Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

I'm also trying to decide between a Dwarf Paladin, Cleric, or Warrior :P But I want to be a dwarf
Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I guess my top issues would be

1. Movement speed/mobility -> I know I can get jboots later in life, but thats a lot of money
2. Pulling -> Get tunnel vision and just sick of it after an hour or so
3. Damage/Utility -> I hate feeling like a group leech, I want to be considered a great player
4. Group requirement -> I really find playing solo boring, but I would like the option of being able to, I mostly want a class groups are begging to get, I hate having a few hours to play, then just LFG and browsing the forum
1. It doesn't cost much money since you can just camp it yourself between levels 40-50. Don't base your char on this. Jboots and buying ports is not worth choosing a character over. Since you think Jboots are expensive, shaman is out considering the spells will cost you over 200k eventually.

2. If you don't like pulling then monk, ranger and bard are all out. If there is no monk in group (or you are outdoors) then you are being lazy to not be the puller on a ranger / bard.

3. If you like damage and utility then shaman, enchanter, rogue and possibly necro / SK are in depending on your idea of utility. Druid, mage, wizard, warrior all severely lack in either damage or utility. Druid has both of these but is incredibly weak at higher levels outside of very specific circumstances.

4. If you want to be able to solo then rogue, SK and paladin are out. All are possible to solo with but it's slow and it sucks. No one will beg to have a necro in their group (even though they are good in groups) so that's out.

Literally the only class left is enchanter. Which would be my recommendation.

Enchanter is semi-OP, is only gear dependent on incredibly cheap items, is the second best soloer, one of the best groupers, has an easy-ish epic, has multiple different playstyles, can join chardok AE, has no faction issues... the list goes on. The only class better is a shaman with 350k to blow.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Last edited by fuark; 07-28-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Old 07-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

shadowknight (when played correctly) can make for a great DPS class. requires little healing, and can offtank in a pinch
Old 07-29-2016, 03:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shadowknight (when played correctly) can make for a great DPS class. requires little healing, and can offtank in a pinch
Enlighten me
Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Fire Giant

not knocking SKs, they are fun to play and that's my main on live but I would hardly consider them a "great dps class" relative to a comparatively-geared actual dps class, especially in Velious era
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard
My big problem with the mage I guess is that you dont do any damage compared to a melee class. I just felt like a burden half the time. My pet hits for 28 if I go for a max level pet (lvl 30 mage) but it just doesnt feel like I am contributing anything. Then you get resisted three times and did absolutely nothing but a few hundred damage with your pet.

Utility, I didnt like either, being able to gate and invis is great, but slow movement speed, no root, and if I get caught without my pet, I am done for. It only happened once but it really bothered me.
If these are your major complaints about the Mage, I think you should give it another shot. Your DPS becomes outstanding around level 50. The level 49 pets are ridiculously powerful, you've got a very nice 25 point DS and most importantly you can click the Burnt Wood Staff for a 333 dmg nuke every 12 seconds. That is massive sustained DPS, and that's not even counting your ability to dump your mana on nukes if burst DPS is required. Mages are some of the best DPS in the game.

As for movement: you can easily, easily either farm the plat for Jboots on a Mage or simply camp them yourself. Really, it's quite easy either way. Mage is the absolute best (you might argue tied with Necro) class for pure plat farming. You can't solo the high end mobs like an Enchanter or Shaman, but your pet can absolutely mow through guards, seafuries, hill giants, spectres, etc... and do so with essentially no risk.

As for the roots, get a bag full of Wooly Silk Spider Nets or Crystalline Silk Nets. The latter are dirt cheap and will save your life repeatedly even with a 2 second cast time. Eventually you will get a full bag of the instant cast (and rechargeable) Wooly Silk Nets, at which point not having the actual spell root becomes more of a minor annoyance than a big deal, since you can carry around 30 instant casts of root with you in one bag, which is more than sufficient for breaking camps solo or for the occasional emergency root when caught without a pet up.

Mage is a great middle ground class in terms of actions per minute. You aren't running around pulling or casting all the time, but you've got to keep your pet attacking, hasted and well positioned, should be spamming your Burnt Wood Staff as much as possible, recasting DS on the tank frequently, and summoning mod rods and other items as needed. You've also got a surprisingly diverse (for such a seemingly limited class) range of playstyles depending on whether you are soloing, duoing or grouping. Example: solo you should be using the pet reclaim method with a fire pet, duoing you might fear kite with a Necro or Druid, or pet tank with a healer. And grouped you'll be keeping up a DS, summoning items (and players with CoTH) and occasionally blowing your mana bar on nukes or emergency CCing with pet offtank and root nets on an overpull.

tl;dr there's a lot more to the Mage class than /pet attack while you med or run around in circles.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

OP I think your issues are more with your playstyle and less with your class itself.

Playing monk for a full group kinda sucks. Go for a duo with a shaman or a trio like mnk/shm/nec or mnk/clr/enc and you'll have a lot more fun.

Mages at low level only look bad due to ridiculous twinkage. Especially now that NPC DA/DW checks are up, Mages do a LOT of damage at high level.

There are plenty of people on the server who are lazy/bad. You have to make a friends list and/or join a guild and find the ones who don't suck.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

I might try to level up an enchanter. I like to HAVE things to do, I just don't like pulling 24/7.

I have a pretty decked out monk, and lots of alts with their own gear, so thankfully I can level each without too much fear
Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I might try to level up an enchanter. I like to HAVE things to do, I just don't like pulling 24/7.
Highly recommended... Definitely one of the most enjoyable classes (they make great pullers, too~)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 AM
Banned

Enchanter is so cool!
Closed Thread