Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-15-2023, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

I think the chances of a new Green anytime soon are small, and the chances of a new Red even smaller.

That being said, as I've said many times before, if P99 is serious about being classic (and thus having a PvP option), that option needs to be teams. Any sort of individual PvP devolves into de-leveled epic-wielding twinks ganking newbies, and that just kills all interest in the server.

With teams, the PvPers have an incentive to go fight "the other team", or to defend the newbies of their team. It completely changes the alignment of incentives, towards a positive/healthy server.

Such a server will never be as popular as blue/green, but it could at least sustain a decent population, perpetually.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

consider red
Old 02-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infectious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pvp is fun, but it's what a new red server brings that I would vote no. Salty training the ec tunnel for months . Spamming ec tunnel auc channel for a red server.
Trolling rogean and crew.

These people deserve nothing and it's actually nice having them not here.
i get that your a fanboi for the gms but....

you think thats a red specific thing? green had people training ec tunnel its first week so idk what you're smoking.

if you're gonna be a yes man, least get the facts str8
Old 02-15-2023, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the chances of a new Green anytime soon are small, and the chances of a new Red even smaller.

That being said, as I've said many times before, if P99 is serious about being classic (and thus having a PvP option), that option needs to be teams. Any sort of individual PvP devolves into de-leveled epic-wielding twinks ganking newbies, and that just kills all interest in the server.

With teams, the PvPers have an incentive to go fight "the other team", or to defend the newbies of their team. It completely changes the alignment of incentives, towards a positive/healthy server.

Such a server will never be as popular as blue/green, but it could at least sustain a decent population, perpetually.
The real fear with a teams server is that we end up with a Sullon Zek problem where one team dominates the server and the other team(s) don't get any raid content. Or depending on ruleset, having a Tallon Zek problem where crossteaming is so rampant it basically just becomes a FFA server with extra steps.

I believe any issues though would be basically resolved with timely fresh starts. All the red players have been wanting for many years now is a new server where everyone starts at level 1 again. If the server automatically rolled all their characters into blue at the end of the Velious timeline and started again, I think we would see a very healthy population regardless of ruleset.

Red players like to point out specific issues with the ruleset and blame that for the poor population, but what really killed the server is stagnation. Starting things over again on even footing would bring most people back, and again bring in some bluebie types to experience the chaos.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful reply. Idk why most bluebies get so mean whenever pvp is mentioned.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:16 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...that option needs to be teams. Any sort of individual PvP devolves into de-leveled epic-wielding twinks ganking newbies, and that just kills all interest in the server.

I would very much like to play this.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real fear with a teams server is that we end up with a Sullon Zek problem where one team dominates the server and the other team(s) don't get any raid content. Or depending on ruleset, having a Tallon Zek problem where crossteaming is so rampant it basically just becomes a FFA server with extra steps.

I believe any issues though would be basically resolved with timely fresh starts. All the red players have been wanting for many years now is a new server where everyone starts at level 1 again. If the server automatically rolled all their characters into blue at the end of the Velious timeline and started again, I think we would see a very healthy population regardless of ruleset.

Red players like to point out specific issues with the ruleset and blame that for the poor population, but what really killed the server is stagnation. Starting things over again on even footing would bring most people back, and again bring in some bluebie types to experience the chaos.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful reply. Idk why most bluebies get so mean whenever pvp is mentioned.
I played on Tallon from 2000-2004, crossteaming was largely focused on "Humans, Elves, Shorties" (Lighties) vs the evil team. And there was some cross-teaming guilds that had all of them. There were also some that were team specific. And from what I recall most were okay with pvping other "teams". So I don't recall cross-teaming being a major issue. It created a great dynamic in the game, and I remember my best EQ experiences on TZ.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:48 PM
Planar Protector

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on Tallon from 2000-2004, crossteaming was largely focused on "Humans, Elves, Shorties" (Lighties) vs the evil team. And there was some cross-teaming guilds that had all of them. There were also some that were team specific. And from what I recall most were okay with pvping other "teams". So I don't recall cross-teaming being a major issue. It created a great dynamic in the game, and I remember my best EQ experiences on TZ.
Seems Pande never got the memo. Also ask the dark team guilds if they thought x-teaming was an issue lol.

I'm VZ, we were very similar but managed to do it better imo.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seems Pande never got the memo. Also ask the dark team guilds if they thought x-teaming was an issue lol.

I'm VZ, we were very similar but managed to do it better imo.
Yeah but everyone hated Pandemonium, and often were hostile to them.
I was on the Dark Team, my main was an Iksar Shaman. We had a lot of solidarity - a lot more than any other team.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah but everyone hated Pandemonium, and often were hostile to them.
I was on the Dark Team, my main was an Iksar Shaman. We had a lot of solidarity - a lot more than any other team.
Sorry, I gotta give you some shit bc VZ pride.

Sadly I think the magic we experienced with our soft-coded race-based teams will never happen again. If that exact ruleset was introduced now I feel pretty certain that everyone would just xteam immediately instead of doing the fun RP stuff. Gotta go SZ hard-coded; also deity-based is actually a cooler idea imo.

I was never dark team. Elf purist while leveling, then xteam scum for endgame. Did the dark team people not hate the "lighties" for their xteaming hypocrisy?
Old 02-15-2023, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I think the chances of a new Green anytime soon are small
What makes you say that? A new green is very much wanted and desired. They have the code. Release new green, worry about the merge from green 1.0 to blue later.