Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Default Survey on Office Furniture

Some of you folks own your own businesses, work from home, have a badass home office, or parent's bought you some sweet furnishings to P99 your brains out on.

My question is when you are considering furnishing an office, home-office or just your game-station, what stores do you look for furniture in? Do you go to office supply stores? Walmart? Ikea?

If it's an actual office, would you pick out and set up cubicles, offices, desks and all that stuff on your own or find a service that designs the layout and furnishes it for you?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

I've had good luck sourcing office furniture from:
  • Landlord - If you're renting an office space talk to him, he probably has a lot of junk in storage that previous tenants left behind. Free or low cost.
  • Consignment Shop - Got a killer deal here on a 3' x 5' pull out leaf table.
  • Craigslist - Particleboard "office furniture" cheaper than the retail stores. Just make sure it's in good shape and doesn't smell like smoke.
  • Custom Cabinet Maker - If you're doing a home office it's worth it to spend the extra bucks to make it look nice. You have to live with it after all.
I've never been to Ikea but that sounds like it might be a good option too.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Aeron-Chair for the chairs. A+ would buy again.

(They are spendy, but these chairs let your ass breath for long sitting sessions, and are very comfortable IMO)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Check out your local universities to see what they do with their old office stuff. The university I work for has a sale open to the public one weekend a month where they sell basically anything you could think up. A lot of the stuff is trashy, but I've had friends pick up cool old drafting desks and mid-century style office furniture for dirt cheap. Another friend snagged a bunch of old dental/medical lights from like the 50s that look pretty dope lighting their apt now. Most universities don't really value the stuff and just want to get rid of it, so they ask for basically nothing and seem pretty open to haggling.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

All I can say is that a quality chair is worth the investment.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

I'd say it all just really depends on what you're doing and how much you want to spend. I don't spend a whole lot on my home office, which is more of a recording studio nowadays, but I've spent a ton on my work office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My question is when you are considering furnishing an office, home-office or just your game-station, what stores do you look for furniture in? Do you go to office supply stores? Walmart? Ikea?
If you're okay with medium quality veneer style particleboard/wood and cheap aluminum, meaning you don't mind the look and realize it won't hold up forever, then the office supply stores are sufficient. That is what I have used for my office admins and it has worked out okay, but I've come to find that it's hit or miss on build quality with that stuff and have had to replace pieces after only a few years (the veneer will peel or edging pieces will come loose/off). You can get some great chairs from the office supply stores for prices that won't break the bank, though. I tend to stay away from Walmart at all costs so I can't say much for their furniture and about the same with Ikea because I'm not impressed with the build quality I've seen of my friends' home purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it's an actual office, would you pick out and set up cubicles, offices, desks and all that stuff on your own or find a service that designs the layout and furnishes it for you?
I wouldn't hire a service company to provide cubicles and office equipment as it seems any real discounts they can provide are offset by the service charges unless maybe you're doing multiple floors with hundreds of people. On a larger scale you'll just work with a supplier's inside sales rep to get a bunch of cubicles, desks, chairs, filing cabinets, and it usually doesn't cost anything extra. On a smaller scale just purchase it yourself. Spend some time checking out local office supply stores and compare them to stores online, just make sure to expect freight charges on anything ordered that could also offset any potential savings and that it will most likely require assembly which has a time cost associated with it. As far as figuring out space usage and cubicle setup, that can usually be included by the engineer during a tenant build-out if you're going that direction. You tell them how many people you need to put in the space and they'll help figure out placement. Not all engineers do this, though. On the small scale, if you can use a tape measure, put your skills to use.

Personally, I've bought my desk, bookshelves, and chairs from Ethan Allen for my work office, and I've made sure that any work areas that a customer may go through on the way to my office has higher quality furnishings despite their role for the company. I get tons of compliments on my leather-top desk. For most of the offices/employees outside of my customer's line of sight I've gone with the less expensive office supply store furnishings. Be prepared to look into the sit-stand desks if you're doing a furnishing project. Those are all the rage right now.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah that's right bitches I'm from like the furniture capital of the world - Grand Rapids, Michigan

We find like $1000 office chairs and $5000 antiques on the street.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Are these chairs being used for a office for account trading and RMTing?
Closed Thread