Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, I came off too harsh on you. And you have some good points. But to me the Video was just a TOTAL letdown. It just looks like WoW on Warp Drive. No way in hell am I going to play some game with lighting bolts, and fire, and dirt clods, smoke, etc, going all over hell and and back. And toons with weapons and shoulder pads bigger than they are running around like Ninja's.

That stuff appeals to 12 year old kids. But guess what, when EQ first came out most people playing it were 12 year old kids. I can sort of see why they have taken the same route. Its all about the MONEY.
Yeah we'll see what happens with whatever is revealed next. Hoping it has something to do with their immersive philosophy, but who knows. In the end its all a machine exploiting peoples hearts and minds to take that $$$
Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It looks cool and has decent ideas going for it but its way too far off the path to even come close to Original EQ1
Thought the same thing. I'll play it for sure, but looks like Everquest II 2 more than "going back to the original game" like they said they were doing way back when.

And I couldn't help but think the characters looked rather wow-like, but I think the vah shir was a bad choice and accentuated that a bit...Non human chars are going to look cartoony. I would have liked to have seen a human in full plate armor to get a feel for the char graphics a bit better.

I did like the armor graphics with the animations in the wind and the environment looks great. I just hope it plays more like EQ than like diablo, though, because that's kind of what it looked like to me. Doesn't have to literally be like EQ, but have some depth to the combat dynamic, not just a button mash fest twich game like most MMOs are, including EQ2.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thought the same thing. I'll play it for sure, but looks like Everquest II 2 more than "going back to the original game" like they said they were doing way back when.

And I couldn't help but think the characters looked rather wow-like, but I think the vah shir was a bad choice and accentuated that a bit...Non human chars are going to look cartoony. I would have liked to have seen a human in full plate armor to get a feel for the char graphics a bit better.

I did like the armor graphics with the animations in the wind and the environment looks great. I just hope it plays more like EQ than like diablo, though, because that's kind of what it looked like to me. Doesn't have to literally be like EQ, but have some depth to the combat dynamic, not just a button mash fest twich game like most MMOs are, including EQ2.
I'll probably play it even if it's bad because I am a giant pussy.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That part in the presentation really got to me when he was talking about the "parcour" like world travel (aside from the awful notion of implementing double jumping). "Oh and by the way folks you don't have to press any extra buttons to jump over these objects... the game does it for you!" LoL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately I think this is where the majority of EQNs "innovation" will be. Things that have been in a thousand other games, just not in MMORPGs.

They still don't get it.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would have liked to have seen a human in full plate armor to get a feel for the char graphics a bit better.
They showed concept art for it... standard over proportioned bulky plate with the shoulder pads being the most prominent and distinctive feature as far as variety goes.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They showed concept art for it... standard over proportioned bulky plate with the shoulder pads being the most prominent and distinctive feature as far as variety goes.
And bracers that are bigger than your entire arm I hope!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

Not naming names, but it also astounds me the things people will nitpick and poo poo about a game they've never played before.

Gameplay issues? Legit concern. Cash store? Legit concern. But oh noes! There's realistic dust and debris flying around! This game is going to suck....There's double jumping!

People kill me sometimes. The chat spam on the feed was priceless. Dude could have said "The sky is blue" and 25 people would have some comment about it and another 30 would say how stating that the sky is blue is a deal breaker for them, no way they are going to play it. LOL

Hate to break it to everyone, but there will be new graphics and features in new games. No one has any clue how this game will play until they play it.

All of that said....My heart sank during EQ2 beta. But I was stoked till then!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Kobold

From what I saw of twitch chat there were clearly people that were jizzing themselves on what they saw.

There was also a definite group of people(majority) that saw it as dog shit.

This game will be shit and I will tell you why.

Trying to reinvent the wheel is always a bad idea. Filling your game with gimmicks is not going to make your game any more fun after the 500th time you've done it.

You might think what you saw was awesome and it certainly has seen a lot of work, the sun/moon lighting changes are definitely something thats cool but after a couple hours playing you're not going to give a shit.

The dumbing down of combat can be blamed for pushing for the console market which is stupid if you're marketing your game to your playerbase consisting of nothing but COMPUTER GAMERS!

It really looks like they went full retard with the voxel based gaming and tried to incorporate an MMO into the minecraft world, which sounds pretty cool but at the same time you need to really focus on the MMO side of things.

People forget that WoW was the offspring of EQ1 and it was successful for a few reasons.

The biggest reason is they fixed some problems that were inherent in EQ1 with raid content and that EQ never took into consideration that you actually played with other people (lol) and that not every person on the server was able to partake in end game raids and that there would always be someone left out. Instancing was a fix for this problem and I feel was directly influenced by Furor and Tigole's experience being in bleeding edge raiding while at the same time were very wise and looked at what their success was doing to the rest of the server.

Unfortunately, they didn't really fix all of the problems which is what WoW AND curent everquest1 is facing now. MMOs in their current state are a disease on themselves, with the constant need for new content to keep the subs going from month to month. It will eventually lead to massive bloat and from what I saw, the complete rehaul of gear from expansion to expansion was to combat this issue, by simply making it un-needed to progress through 5 expansions and literally years of raiding to even get to the stuff that matters. We all have our opinions on that and im sure we can all come up with our own theories of what could have been done. I personally agree with sirken(We had talked about this in his twitch a few days ago) That MMOs really need to keep their content fresh, by reusing old zones instead of adding 30-40 every expansion.

SOE is going to fail with EQnext simply because their trying something new... It is a real shame but their doing it for the greater good, to put forth newer ideas and to give... up and coming developers a chance to see what works and what doesn't, so they can take the ideas and make it better for the next generation of MMOs.

Minecraft the MMO isn't what we need right now. We just need a fresh new world with the same tried and true mechanics with a few fixes for the long-term player.

For those who don't want to read the wall of text, MMOs need a solid core of content, with very little gimmicks to sell their shit. A good product sells itself as any salesman will tell you. WoW isn't some revelation of the MMO, it was just a very solid game with a few fixes from Everquest. I haven't seen anything from EQnext that is trying to fix the inherent problems in MMOs. Just a lot of gimmicks.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I never go by concept art.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I never go by concept art.
Well that concept art is the way some models look like on live basically with the Players studio's armor. For people that dont know you can buy "skins" for your toons armors on live. Most of it looks large and disproportionate like the concept art for EQNext