Planar Protector

safe* fuk
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So giving food products to people who can't afford to buy said food product will cause an economic collapse? Because these people were obviously going to buy up all the food anyway, that's why they are starving. Use your common sense. Throwing food in the landfill is doing no one any good. Economic excuses for obvious greed? Get a grip.
No. As I mentioned, often times excess goods can, and should, be given to indigent groups that are not active marketplace participants. The Costco example seems silly, and it's unfortunate that the needy will not be given that food.

However, I am not justifying Costco's specific action. I am instead taking exception with your repeated crucifixion of "greed' when you're connecting the entire picture with the consequences of your outrage.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. As I mentioned, often times excess goods can, and should, be given to indigent groups that are not active marketplace participants. The Costco example seems silly, and it's unfortunate that the needy will not be given that food.

However, I am not justifying Costco's specific action. I am instead taking exception with your repeated crucifixion of "greed' when you're connecting the entire picture with the consequences of your outrage.
If you can do something for someone that really needs it. Like give food products to starving families, but you don't because somewhere down the line it might affect your stock portfolio, is greed. What else would you call it?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mouth chew [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
beer should only have 4 ingredients anyway
Will have to disagree since there are some great adjuncts that can bring some great flavors to beers. Even if you took away the adjuncts you will still want to use more than 4 ingredients; unless you are going to group like items together (all hops used would still be considered 1 ingredient, and all the different grains would be a second ingredient, using 2 or more strains of yeast would be 3rd ingredient, and of course water (which alone could add a ton of different ingredients if you are hoping to clone a particular style).
Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can do something for someone that really needs it. Like give food products to starving families, but you don't because somewhere down the line it might affect your stock portfolio, is greed. What else would you call it?
You are talking like you can target someone for making this choice, either through naivety or misinformation. The truth is we all make this decision every time we shop, or do not shop but can (or sell or not sell something we produce).
Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Look, how does the "right" number of oranges get to a mom & pop grocer on Manhattan Island so that they have enough to satisfy everyone who wants to buy one yet not have too many so that they don't make a profit? An orange that came from a huge plantation in Florida, semitrailored to a warehouse in New Jersey, and shipped via a produce truck through the busy streets. Are mom & pop New Yorker dastardly geniuses of supply chain management? If so they are the ones starving children in the Sudan and you have your guilty party.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are talking like you can target someone for making this choice, either through naivety or misinformation. The truth is we all make this decision every time we shop, or do not shop but can (or sell or not sell something we produce).
Yeah you're right. I remember Costco giving me a ring and asking my opinion on the million jar peanut butter dump. Shopping for rood is not greedy. I don't buy more food than I can eat and then dump it in the garbage. This is a line spewed by economists and used to make us feel accountable for corporate greed. I am not responsible for the fact that millions of people starve every day. My buying food for my family to eat does not absolve corporations for making purely monetary decisions like dumping food instead of feeding people.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, how does the "right" number of oranges get to a mom & pop grocer on Manhattan Island so that they have enough to satisfy everyone who wants to buy one yet not have too many so that they don't make a profit? An orange that came from a huge plantation in Florida, semitrailored to a warehouse in New Jersey, and shipped via a produce truck through the busy streets. Are mom & pop New Yorker dastardly geniuses of supply chain management? If so they are the ones starving children in the Sudan and you have your guilty party.
Who said anything about a mom&pop store being greedy?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

you're comparing peanut butter to oranges

not exactly similar shelf lives anyways
Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Rational self-interest that enables and perpetuates a modern standard of living for the largest number of people possible under the capitalist model.

If Costco decided to just up and waste the food that'd be one thing, and yes, it'd be stupid. However, after looking it up, it appears that Costco's refusal to distribute / sell comes from a salmonella concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig
My buying food for my family to eat does not absolve corporations for making purely monetary decisions like dumping food instead of feeding people.
When you walk past a starving homeless person do you give them the money in your wallet? When that runs out, do you give them all the money in your checking account? It seems that you're making a purely monetary decision. You make these decisions every day. The moment you withhold something for your self that is not essential to your staying alive, you make a decision similar to what has been done. Yes, if you buy food simply to waste it that is bad. But if you've got an economic justification for your actions, it begins to make sense in the aggregate.

I noticed you've missed some of my earlier posts. As I wrote above, donated clothing often decimates local textile industries. In that case, yes, it can often be better to dump the material. While one or two people might freeze if you dump, hundreds might freeze if the local textiles industry went under.
Closed Thread