Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Large Bat

Cool Casual Player making the switch

Good afternoon Red 1999. I have been kicking around the idea of switching to the seedy underbelly of the MMO scene that is your community, but I have a few issues;

1. I play EQ very casually. My work and home life is erratic, so on average I can play a few hours a week. If something shifts around I might have a friday or saturday night where I can play for several hours (for a raid or something). To give you an idea of how casually I play, my main on Blue is a currently 35 bard. But the time isn't the only reason I level slowly...

2. I love classic EQ because of the quests, class/race specific items and lore, and the community. Because of this my bard is regularly "wastes" time hunting down parts for quests that are largely obsolete in the modern P99 scene, or getting pushed out of zones by twinks or multiboxers who push right into a camp (when I'm not swarming), or leaving good swarming zones because continuing to do so would be rude to other players.

3. I am a hipster IRL (proof is the fact that I play P99) and in P99 (proof is the fact that I still use my full lambent even though I should really replace parts of it by now), so on top of the fact that Red 99 is already tough, I want to make it additionally tough by playing a race/class combo that (for probably very good reasons) is under-populated. And preferably evil, because evil is hard-mode for EQ.

That being said, I have a few questions before I get started on my probably over-ambitious goals;

1. Is there a guild that can provide at the very least, community and possibly even justice for a casual gimp like myself? There are a few on blue, but blue also has ~10x population, so I might be on my own here.

2. Are there moderately populated grouping locations in Red 99, or is it really just soloing while trying not to get killed? (I realize that asking this question really just provides an outlet for all the whiney trolls on here, but just in case someone has useful information I'll include it)

3. What races/classes are underpopulated right now? If someone has a /count list, that would be useful, but I'm more interested in another casual grouping player's complaints about "I never see [some class]" or "There's always [this other class] LFG everywhere I go and I'm SICK OF IT".

Right now leaning towards a DE wizard (to port) or a gnome warrior (to make sure one exists). The only things I don't want to do are another Bard or another Ranger (Ranger was my main on Live, and after playing the OP PoP Rangers P99 feels like swimming in molases).

Any responses are welcome, even the next three or four which will undoubtedly be useless bitching or attempted bubble-bursting.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

At this point dwarf wars are probably more rare than a gnome. (Was the last thing I read)

Now to further address your needs. There's a guild called sanctuary they cater to newbs and they lurk in the shadows and do eccentric experience groups. However the leadership is all too arrogant and try to keep their players from socializing outside of guild, in other words a shepherd or a gatekeeper if you're keeping it modern.

Now there's really just 1 other choice and its apex, a raiding guild with no schedule just pick up n go raids, depending on momentum. Not casual per say, but if you'd like to experience velious raid content it'd be the only realistic choice even over blue if you compare the time sinks. Lots of opportunities for leveling.

There's another guild ragnarok, but it's pretty much dead at this point. There's gonna be some kind of revive of a 3rd underdog guild I'm sure.

Well I'm done using the washroom so i'll stop here.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:13 AM
Large Bat

Make a shaman, cleric or enchanter please. The server is really lacking in slowers and clerics which makes a fair amount of group content difficult to impossible a lot of the time.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Aviak

server is super top heavy and there is like 60 active players other than that really fun if you don't like to pvp and level extremely fast to 60.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

welcome to hell
Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Sarnak

DONT PLAY HERE
Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corridante Sycronius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said, I have a few questions before I get started on my probably over-ambitious goals;

1. Is there a guild that can provide at the very least, community and possibly even justice for a casual gimp like myself? There are a few on blue, but blue also has ~10x population, so I might be on my own here.

2. Are there moderately populated grouping locations in Red 99, or is it really just soloing while trying not to get killed? (I realize that asking this question really just provides an outlet for all the whiney trolls on here, but just in case someone has useful information I'll include it)

3. What races/classes are underpopulated right now? If someone has a /count list, that would be useful, but I'm more interested in another casual grouping player's complaints about "I never see [some class]" or "There's always [this other class] LFG everywhere I go and I'm SICK OF IT".

Right now leaning towards a DE wizard (to port) or a gnome warrior (to make sure one exists). The only things I don't want to do are another Bard or another Ranger (Ranger was my main on Live, and after playing the OP PoP Rangers P99 feels like swimming in molases).

Any responses are welcome, even the next three or four which will undoubtedly be useless bitching or attempted bubble-bursting.
1) Sanctuary is new player friendly. Can't speak from experience though, but they have some very friendly/helpful leaders. Forget about Justice that you can't dish out yourself. Bide your time.

2) Typical path is Crushbone->Unrest->Mistmoore->City of Mist.... There are no moderately populated zones 90% of the time. You will most likely have to put in effort to start a group, get people to log in other characters, etc. Not just "12 Ranger looking for group" and expect invites. Make the best of whatever is available and go kill.

3) IMHO the least played classes (rough order): Mage, Necromancer, Paladin, Ranger, Bard, Cleric, Warrior, Enchanter. Play something you enjoy. If you can convince a friend to come, then pick classes that duo well together and you are set.

My personal advice beyond that is:

Shut up in OOC unless you are asking a question, looking for group or buy/selling. People have been driven off the server for being retards in OOC.

Don't freak out when someone kills you and don't rage spam them. Tell them good fight and then ask for advice about what you might do better or if there was something you didn't understand. Some will be helpful, others will crave to make you cry.

Don't go anonymous. Sometimes you get a random tell to group (bonus) and you will need to get experience in PvP, so the sooner the better.

You are going to get crushed in PvP for a good while. Just learn what you can from it. Really, you are not going to stand much of a chance against anyone that starts a fight with you.

Red is hard for very different reasons than blue. Forget about how things are played on Blue.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Kobold

Also, welcome to the cesspit of scum and villainy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I can tell you that there are indeed gnome warriors, because I have one, but they are definitely rare.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Large Bat

Wow, way more useful info and advice than I expected. I did hey my first ton to 10 over the weekend, but might remake. Really? Mage and necros are rare? They are freaking everywhere on blue. Def. Some good food for thought. Thanks a bunch for responding.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

Play something that meets your needs, but also able to play solo.

Otherwise an alt