Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-09-2023, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation Concerning deities

I fucking love that the devs spent time creating gods for their world, and did the work to implement the code that would allow players to choose a deity- all for it to basically not matter at all, except from a very minor faction perspective. This decision (design flaw?) resulted in a system that was pure fun for its own sake, as well as having roleplay merit.

My hot take:

Agnostic enchanter is the most basic bitch move a person can make at the character select screen. It's a clear indication that a person is lacking in creativity, and admitting to making such a boring decision is simply outing yourself as uninteresting.

This goes for other classes too ofc, enchanters are just the ones you see nerds carrying on about. You never see these people insisting that gnome clerics should never ever go with Bertoxxulous bc then you'll be kos to a handful of NPCs on Antonica, though the logic is the same.

Like, does no one care about roleplay anymore? If you don't think up complicated backstories for your elf, why are you even playing an elf simulator to begin with? Your silly halfling warrior could believe in nothing in particular at all, or he could be a devout follower of the motherfucking God of War! Click Rallos Zek at character creation, and BAM- instantly 10x cooler. Now your macros can include text about spilling blood to appease Zek, or w/e fun and interesting thing you come up with.

Rolling a monk? Start in freeport loser, and if you love Qeynos so much run there and be the only peace-loving person in town. Bonus points for the more creative and unique you can get with it. I had a Veeshan-following monk on live I never played. Does anyone even remember having the chance to roll one? The best deity choice for enchanter is either Bertoxxulous (if evil) or Rodcet Nife (if good) because these have the most wtf factor. High elf casters should always go Karana or Erollisi, unless there is some compelling RP reason to choose something else. Innoruuk is the clear choice for half elf warriors, as Bertoxx is for rogues.

Anyway. Point made.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quite a few demi-gods would have filled out the list a bit more too, as some race/class combinations are fairly limited. Bards of course are spoiled for choice, but there's an obvious one for them that didn't make the cut...

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/Ayonae_Ro

Quote:
Created at the whim of the demi-goddess Druzzil Ro for the purpose of creating music to soothe the soul, Ayonae Ro grew to develop powers and a distinct personality of her own. Druzzil sacrificed a small portion of her own place to create a new realm to be dominated by Ayonae Ro, the Demi-Plane of Music.

Ayonae can not only cause others to become caught up in her music to the point of feeling the emotions therein, she is able to mold and shape the very realm in which she lives, much as her mother does with her own magical skills.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You never see these people insisting that gnome clerics should never ever go with Bertoxxulous

Well that was a bad example...
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly, RP aside, Inny dark elf rogue is a fun choice because of how hated you are by NPCs. Every other combo is either some blend of good or neutral. Rogues have tools to get around pretty much any agro situation and only Inny dark elves really get to use them in most towns. And you can randomly murder pretty much everyone without any guilt.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:50 AM
Sarnak

If picking a deity gave bonuses and such like +1 to a stat every x2 or x3 levels fuckyeah
Following Rallos Zek giving +1str/sta every 2 levels? sign me the fuck up
Following Mith Marr giving +2sta/1wis every 2 levels?
Tunare 1 wis/int/cha every 3 levels?
karana 1 sta/1wis every 2 levels?
solusek ro giving 1 int/1cha every 2 levels?

I have serious regrets spending over a week in EC looking for a human smith who can make my Barb War some Zek armor on green because diety gear always gets screwed over somehow or another. that time and alt got fucked by some otters in velious
Old 02-10-2023, 02:02 AM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, RP aside, Inny dark elf rogue is a fun choice because of how hated you are by NPCs. Every other combo is either some blend of good or neutral. Rogues have tools to get around pretty much any agro situation and only Inny dark elves really get to use them in most towns. And you can randomly murder pretty much everyone without any guilt.
<3 Cecily <3

EDIT: actually i'm doing this now. it's a big mistake to be back in Norrath, but my DE rogue has been hanging out in Kelethin since lvl 1 xD
Last edited by pink grapefruit; 02-10-2023 at 02:24 AM..
Old 02-10-2023, 02:28 AM
Sarnak

Might as well do the other deities while im on a 20 minute run through the karanas
Bertox: 1 int/1dr every 2 levels
Bristlebane: 1agi/dex every 2 levels
Cazic: 1str/1int every 2 levels
Inny: 1agi/1int every 2 levels
Ero: 2cha/1wis every 2 levels
Nife: 1sta/1wis/1pr every 2 levels
Prexus: 1wis/int/1cr every 2 levels
Quill: 2sta/1mr every 2 levels
Brell: 1str/1wis/1fr every 2 levels
Tribunal: i dont know. think i already did str/wis
Wurmqueen: 1 all resist every 2 levels
Old 02-10-2023, 04:36 AM
Fire Giant

I liked on Sullon Zek that agnostic wasn't an option, I felt that it should have always been that way.

I would love if there were more Deity-restricted items, especially for less common choices like Erollisi or Prexus
Old 02-11-2023, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Agnostic enchanter is the most basic bitch move a person can make at the character select screen. It's a clear indication that a person is lacking in creativity, and admitting to making such a boring decision is simply outing yourself as uninteresting.
Nah, you're uninteresting.

But yeah, the faction system is lame and uninspired overall.

Like just recently I was getting spawn camped over and over and over by a corrupted faun at the plane of growth tree. How does it make any sense that all those Tunarean NPCs would just allow that corrupted faun to just do whatever it wants in the tree and kill an Elf over and over and over?
Old 02-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Never realy looked into it but their are some quests for Deity only usable items. Some actualy suck some have decent effects but most were ok slot fillers, before Velious or some High end gear drops. For the true hard core players. Im currently looking into doing Warden Symbol of Tunare for my 31 druid.