Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scikala [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If this is true I know way to many bards, myself included who AFK'd for hours on end to keep up anything we weren't using in kites. But from personal experience I dont believe it to be so. After kiting up to 46 and getting an invite to CoM, I missed notes about 15 times in a row on the mez because my wind skill wasn't leveled. Even when I did the AFK level on Invis song it took awhile to get it going.

Personally, as a class with no double attack and no real means of doing actual melee dmg...sort of in line with Faerie I go with HP/AC/Resist/Cha/Dex

I was always under the impression we got meh returns from Sta, so I never put it too high on my list.
I did the same thing on live and woke up to find myself pvp dead a couple times :P

But a bard friend I made on SZ swore up and down that instrument skills didn't do anything beyond 1 point. We did some (admittedly limited) testing and logged ourselves each doing x number of casts of Cantata of Replenishment; me with my maxed skills and him with his skills that were never purposefully increased. The results were enough to convince me that he was right. This was live though, and like PoP era or a bit later maybe.

The way bard songs were impacted in strange ways every other patch on live leads me to believe that much of this isn't as simple as we'd hope. Honestly I'm really impressed that the P99 staff got the bard class working so well here, but I'm willing to bet that much of the bard mechanics here are not classic.

To be clear, I don't play a bard here. I was a somewhat geeky numbers bard on live. Do your own research for P99 imo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

BTW I found old EZboard TCH:

http://pub5.ezboard.com/btheconcerthall.html

EDIT: It probably wasn't Cantata of Replenishment, but the PoP level one. Whatever that was called.

Red99
Last edited by Faerie; 04-09-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seemed to miss notes way more often on wind type songs than I did on everything else, when my wind instrument skill was 150 less than the rest.
This, 100%

@Kek - This is why I said it after Faerie, saying if its true it doesnt effect anything I wasted my time.

Until we see proof in either column, all I can really say is I've had stuff just plain not work because of constant missed notes when my skill was down.

Bards are an odd class, and were broken on live constantly. I remember the running joke with every patch was that they did something to break bards.

I was Sk -> Beastlord on live, so all my bard experience is P99 based...so it's jumbled info from others and personal experience.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

BTW for stats I would go:

HP/MR > STA/AC > DEX/CHA/other resists > STR/AGI > waaaaay down here INT

Or sometimes other resists would be higher.

Red99
Last edited by Faerie; 04-09-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BTW for stats I would go:

HP/MR > STA/AC > DEX/CHA/other resists > STR/AGI > waaaaay down here INT

Or sometimes other resists would be higher.
More or less agree with this, but given the oddity that is bards - get whatever keeps you alive/makes you useful.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Sarnak

Also one little point with a mixture of gear a bard can get minus 84 cha, which is good for pulling from out of LOS with failed lulls. rare to use but worth considering having a anti cha set too
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

If Bard songs work the same as enchanter spells, CHA doesn't affect mez resist or duration - it's all level and MR based.

CHA affects lull hugely though (mostly chance of critical resist), and is the 3rd check for charm after level gap and MR. It also seems to have really bad returns after 200 CHA.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

I was given temporary access to a couple bards (thanks guys!) and plan to test a bunch of things. Just been super busy with RL stuff.

Will get back to you guys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Red99
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Banned

Yeah I made the change recently from CHA/DEX to HP/AC/Sta.
-Didnt notice a huge difference in singing.
-Didnt notice a huge difference in mezzing.
-I will however say that I notice more Crit Lull failures (mobs attack on lull resistance) and since our charm was always random as fuck being it only lasts 18 seconds or so i cant say anything about it. was better off mezzing.
And going from 1150hp~/650ac~ to 1700hp~/900ac~ is really.. really fucking noticeable. Even tanked for a few hours in Karnors with Largo's Absonant Binding. To all you aspiring bards out there, go human and slap everything into Sta
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Aviak

I have been playing str/dex/cha glass cannon style bard in low level grouping. My initial reaction so far is dex is only marginally helpful on reducing missed note, and I may end up dropping some of my heavy dex items (cloak of shadows) in the future because I just don't feel its very effective. Charisma and to a lesser extent strength just feel to be more useful to a grouping bard then dex.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Sarnak

High level bards should carry 3 sets of gear.

Charisma gear for pulling / CC'ing.

HP/AC gear for tanking.

Resist gear for raids.

Why settle on one?

Astuce
Closed Thread