Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

Default Monk AC and Weight - do we care?

With all the talk on how "broken" AC is here, do you monks pay much attention to your weight, as long as it isn't above your Str? Or have you noticed it makes much difference? The AC *rating* on the inventory pages definitely moves, but does that measurement mean anything really?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

later on in levels I've heard that the AC hit does actually start punishing you.

I think I have the wrong understanding of AC but I've always considered it to be the opposite of ATK, the more AC you have the less likely you'll get hit for max damage.. no clue if thats true or how much it actually effects how hard you get hit.
Last edited by Tann; 04-20-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Kobold

AC will be getting some adjustments for the better soon. Unless you are tanking mobs, you watch AC. The highest I go in extra coin weight over cap is 5 to 10 stones before I bank my coin and start again(soloing). If you are in a group and have a tank then it doesnt matter too much.

Edit: Also, post 50 ac works much better than below 50. Ive been parsing some fights and at 55 the tanking parses are fairly close to live.
Last edited by Nilasbik; 04-20-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
later on in levels I've heard that the AC hit does actually start punishing you.

I think I have the wrong understanding of AC but I've always considered it to be the opposite of ATK, the more AC you have the less likely you'll get hit for max damage.. no clue if thats true or how much it actually effects how hard you get hit.
My experience with AC at 51..

Fighting a Hill Giant in rathe for a few sessions, probably killed 100 or so:

15 stones and 840 displayed AC I mitigate most of their damage and avoid very often.
~30 stones and 780 displayed AC, I start to get hit for max more often.

~80 stones not sure the AC, I have trouble tanking them and need to rely on intimidation procs.

There is definitely a critical point when there is a shift in the damage taken curve. Where that is i could say.. but I feel its somewhere around 800 with conviction.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Short answer is yes, AC matters, and yes, you should keep your weight low when possible. You'll definitely notice yourself getting hit more often when soloing. I took more damage from yetis in DL at 44 when overweight than I did at 41 when underweight.

As far as statistics go, it's not as important as Saves or HP, but it definitely matters. AC is most important when soloing, since good AC can really cut your downtime, and low AC does the opposite.
Closed Thread