Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArumTP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stop being emotionally involved by "your" class. Rangers never get good in the era of this server, PoP and archery AAs aren't even relevant to this discussion.

Paladins/Shadow-knight are non-ideal tanks, but fulfill the tank role in everything but raid content. They get a pass in groups because we will deal with the penalty due to a lack of tanks at times. Without the tank there just can't be a group.

Bards get a pass because they can iffy fulfill the slot of an enchanter. They are also a good 5th-6th slot due to the many things they can bring to a group. They are highly desirable on raids.

RANGERS DON'T GET A PASS
They are just DPS. Monk>Rogue>Warrior>RANGER. For every 1 ranger I can find maybe 3-4 monks, 3-4 warriors, and 2-3 rogues on any given day. There is no reason to shoulder the burden of a poorly designed class when better replacements can be found in abundance.
"Rangers are just DPS" sums it up right there. Kinda similar to "Rangers suck cause they can't tank."

Lets see your 3 warriors/3 monks/3 rogues save your group's a$$ when:

1) Unsnared mob grabs his buddies and pulls to your group.
2) FD-broken monk brings adds that aggro your casters..
3) Warrior can't hold mob's attention after heal aggro...healer dead, group wipe.

Sorry, but no warrior/monk/rogue can help you in any of these situations.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArumTP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins/Shadow-knight are non-ideal tanks, but fulfill the tank role in everything but raid content. They get a pass in groups because we will deal with the penalty due to a lack of tanks at times. Without the tank there just can't be a group.
Interesting you forget to mention monks, probably the most common melee, make excellent tanks in most content and have the ability to hold agro adequately. Knights get a pass because of ignorance, nothing more.

Quote:
RANGERS DON'T GET A PASS
They are just DPS. Monk>Rogue>Warrior>RANGER. For every 1 ranger I can find maybe 3-4 monks, 3-4 warriors, and 2-3 rogues on any given day. There is no reason to shoulder the burden of a poorly designed class when better replacements can be found in abundance.
Monks suck balls at pulling outdoors compared to a ranger. Snare is handy if you lack other snares. Foraging is nice for finding berries. And you're not sacrificing that much dps.

Otherwise, pretty accurate.

Monks, rogues, and warriors are all boring as shit imo
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks, rogues, and warriors are all boring as shit imo
My main is a Warrior.... so I don't play Knights.

My Monk alt got boring...

Playing my 27 Ranger and bow kiting the lowbie guards stationed at the inn's in EC is a pleasant experience every time....

Rogues MAY do more DPS?

But Rangers get a hat full of tricks, that's what makes it a fun class for me.

P.S. I'm fairly certain there's 1-2 60 Rangers with legit tanking abilities.....
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but you will always be the brunt of jokes and discrimination from some.
Haha makes me think of "Ranger Gate...."

I remember back in '99 lots of players were under the impression that Ranger was a tanking class...
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Sarnak

A Ranger walks into a bar ... "LOADING PLEASE WAIT"
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscottdai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A Ranger walks into a bar ... "LOADING PLEASE WAIT"
Well yeah, it has to load the zone with the bar.

What next?!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Malone88 you can talk to you are blue in the face. No one wants a Ranger or a Wizard in a group if there is anyone else LFG. And even if not they will stay with 5 people in it on average. You are fighting a loosing battle on here that you will never win. They suck ass. My Druid can pull and CC as good or better than a Ranger. And do a Ton more things. Why have one. Druids DD are no slouch either or Dots. With CII I can nuke some pretty good damage and keep it up.
Last edited by webrunner5; 03-02-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Rangers are just DPS" sums it up right there. Kinda similar to "Rangers suck cause they can't tank."

Lets see your 3 warriors/3 monks/3 rogues save your group's a$$ when:

1) Unsnared mob grabs his buddies and pulls to your group.
2) FD-broken monk brings adds that aggro your casters..
3) Warrior can't hold mob's attention after heal aggro...healer dead, group wipe.

Sorry, but no warrior/monk/rogue can help you in any of these situations.
yes because it's hard to

1) cast one spell on each mob or have four classes in group that can root cc
2) not run straight into camp with 10 mobs on you
3) lol
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Kobold

I think in terms of pure number crunching Rangers lose out to monks and Rogues. Rangers can offer a lot of utility in a group though, whilst being decent enough dps. For a pure grinding situation probably not so good, but in more hectic situations, the snare, root , cures and patch heals could be very helpful. My friend was a ranger back on live and I was a paladin. I think both those classes although unusual could really shine if played creatively. I guess as a ranger if you are trying to be pure dps, you will always lose out to rogues.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

ranger is good for:

death touch
eating xp
harmony
?
Closed Thread