Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 02-15-2023, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

I am betting it has to do with the deal that was made with Daybreak and that's why we haven't heard anything.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

They are getting everything just exactly perfect on the new red before making any green announcements guys, you'll see, its really happening this time.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxy12 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i get that your a fanboi for the gms but....

you think thats a red specific thing? green had people training ec tunnel its first week so idk what you're smoking.

if you're gonna be a yes man, least get the facts str8
Ya. It was red players begging for a new server. Like they did on blue, years ago.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah but everyone hated Pandemonium, and often were hostile to them.
I was on the Dark Team, my main was an Iksar Shaman. We had a lot of solidarity - a lot more than any other team.
Who was your main on TZ?
Old 02-16-2023, 03:42 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infectious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya. It was red players begging for a new server. Like they did on blue, years ago.

in fairness, red blue and green players all want a server, not just red.

so if i got this right.... you like pvp, you seem to think only red wants a new server, and red is the only place people troll gm's, spam chat, or train ec tunnel? and you'd vote no on it?

reasons you're slow
1=u like pvp but vote no anyway (or lied about liking it)
2=you're confused thinking people dont troll gms on green/blue also
3=same goes for spamming chat or training places like tunnel

then again, yes men never been much for using their brains to make a valid point, more of a off the top of the head, not based and fact / whatever the people you're yessin say.

yes men, the Redgren Grumbholdt of logic.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxy12 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in fairness, red blue and green players all want a server, not just red.

so if i got this right.... you like pvp, you seem to think only red wants a new server, and red is the only place people troll gm's, spam chat, or train ec tunnel? and you'd vote no on it?

reasons you're slow
1=u like pvp but vote no anyway (or lied about liking it)
2=you're confused thinking people dont troll gms on green/blue also
3=same goes for spamming chat or training places like tunnel

then again, yes men never been much for using their brains to make a valid point, more of a off the top of the head, not based and fact / whatever the people you're yessin say.

yes men, the Redgren Grumbholdt of logic.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-16-2023, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real fear with a teams server is that we end up with a Sullon Zek problem where one team dominates the server and the other team(s) don't get any raid content. Or depending on ruleset, having a Tallon Zek problem where crossteaming is so rampant it basically just becomes a FFA server with extra steps.

I believe any issues though would be basically resolved with timely fresh starts. All the red players have been wanting for many years now is a new server where everyone starts at level 1 again. If the server automatically rolled all their characters into blue at the end of the Velious timeline and started again, I think we would see a very healthy population regardless of ruleset.

Red players like to point out specific issues with the ruleset and blame that for the poor population, but what really killed the server is stagnation. Starting things over again on even footing would bring most people back, and again bring in some bluebie types to experience the chaos.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful reply. Idk why most bluebies get so mean whenever pvp is mentioned.
You're absolutely right that the team mechanics would need to be well-thought-out. Having rolling restarts is one approach, having a new take on teams and "territory" would be another, /guildwar is another, and there are probably other ways to approach it as well. Personally, I'm 100% agnostic to the approach.

I just think the underying system of "every man for himself" is fine for a game like Quake, but it doesn't work for a MMOG. You need a system that somehow promotes healthy PvP, not one that encourages griefers to grief off all the new folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes you say that? A new green is very much wanted and desired. They have the code. Release new green, worry about the merge from green 1.0 to blue later.
Because a new server is a lot of work for the staff, and so it would seem to require a lot of motivation on their part.

I'm not saying it will never happen, and I'd imagine that the the longer we go between servers, the more motivated they'll get (if only because they'll forget what a PITA Green 1.0 was for them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

... but I just don't see signs of such motivation right now. I'd love to be wrong.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're absolutely right that the team mechanics would need to be well-thought-out. Having rolling restarts is one approach, having a new take on teams and "territory" would be another, /guildwar is another, and there are probably other ways to approach it as well. Personally, I'm 100% agnostic to the approach.

I just think the underying system of "every man for himself" is fine for a game like Quake, but it doesn't work for a MMOG. You need a system that somehow promotes healthy PvP, not one that encourages griefers to grief off all the new folks.
oh i don't really disagree, and teams pvp is my jam bc that's what i did on live. and i don't know if anyone remember this, but back before there was talk of a discord server the devs were talking teams pvp. that was back when sirken was on staff.

as a very specific sort of eq nerd i would love it if someone would nerd out with me about potential teams pvp rulesets.

the most important thing imo is to ensure the teams mostly make sense from a RP standpoint. none of this "iksar and gnomes as one team" nonsense. really i think the SZ teams make the most sense, maybe with neutral team able to group (but not guild) with good and evil teams, and maybe let necros worship sol ro or something.

gonna stop myself before i spam everyone with a pointless dissertation on pvp rulesets lol
Old 02-16-2023, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the chances of a new Green anytime soon are small, and the chances of a new Red even smaller.

That being said, as I've said many times before, if P99 is serious about being classic (and thus having a PvP option), that option needs to be teams. Any sort of individual PvP devolves into de-leveled epic-wielding twinks ganking newbies, and that just kills all interest in the server.

With teams, the PvPers have an incentive to go fight "the other team", or to defend the newbies of their team. It completely changes the alignment of incentives, towards a positive/healthy server.

Such a server will never be as popular as blue/green, but it could at least sustain a decent population, perpetually.
The problem with Teams is that whichever high-end guild gives in to cross-teaming first, automatically wins.

I remember back on TZ, it went from the intended four Racial Teams, to Good (Elves, Humans & Shorts) v. Evil because the Dark Team alone had such a high population. Then, after Pandemonium, x-teaming became the only viable strategy.

I remember there were some long-term holdouts into Velious, like Human Retribution, but eventually those guilds fizzled out because it just wasn't a viable gameplay strategy.

Server would have to be hard coded both offensively and defensively. No healing or buffing players on another Team, or you end up with OOR healers ruining every PVP encounter
Last edited by HalflingWarrior; 02-16-2023 at 09:53 PM..
Old 02-16-2023, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenkiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am betting it has to do with the deal that was made with Daybreak and that's why we haven't heard anything.
we should expand on this.

that daybreak deal governs literally everything p99 does

you folks remember how green launch got pushed up several months, that was because of a TLP launch.

look at the future for a long break in anything new coming from daybreak, that's where you'll see something new on P99

things look kinda slow for live EQ this year, so looks like june onward is the open window for Project 1999 to make a move.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-2023-roadmap