running forward with SoE (70% Movement) the value is 48. When straffing the value is 50. When backpeddling or sidestrafing the value is 30. I've yet to test out swimming and ducked movement...

The game actually does register numerically that someone running forward while strafing does increase your speed faster than SoW. Go forth nerds; Lawyerquest that strafing can be quantitatively proven to increase your speed faster than SoW!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Oh also the nerds who love to see how AC and ATK work, that patch shows the real values not the long standing made up ones shown in your UI. Which is interesting and may actually prove useful for determining AC balance here if someone were to investigate further.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

The only fact that matters is,. Is it classic?
If it is classic. Move on.
If it's not classic. Is there anything the staff can actually do to fix it for us.

I wouldn't mind being able to alt tab and browse the web when levi running across DL. Just saying.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Annihilator [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What the game is "meant" to do, and the player made agreement are two different things.

player-made agreement = FTE foot race, maximum SOW speed.
anything that allows someone to travel at faster-than-sow speed is considered illegal.

things that may be considered against what the game is "meant" to do:
- alt-tabbing to drop frames and increase run speed during de-elevation = travelling faster than SOW.
- strafe running = travelling faster than SOW.
- jumping whilst running = travelling faster than SOW.

if SOW is the maximum allowable speed for an FTE foot race, then strafe running and jumping whilst running must also fall into the category of "travelling faster than SOW".

policing one method (alt-tabbing) and disregarding all other methods just emphasises how grey this grey issue is.

so either burden everyone with iron-gripped, draconian blanket ban of all forms of faster-than-sow travelling, or just accept alt-tabbing as just another quirk of a very old game.
Welcome to p99. Where you should consult a GM if you're doing anything remotely sketchy to see if it will get you in trouble rather than just keep exploiting to horde pixels for alt #3. That's where you went wrong. While sirken has a history of doing fly by punishments. I'm certain if you brought it up to him when detoxx asked about stopping it this would of been avoided. That's why I follow snacks. He knows all the nuances and what not to do. Blame AW leadership imo for not looking into it. Blinded by the pixels and sheeple they are ( in my best yoda voice )
Old 01-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only fact that matters is,. Is it classic?
If it is classic. Move on.
If it's not classic. Is there anything the staff can actually do to fix it for us.

I wouldn't mind being able to alt tab and browse the web when levi running across DL. Just saying.
You can since it's not exploiting a mechanic. There is are endless ways to spin this but if you don't see the diff between the casual alt tab and the alt tab that is a clear exploit of run speed then idk what to say.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

People are being dumb if they think alt tabing to watch pron during a long camp and alt tabbing to speed yourself up in a "competitive" race is equivalent.

Stop being dumb nerds.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

Feign innocence.
Feign ignorance.
When they both fail, call for a change of the rules