Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

49 earth + 49 air w/ double lariats is pretty much a win button

when shit hits the fan however, ya better have Gate up.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Kobold

Depends on the goal - if they are just going to group with each other all the time, I don't think you can top nec/nec for pure ease of play.

Of course, if you just like a mag, then pair the mage with an enc for maximum versatility - mag has the hardest time breaking spawns, and that the enc can do that in addition to all the buffs? Again, ease of play.

But hey - if you like nec and you like mag, then pairing them together is also pretty good.

It's like asking which do you want, the BMW or the Mercedes? Either way, you've got a nice car~
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Mage+Necro, if those are the only choices. Fear kiting + snare + pet beatdown with no need to heal the pet (since the mob is feared) = awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleafclover [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like mage-cleric over mage shammy, but agree those are the best two choices. Necro or 2nd mage is superfluous, you just want the pet always at full health and killing. cleric vs. shammy - lull, more mana efficient heals, DA, more wiggle room w cleric buffs ... vs. canni and melee buffs.
Will have to disagree. The shaman would bring more to the table having slows and tossing on poison dots to help burn down the mob quicker. Not to mention at later levels the addition of the pet would allow for much speedier kills then what the cleric would bring. Faster the mob dies less you have to heal anyway not to mention the slow decreases the damage the mage pet would sustain tremendously. I think shaman is a complete better partner for a mage over a cleric.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Here's the main issue:

I really want to play a mage. I've never played one to very high level before. I already have a necro, and will probably make another one when Kunark is out (love Iksar necros). I REALLY don't need 3 necros. My wife is a true EQ newbie. She's played a few times over the years, but never gotten any characters over about level 10 or so. I'm pretty sure she will want to play a pet class, but who knows? Enchanter may be a bit tough for a real newbie (hell, it can be tough for a veteran- I know I'm still learning how to do it). Shaman? maybe. That would give us SoW, and the buffs would really help the pet to be even more of a monster. It is technically a pet class, though they don't get the pet for many levels. I think she'd really enjoy necro or mage, either one. She enjoyed playing a wizard the last time we played on live, but let's face it, the low-level wizard of 2010 live and P99 are not even close to being the same class. She was getting nukes that would take half or more of an even-con mob's health there.

As far as fear kiting- wouldn't that negate the biggest reason for using a fire pet: the damage shield? (and probably the biggest reason mages are so good at soloing)

So that's the thing. I REALLY want to play a mage. What would be the best partner for a mage that a true EQ newbie that likes pet classes would enjoy, and would make for a good duo? We will probably also join other groups from time to time, but they would have to be willing to take both of us. Also, given how little she is likely to play, we are probably NOT going to level very fast- so we'll be in the lower levels for quite some time.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by krforrester [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with mage + utility. However, for pure power, two mages could take down some tough mobs. Mage pet with ds and air pet for stuns. Two mages are a great combo for camping names, but the other options are much more efficient and useful for every day playing.
Necro / Wizard for instance.

I 'boxed' on EQLive - many different combos. That one frankly amazed me. Wizard just meds... Necro kites it down. Wizard just makes it into Ashes.

Can evac if you need to, can port too. If the wizard wants a more active role, they can get a good quad ready, the necro can dot them all up and FD while the Wizard quads them down the rest of the way.

For XP grinding, have the Necro Agro-kite it, Wizard just tosses a couple nukes to speed DPS and meds up.

Plus - that combo, has the distinct advantage of being able to Kite Hate, lol
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallenn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So that's the thing. I REALLY want to play a mage. What would be the best partner for a mage that a true EQ newbie that likes pet classes would enjoy, and would make for a good duo? We will probably also join other groups from time to time, but they would have to be willing to take both of us. Also, given how little she is likely to play, we are probably NOT going to level very fast- so we'll be in the lower levels for quite some time.
I'd think in that case... Mage/Mage. EQ Mage is really an awesome Pet class, I'm surprised it hasn't been 'copied' more by other MMO's.

Necro's good, but there is a bit more of a learning curve to kiting excellence, managing health vs mana, weaker pet, and such.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd think in that case... Mage/Mage. EQ Mage is really an awesome Pet class, I'm surprised it hasn't been 'copied' more by other MMO's.

Necro's good, but there is a bit more of a learning curve to kiting excellence, managing health vs mana, weaker pet, and such.
Mage/mage has a tendency to have trouble in later expansions. Assuming you're playing this combo for leveling purposes in classic only, then go for the mage/mage (though i frankly think necros may have it a bit easier). If you're looking for longevity i would highly discourage going for that combination. Mages have issues with indoor mobs (pet chaining is actually worse off in kunark/velious than a necro indoors, and you have hard hitting mobs to boot).

lvl 57 earth pet is level 49 3350 HP and hits for 72. This is WITH the earth staff from innoruuk. only a handful of mages on the server have this staff, and the revamp comes mid-way thru kunark where the loot table changes (innoruuk quits dropping it, it then drops from trash iirc). your 49 earth pet actually has MORE hp than your lvl 57 earth pet with the innoruuk staff. What i'm getting at is that pets aren't near as good during kunark/velious until you can manage to get your epic, which is probably the hardest epic in the game to acquire. And pets in general are nowhere near as viable as tanks and DPS in kunark/velious as they are now -- necro/shaman included.

Necros will get progressively better because other pet classes have to rely less on their pets as tanks (shaman and mage, though more so mage b/c of torpor/slow), where a necro can choose to root rot and fear kite and aggro kite, none of which require the pet to take a beating. Better mana conversion rates and the best DoTs in the game make them the fastest soloers by far. To boot, nearly all of the loot in kunark will be indoors, thus necro/shaman have it far easier than a mage would in tight situations.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Kobold

Necros are stronger in kunark. Mages are stronger now. I play both classes atm.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

I have to agree with Skope. Mages are going to get a rude awakening when they realize they are going to have to chain cast a pet like 3-4 times on your average dark blue trash mob post level 50 in Kunark. You will see a lot of frustrated mages /LFG.

2 mages would seriously cripple your duo.

Enchanter is a great choice but not newbie friendly.

Slightly lee versatile but still great is necro but again not the easiest to play. Not difficult... but not the easiest.

Shaman buffs will end up being useless (on the pet at least) in Kunark teamed up with a mage since buffing the mage pet would be a waste. If anything the shaman would be tanking while the page pet is spanking. In other words you are loosing a great deal of what the shaman has to offer.

Druid is a very newbie friendly class to play. They can port, snare, heal... the only downside I see to it is that the druid damage shield becomes useless in favor of the mage damage shield. Just thinking about having 2 classes that can bind, one with ports and the other with CoH in Kunark dungeons makes me drool.
Closed Thread