Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Kobold

Default Connection to server could not be reached

Hey guys,

Looking for some ideas to resolve this. I keep getting "A connection to the server could not be reached." when I am trying to login to the server select screen. It just started randomly for me and it never was a problem before. Doing other internet related things works too.

I know some people get this message and just have to try a few times to get in eventually; but doesn't quite work for me. I've also searched the forums for some other ideas but none seem to work, including skipping the router, resetting router/modems, changing eqhost.txt. I've also tried a reinstall (even though that wouldn't make any sense to fix it).

Any one have any clues or suggestions, would be much appreciated!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Assuming you have Windows 7 or 10. Open resource monitor, click the Network tab, expand Network Activity and TCP connections.

Should be in Network activity, the exe should be listed and should show the address in which it's attempting to connect.

If you do not see any attempts to connect or it's greyed out (inactive) and never activates the connection again, you probably have something blocking you. Firewall either in the OS or on your router.

If you see activity but you are still getting the message, then the issue is more than likely outside of your local network. You can also hand jam the address it's attempting to connect to and either (from a command prompt) ping or tracert to it and see what the results are.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

i need some help too
Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Kobold

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've tried the Resource Monitor as you suggested. I do get some activity under Network Activity from eqgame.exe when I try to login, but I do not get anything from TCP connections.

I've pinged login.eqemulator.net but I get a time out... similarly, I've had a friend do the same and he also got a time out, but he can log in fine. I'm guessing that is just being blocked from the other side. If I tracert; it stops at *.pnji.coopha.net before it starts to time out as well.

The IP address I try to connect to is 66.55.145.2 which is what others get when they do the same.

Maybe I'll just have to see if it is somehow resolves itself in the same manner it started.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Sarnak

Ruppet, I'm having the same issues as you - I figured it was because I'm in the arse of the internet world here in Australia. You're right in that eqemulator.net doesn't respond to ICMP requests (pings).

I think I'm as resigned like you in hoping it resolves itself. I did check eqemulator forums yesterday and couldn't see many people screaming about it, so it's definitely a strange one.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Kobold

And... it randomly works again! Yay me!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:40 AM
Sarnak

Mine has been fine all day...in about 7 hours from now, it'll be crappy again