Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default Suspensions and bans

Why is it that someone gets punished, the community here instantly assumes the player is guilty and begins to berate them?

Another more curious thing is how these people being banned, often supported the "throw him to the lions" methodology, for others' being banned, then go to declare how bad this community is; after the role reversal has taken place.

Is this just a good example of herd behavior, or is there something else at work here that makes this community so consummately cantankerous?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Sarnak

wait...what?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Aviak

Because to question a GM decision is to get punished as well, so it just became the default response.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucrio40 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because to question a GM decision is to get punished as well, so it just became the default response.
So what you're saying is... Welcome to the virtual third world country?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Trimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchybottom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is it that someone gets punished, the community here instantly assumes the player is guilty and begins to berate them?
Because the GMs don't ban people on this server for no reason. They have a mountain of logs and server-side tracking tools to investigate each case. If a GM deems something is a bannable offense, chances are it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

cool down itchy, everything is fine as long as rogean runs P99
Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i choked on my beer
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because the GMs don't ban people on this server for no reason. They have a mountain of logs and server-side tracking tools to investigate each case. If a GM deems something is a bannable offense, chances are it is.
I was presented with logs that had nothing to do with the reason stated for my being banned. When I brought up facts that countered my ban, I was ignored / my thread deleted.

GMs will definately ban/suspend at their will. The project is ran like some sort of corrupt dictatorship out of the dark ages, which is sad because the spirit of the project / server is good.
Reiker is a 30 watt fluorescent bulb. Reiker is a former freelance writer. Reiker is not skilled in the craft of writing. Reiker is also Teacher of the Year at Apopka High School. Reiker is affiliated with 2 hospitals. Reiker is a remote controlled space heater in the winter. Reiker is rated "EXCELLENT" in the following areas:
Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

A wild White Knight appears!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warp detection for example has quite a few false positives, and there really isn't any type of detection method you can use for "boxing" that is reliable. You have to eye it and guess.

Example: I went to the trouble of writing an MQ2 plug-in that predicted movement on ProjectEQ, and told me which plug-in the user was using to follow their master. But if someone were to adjust the responsiveness or waypoint system used by their plug-in, my plug-in was made unreliable. Same goes for detection methods of common botting scripts, or behavior. Any deviation, and the detection is false, server side or not.

As far as a GM investigating in person, that's also difficult to determine if someone is boxing, or not. It's as I said, a guess at best. I could throw together automation that would fool a "Do this synchronized" test, but I don't think I could find a way to fool a test that pertains to the environment in game, e.g. "What am I standing by?" But you're right, in most cases, chances are... there is a reason for the ban, and it's probably witch hunting. It doesn't mean the entire server has to eat that person for lunch to prove some type of social patriotism. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait what, I thought Richardo was running p99?! I think we've lost some Focus here.
Closed Thread