Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

Default How to choose best weapons for the situation

I am currently running a barb war at lvl 26. I have been lucky enough that during lvling my first char (cleric), I was able to get some gear to twink my war out a bit. So for the most part I haven't been worrying about armor but I am unsure about what weapons to use when.

Currently my bags consist of the following weapons:
Sword of Skyfire
Jade Mace
Gnoll Hide Lariat
Staff of Battle
2-handed axe that can proc fear (forget name)
1-handed piercer that can proc 30dmg DD (forget name)

My main question is what weapons or combination of weapons should I be using for tanking and in what situations should I be switching out to other weapons that I have? I know for dual wielding I should be using a fast weapon in my main hand and then a slow high dmg weapon in my off hand.

However I still notice that my threat isn't amazing. Even if I put 2 procing weapons on, I still have threat issues because of either low base dmg of the weapons and the procs not going off a ton. Now, I've mainly been carrying these around with me to keep my weapon skills high but what should I be using to keep aggro as high as possible?

(I do know that war shines at high end raids while Sk/paly is better as a group tank but still interested in playing the war even though I plan to make a sk and possibly a paly later on cause I like to tank)
Herbila - Warrior
Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

Update:

Names for axe and piercer
Obsidian Shard
Polished Obsidian Great Axe
Herbila - Warrior
Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

What is your haste item?
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Your staff of battle will be your highest aggro generator in your lineup. I would honestly use that until 40 when Frostbringer starts to proc. If you can afford it, pick up a WESS or an infestation.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is your haste item?
Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
Herbila - Warrior
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Okay, so you already have haste, but you're not keeping aggro. Honestly, it sounds like you're over complicating things. I would ditch everything in your load-out except the Jade Mace, the Sword of Skyfire, and the Staff of Battle. Skyfire + Jade Mace would be a decent DPS combo if you were ever in a situation where you didn't want to use a 2hander, but Staff of Battle should do well enough the rest of the time. Fist of Zek would be a good upgrade to Skyfire (use Jade Mace mainhand) as long as it doesn't take you below 75 AGI. Or you could even get a second Jade Mace.

Obsidian shard is just terrible. It's a perfect example of an ideal proc on a weapon with a bad ratio. The damage is too low and the delay is too high. There aren't too many other aggro weapons that will proc at your level, but WESS can, and if you can afford it, it will answer all your woes after just one proc. Use that mainhand and Jade Mace offhand and use Staff of Battle if you need to DPS. At level 40, upgrade to Frostbringer for sure, even if you already have the WESS. Use them both!

Also remember to use kick or slam on cooldown.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your staff of battle will be your highest aggro generator in your lineup. I would honestly use that until 40 when Frostbringer starts to proc. If you can afford it, pick up a WESS or an infestation.
This and George Clooney post are all you need for now.

Get casters in your party to root the mob you wanna tank then get proximity aggro
Old 06-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This and George Clooney post are all you need for now.

Get casters in your party to root the mob you wanna tank then get proximity aggro
Just had to explain this to a 19 warrior while playing my lowbie chanter. I tashed and rooted mob, but the warrior wouldn't stand close to the mobs. She thought no matter what, the rogue would take aggro. After I explained proximity aggro, she hugged the rooted mob and had no more aggro issues. Root is a warriors best friend in groups.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Planar Protector

The obsidian shard is a weapon that drops from a level 30 vanilla dungeon. As nice as the proc is, it will basically never compete with a kunark+ dps weapon for aggro. The exception is in the off hand at the very lowest dw/db skills, but by 26 you are far past this point.

Really, the key to success is for someone to root early, you stand on the mobs toes for proximity aggro, and then taunt after any tash/slow that lands so that when root breaks you have a huge lead.

There should always be someone who can root mobs in the group for you. Make them your best friend, and the healer's best friend by proxy.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Yea, I have learned about the proximity aggro side of things. I always make sure that I am humping the mob as much as I can as long as I can see them.
Herbila - Warrior
Closed Thread