Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't want instances and I like competition. I think better sportsmanship all around would be a wind of good change on this server though. It all starts with me right? I for sure felt myself falling into the hate spiral and I can't handle the vitriol anymore from any side. Good sportsmanship on all sides could transform this server into something even better.

I learned it in like 3rd grade soccer, shake the hand of your competitor after a game regardless of how it went. You all end up at Dairy Queen with ice cream cones after anyway. I plan on living by what I learned a long time ago.

Instances would probably make me quit. Instances on live were a little different because the challenge came from trying targets that were ridiculously hard. The thrill was in the conquering of a new harder boss, not the race and chase. Here, not so much. Sure, there is thrill in killing a new mob but not the challenge of some of the raid targets in instances on live. Instances here would be mind numbingly boring. The fighting can be solved by the hundereds of adults that play here, me included.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Fire Giant

This idea is even better than the jump to conclusions mat.....
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Fire Giant

This is so outside the scope of the p99 team that this thread must be for shits-n-giggles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Aviak

If you can not beat them ... Join them. If you do not want to join them... Form a alliance with them. If you do not want to do either. Wait until they move on and it is your turn to raid that boss. It will happen just like it happened on live with Classic AKA PREsony.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Banned

no to instances.
yes to better sportsmanship.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Fire Giant

So what you're saying is.... if my guild were to compete with a top guild..and they were to kick my ass, that they would still take me out for Ice Cream?

I like this idea but let's not go to Dairy Queen that's the McDonalds of the frozen treats world. We play Everquest dammit we should get better quality frozen treats!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Kobold

Add population caps to zones. Would make it so guilds would have to pick and choose targets and work around each other instead of trying to steam roll each other target after target.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I grew up in the sticks, we had dairy queen and if you didn't like it, we had McDonalds. 1970's Shamrock Shakes in orange, yellow, and brown logo cups that leaked almost instantly were the shit.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Planar Protector

Firs of all, difficulty of a target is not related to the instancing in any way. You can have a guild drama over a target which is completely trivial to kill, and on other hand, you have an instanced encounter of INSANE difficulty, which only 1% of the guilds will be able to kill, regardless of how many free attempts they get at the target in question.
In other words, one has nothing to do with the other

Second, here is my thoughts on Instancing:

Pros:
-removes raid drama
-removes play time constraints
-removes need to race to the mob, since its always be available
-guarantees target availability on EVERY spawn spawn cycle
-allows guild to gear up MUCH faster

Cons:
-ruins the MMO world immersion
-removes guild competition
-removes the need of guild cooperation and values of sharing (in other words promotes anti-social behavior)
-caters to LARGER guilds, in case of truly difficult encounters (if target would be non instanced, then number of smaller guilds could combine powers to kill it, but guild instancing removes this option)
-greatly increase loot flow into the economy (even if loot is no drop, instancing means that many players get fully raid geared MUCH faster, since each guild automatically gets their own 100% guaranteed raid share), and contributes to player completing content faster, and running out of things to do
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmotzart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO not everyone deserves to see endgame content in a game. If you cant make it to the boss in your guild. Might think about helping your guild get better so you can get there or go play a bottlefed game where anyone with 2iq and 1 finger can kill the last boss in the game. goodbye and goodluck
Ever play a game with instance raids? Not all of them are as trivial as you may believe.

Competition in classic EQ and P1999 is about who plays the longest and who has the best batphone organization. The raid targets themselves are trivial to defeat.
Closed Thread