Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Kobold

Perhaps I missed it, is there a project scope or roadmap listed somewhere? Is it just faces and worn items ?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps I missed it, is there a project scope or roadmap listed somewhere? Is it just faces and worn items ?
Go back a few pages: they say they're waiting for certain sets of textures to be completed and then they plan to do a release. I don't think there's an official schedule or roadmap, but they're fairly close to a release.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-30-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Planar Protector

I think this is as close as they have to a schedule:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's math time! Sorn started working on faces on January 3rd, and has since completed 174/207 faces. Since January 3rd, 151 days have elapsed.

174 / 151 = 1.15 faces completed per day

207 - 174 = 33 faces remaining

33 / 1.15 = 28.7 days until Sorn completes all of the faces, at which point we'll release

Currently just character and held item textures. Zones may or may not be retextured as a future project.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good call - this was also previously completed by Cucumbers and left out of the first shields post:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Although, I'm not so sure that's a griffon so much as a flying monkey. No idea what that thing is. Back looks like this, just applied to the different model:

TBH It's about as well done as I could've expected!
My previous interpretation of the weird-ass texture was that it was leather with a branded icon/logo, but Wood works for me!
I tended to look at that shield with de-focused eyes to see 2 legs on the bottom versus 2 hooked legs on the side.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really. The specifics have been kept behind closed doors because the work is so sporadic and voluminous and not actually "managed" per se. Originally "Phase 1" was just going to be upscaling all character, equipment, and spell particle textures, with some stuff redone by hand, but then we redid tons of weapons and held items by hand, hired Zaela to tinker with things providing us with animation, spell particle, and transparency fixes, and then hired Sorn to make faces prettier.

Once Sorn joined we pretty much unanimously decided that we'll release as soon as the faces are completed. So as expected we suffered quite a bit of scope creep in the beginning, but now we have a definitive release point even though we don't know exactly when that will be. Phase 2 will involve upscaling all classic zone and NPC textures, and that may or may not ever happen since it's anyone's guess as to whether we'll have any gas left in the tank after Phase 1. It will probably happen at some point, but we've barely started theorizing about how we're gonna pull that off while keeping the end texture packages to a reasonable size.

There were also quite a few hurdles along the way such as figuring out what to convert to DDS to avoid crashing the client from memory bloat, and which DDS format and conversion methods to use in order to avoid artifacts while keeping the textures to a reasonable size being that DDS files are much larger than JPEG despite being way more memory-efficient due to mipmapping. Not to mention all of the file extension wonkiness - some of the textures are DDS and some are JPEG, but they're all renamed to .bmp and flipped vertically before being repacked into the S3D archives. Makes sense, right? Meanwhile Cucumbers drew upon the powers of The Vision™ and somehow managed to permanently unfuck gequip.s3d which suffered from a litany of issues making that archive an absolute nightmare to handle. I still don't even know what he did to that thing, or what the initial cause of the problem was. I don't even want to know. It's fixed now - thanks Cucumbers!
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 06-30-2017 at 11:19 PM..
Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My previous interpretation of the weird-ass texture was that it was leather with a branded icon/logo, but Wood works for me!
Oh and also, your interpretation was correct - this shield and the targ shield are supposed to be leather, as indicated by their texture names: shkiteleather.bmp, and 216ikshleath.bmp. I never interpreted them as leather, though - I always assumed they were wooden. I'm willing to wager most people thought the same.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

All halfling female faces redone:
Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

All halfling male faces redone:
Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Currently at 150/174 faces completed. 174 doesn't include the 16 iksar faces which will only need eyes touched up, and any other additional touch-ups that need to be done before we release. Getting close!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Currently at 150/174 faces completed. 174 doesn't include the 16 iksar faces which will only need eyes touched up, and any other additional touch-ups that need to be done before we release. Getting close!
giveeeee

Skarry 60 Assassin | Kumack 60 Oracle | Gyrgol 60 Oracle | Eregion 54 Illusionist